herbals

herbals

kaf

28 Aug 2002, 21:01 #1

i would like to know what people on this site feel about herbal tocacco(legal stuff). although it contains no nicotine or tobacco you still get carbon monoxide and tar from them yet they sell them at health food shops? i find that strange.
has anyone on this site used them as an aid to giving up nicotine?

yours - interested kaf
nearly 7 days free

Joel

28 Aug 2002, 21:30 #2

Forget it. Taking a herbal cigarette with the idea that it is somehow going to help you quit smoking is pretty much the same concept as giving an alcoholic grape juice because it looks like wine to treat alcoholism--with one noteable exception--grape juice is pretty much harmless--herbal cigarettes are in fact potentially dangerous as is any product that is burned and then inhaled into your lungs. Plus there are some issues which cigarettes being marketed as herbal or natural and still having tobacco in them. (see http://www.quackwatch.org/02ConsumerPro ... ettes.html)

Kaf, you are new here. You will quickly see we are not a group looking for quick fix gimmicks or an easy way out of smoking--people are here because they want to break their nicotine addiction and break their associated habits as well. They are here to improve their overall health and not pick up other dangerous habits in substitution for cigarettes.

I brought up a few strings that address the issue from a few different angles, and I do think we have a string somewhere on herbal cigarettes that I can't locate at the moment. If you want this quit to stick start working on the premise that the way to break your addiction and your associated habits is not by looking for a new product to inhale but rather by just knowing when it comes to smoking the way to end it is to never take another puff!

Joel

Related strings:

"A safer way to smoke?"
Crutches to Quit Smoking
The easy way to quit smoking
Nicotine vs. marijuana
Last edited by Joel on 04 Jul 2013, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

kaf

28 Aug 2002, 21:50 #3

thanks for your prompt reply joel - yes i am new here and have a lot to learn

kaf

IrinaGold2

28 Aug 2002, 22:01 #4

Dear Kaf,

I would not recommend it, not that I have tried. There is just no logic - the only reason to smoke cigarettes is the nicotine addiction. A herbal cigarette presumably does not contain nicotine, so it will not satisfy a craving, plus it will release all the harmful by-products of burning.

I think Joel is right about no quick gimmicks to quit; the same is valid for the NRT you mentioned in your first post - you were lucky that you did not try it. I tried to quit for more than 3 years using NRT and the fact that I am here on this site is a proof that NRT DOES NOT work (& it costs a fortune).

Irina

1 week 1 day 14 hours
215 cigarettes not smoked

PS. I am a newbie myself - I think we quit and posted at roughly the same time. Good luck!

John (Gold)

28 Aug 2002, 22:35 #5

Our philosophy here at Freedom is really rather simple. Although we each may have a few adjustments to make, we don't need give up anything in our lives except for our sources of nicotine. The flip-side of the coin is also true. None of us need to pick-up, rely upon or develop any new crutches or habits either. This temporary adjustment period called quitting can be challenging enough in its own right. Why make it any more so!

There's just one rule that we each must follow in order to 100% guarantee permanent freedom - just one day at a time, never put nicotine into these bodies again!

OBob Gold

20 Nov 2002, 04:45 #6

...what John and Joel said.

Rickgoldx5

20 Nov 2002, 04:59 #7

Imagewhat obob said

OBob Gold

08 Nov 2003, 17:19 #8

What Rick (Jackrabit) said.

Joel

08 Nov 2003, 20:53 #9

What OBob just said.

Okay, just kidding. But I do want to reiterate what I originally said on this topic for the benefit of all people reading this:

Taking a herbal cigarette with the idea that it is somehow going to help you quit smoking is pretty much the same concept as giving an alcoholic grape juice because it looks like wine to treat alcoholism--with one notable exception--grape juice is pretty much harmless--herbal cigarettes are in fact potentially dangerous as is any product that is burned and then inhaled into your lungs. Plus there are some issues which cigarettes being marketed as herbal or natural and still having tobacco in them. (see http://www.quackwatch.org/02ConsumerPro ... ettes.html)

We are not a group looking for quick fix gimmicks or an easy way out of smoking--people are here because they want to break their nicotine addiction and break their associated habits as well. They are here to improve their overall health and not pick up other dangerous habits in substitution for cigarettes.

Below are a few strings that address the issue from a few different angles. If a person wants a quit to stick he or she must start working on the premise that the way to break his or her addiction and the associated habits is not by looking for a new product to inhale but rather by just knowing when it comes to smoking the way to end it is to never take another puff!

Joel

Related strings:

"A Safer Way to Smoke?"

Crutches to Quit Smoking

The Easy Way Out

Nicotine Vs. Marijuana

Coolmare2green

10 Nov 2003, 00:45 #10

I tried them and they didn't work--- in fact i think they just made the cravings worse--- i relapsed using them, so wouldn't recommend.
Mary
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 1 Week 2 Days 12 Hours 11 Minutes 19 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 395. Money saved: $90.87.