Have you noticed some of these "lost" long-term quits?

CindyL 106

15 Feb 2006, 07:44 #81

Joel....thanks for pulling this one to the top today. For me, this concept is one of the most powerful doses of truth that I've learned here at Freedom.....I previously lost a 4 and 1/2 year quit by not understanding this fundamental principle. But yesterday when I conquered one of my strongest craves during this quit, I did it by reminding myself that

"Your options are to smoke nothing or to smoke everything"

And in my mind I could just see that nasty picture of all the butts overflowing the ashtray. NTAP.
So simple and so important. Thanks!!

Cindy

I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 6 Days, 6 hours and 44 minutes. I have saved $166.04 by not smoking 1,107 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 20 hours and 15 minutes of my lifeImage.

Kristie

11 Mar 2006, 01:27 #82

Thanks for this Joel,
I was taking a walk this morning and thought about a cigarette. I felt aggravated that I had the thought and wondered if I would still be having these thoughts twenty years from now. However, I reasoned that I only have these thoughts once or twice a day now (after only three weeks of being nicotine free) as opposed to the constant thought of wanting to quit for who knows how many years. Even if I have to have one or two craves a day for the rest of my life, it is worth the trade of never being addicted to nicotine again. You are, so right when you say NTAP.

Kristie - Free and Healing for Twenty One Days, 14 Hours and 56 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 432 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $70.12.

quitforgood

04 Jun 2006, 11:21 #83

Thanks Joel for this post. You are right - there are only two choices, to smoke all or to smoke none. I choose none. Brenda

chel

04 Jun 2006, 18:51 #84

Thanks for this post I am going for lunch with my prtner who is a smoker and this is an excellent reminder that I am an addict who has no wish to be ruled by nicotine again!Image
I have been quit for 2 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 5 hours, 50 minutes and 51 seconds (83 days). I have saved £216.43 by not smoking 832 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 21 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 13/03/2006 06:00

Joel

04 Jun 2006, 20:38 #85

For Mary:

My guess is that lots of the people in these examples had reached the point that they "almost" never thought about smoking anymore. The operative word here is "almost." Obviously, one day they did and being that they had not had to talk themselves out of taking a puff in a long time, they were unprepared when a thought came out of nowhere. That lack of preparation cost them their quits, and in some cases, it may very well have ended up costing them their lives.

The more you can reinforce your memory of why you quit and why you wish to stay off is to continue to read and remind yourself of why you first quit and why you should still be committed to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

13 Aug 2006, 23:45 #86

My guess is that lots of the people in these examples had reached the point that they "almost" never thought about smoking anymore. The operative word here is "almost." Obviously, one day they did and being that they had not had to talk themselves out of taking a puff in a long time, they were unprepared when a thought came out of nowhere. That lack of preparation cost them their quits, and in some cases, it may very well have ended up costing them their lives.

The more you can reinforce your memory of why you quit and why you wish to stay off is to continue to read and remind yourself of why you first quit and why you should still be committed to never take another puff.

Joel

juneseven06

17 Aug 2006, 03:59 #87

Nicotine will always be in controll if given even one little puff. You can not be in control once you start to play with it, The only way to controll nicotine is not to use ANY.

JoeJFree Gold

15 Apr 2007, 13:47 #88

Nicotine is nicotine is nicotine. Nicotine is stronger than you are, it has controlled you for years and maybe even decades. Even though you knew it was harming you and possibly killing you, nicotine made you keep delivering it over and over again day by day. You will not win this battle by being stronger than it, you will win it by being smarter than it. Use your intellect in this effort. Know your enemy inside and out. To stay in control, give up the idea that you can control nicotine. You can't control quantity.

Your options are to smoke nothing or to smoke everything.

This translates to you can stop delivering nicotine and live, or deliver it once and use it over and over again till it cripples and kills you. If you prefer the former, stay focused on to stay free of tobacco products and stay in control you must never take another puff!

Joel

JoeJFree Gold

23 Jul 2007, 21:08 #89

Your options are to smoke nothing or to smoke everything.

Simply choose none - only for the rest of today.

starbirder.ffn

25 Sep 2007, 11:44 #90

Image "What Your Mind Can First Conceive, Begin To Believe, You Can Achieve!" from Roger-Gold 5 years
I do believe, I can achieve, with my mind saying; to never taking another puff.
Star- 73 days healing