Pilar28(GOLD)
Pilar28(GOLD)

September 18th, 2002, 1:44 pm #51

This thread is the kind that keeps me from following the ocassional junkie thinking situation that happens, less and less but without completely dissapearing at 3 months into my quit.
I should know, because I once lost a 3 year quit and went back to full fledge smoking in a matter of days. I was 30 years old and when I quit and about 33 when I went back. It took me another 5 years to gather the strenght to do it again. But this time, one day at a time, I'm sure I won't take another puff.... I know have the FREEDOM that I need to keep me from doing that....

Pilar
Bronze......

Joel
Joel

September 19th, 2002, 6:05 am #52

From: Joel.Sent: 5/11/2002 6:10 AM As noted in a number of posts in this string, relapses are very rare here and we like to keep it that way. I know bringing up all these articles can seem like overkill when no one is talking about relapsing but when it comes to relapsing--no amount of prevention can be too much. For the sake of a person who relapses as well as for the sake of every other person here, the understanding and implication of a relapse must be understood in its entirety by everyone. Your very lives depend on accepting nicotine as an addiction and treating it as such. That treatment comes down to constantly reminding yourself that you never want to be a full-fledges smoker again and the way to avoid the life an actively using nicotine addict is to always remember that to stay free you must never take another puff! Joel
Last edited by Joel on January 31st, 2011, 5:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Joel
Joel

November 10th, 2002, 6:18 am #53

This seemed like a good post to place here: - Joel

Joel, just as I was kicking back enjoying my One Year of Freedom I had a wake up call. I visited one of my customers this week and while I was there she asked her son for a cigarettes. I said "I didn't know you smoked". She said "well I had quit 20 years ago and this old friend came to visit me and we had some giggles sharing a couple smokes. Ya know, I can't seem to stop buying them now...". That was a 20 YEAR QUIT THAT SHE LOST!!!! It's never, ever, ever, ever, OK to take another puff for us addicts. Did I stress NEVER!!!

*Candy* at one year but just a puff away from full blown active addiction (not gonna happen though)
Last edited by Joel on January 31st, 2011, 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

eddie d (Bronze)
eddie d (Bronze)

November 10th, 2002, 6:58 pm #54

My mom smokes. She quit in August 2000 and stayed quit for exactly one year then started smoking again :-( She claims she's going to quit again but so far she hasn't. I don't know what it was about that magical "one year mark" but it got her! I have a feeling she felt she had made it a year and "deserved one"? Regardless - I think she would have benefitted tremendously from this website and all this valuable information. I've printed quite a bit out and given to her - can't get her into the internet but at least she's "thinking" of quitting again. We'll see I guess.

Eddie

I quit smoking 3 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 57 Minutes 36 Seconds ago.
That's 1098 cigarettes not smoked and
$148.82 I didn't give the tobacco pushers.

Joel
Joel

December 4th, 2002, 7:14 pm #55

For Diana

Juanjuanjuanjuanjuan200
Juanjuanjuanjuanjuan200

December 4th, 2002, 7:19 pm #56

A clear figure of our addicion y that the smoking time, the time of the relapse, is twice as long as the quit.
16 years smokin with tones of micro quits
a 3 year quit
an 8 year relapse, loads of mini quits
an my cleanest 5 months.

Juun

Joel
Joel

January 24th, 2003, 8:41 pm #57

For Fairy

Joel
Joel

January 27th, 2003, 12:20 pm #58

I saw where a new member wrote that she was getting intimidated by reading about all of our lost long-term quits. I think she might have read this thread. Please look at the original dates of this thread, it refers to what Freedom was like when we didn't have our current policies in place. People did indeed relapse in numbers. That does not happen anymore because we have got our membership understanding from the day they join that the only way they can keep their membership, and more importantly, the only way they can keep their quit is to stay 100% committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Laureysgold3
Laureysgold3

January 27th, 2003, 1:31 pm #59

Thanks Joel!

Laurey
2months, 4days, 23hours, and counting

jdinkcmoGOLD
jdinkcmoGOLD

February 12th, 2003, 1:50 am #60

I just had to respond to this post because I am living proof of just how one puff can take us back to the living **** of smoking addiction. From a CT quit in 1975, I lost a 7 year quit to the "stress" excuse and smoked for 5 more years until I managed another CT quit in 1987. After a TWELVE year quit, my junkie thinking put me back on it yet again, smoking like crazy. This quit (my last) will work because I have the one thing now I never had before....education!! I know I'm an addict and that I can never take another puff.
JD
Judy has been nicotine free for: 3 Weeks 6 Days 9 Hours and has NOT smoked 1150, for a savings of $192.79 plus life prolonged by: 3 Days 23 Hours 50 Minutes.

Joel
Joel

March 18th, 2003, 11:12 pm #61

For Rick

MsArmstrongKIS
MsArmstrongKIS

March 19th, 2003, 5:51 am #62

Thought I'd try to repair a little of the damage I did to the "Good news, our members don't relapse anymore" thread.

I know people who seem to be able to smoke only once in a while--you know, the "exceptions". But I am also only 23 years old, and most of those "exceptions" are younger than I am. Therefore, there is still plenty of time for them to bear out the one=all philosophy.

I also know plenty of people who had good, long quits going--2, 3, 4 year quits--who started smoking again as a result of a misbegotten cigarette at a party, or with a smoking friend. I've seen it happen. In fact, a good friend of mine is now a major league smoker, and when I first met him, he didn't smoke at all--he had quit for two years.

Personally, I have never quit for nearly as long as I have now, which in my opinion really proves to me that I'm decidedly living under the law of addiction. No question. Every time I've quit before I thought after a couple of days that I could socially smoke, now that I had broken my habit of smoking 15/day. Well, it didn't work then and I am not deluding myself any longer. I will never be a social smoker, just, in the words of O'Bob (or Hillbilly. . .can't remember which), a "plain old regular smoker".

The road of a thousand miles begins with one step. The road of a thousand cigarettes begins with one puff. If you don't want to go down the road, don't take the puff and you KNOW you never will.

Alex
1 month 4 days

madisonsmom(DBLGREEN)
madisonsmom(DBLGREEN)

March 29th, 2003, 3:50 am #63

I had to share my story since I have lost a long-term quit. I quit smoking when I turned 30 and after a few months I felt better than I ever had in my entire life. I started working out, ran my first 5k and 10k and was loving every minute of it. I eventually reached the point where I could not be around cigarettes at all; breathing in other's smoke made my throat hurt and I could not stand the smell of it. I thought that I would never smoke another cigarette in my life - I never wanted to.

Well, close to three years later, I had a few drinks and was hanging with my old smoking buddies and decided to have one just to see what it would be like. The next day I bought a pack and smoked a couple and threw the rest out. I repeated this for a few days until I decided to go ahead a smoke a whole pack - didn't want to waste any money! Of course within two weeks I was smoking a pack a day again.

Well, here I am after smoking again for the last two years. Hopefully a little more educated than before and very determined to get that feeling back again! I have my sites set on an early winter 5K!

MM

One week, six days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 28 seconds. 298 cigarettes not smoked, saving $58.24. Life saved: 1 day, 50 minutes.

MsArmstrongKIS
MsArmstrongKIS

May 12th, 2003, 10:11 am #64

Joel. . .I am really wondering about something. My housemate had one cigarette yesterday at a party and she insists that it was just that one and that she's never going to smoke another one again. She quit two days before I did. I talked to my dad on the phone today and he said that a year after he quit he had one cigarette and he will always remember that one because it was so disgusting he realized that he never wanted to smoke again. And he hasn't for about 30 years, although now he smokes a cigar once in a while.

I am incapable of thinking about smoking just one cigarette. When I visualize it I can feel myself instantly wanting to go to the gas station and buy myself a pack. It's almost like I can feel the relapse process in my head before it even happens. So I know that smoking just one would never work for me, which actually makes it much easier for me to remain nicotine-free.

You can delete this post if you want because I know that it's not great to have examples of people who seem to fly under the radar of addiction but I just don't get it. I don't get why my father has a cigar once in a while and doesn't become a full-fledged smoker. I know I can't do that, there is not one doubt in my mind that I can't do that, but I don't get why other people seem to be able to do it.

Alex
2 months 3 weeks 7 days

Joel
Joel

May 12th, 2003, 10:47 am #65

Read these posts, especially the comments I wrote in them today:
The relapse of a "social smoker" 38 5 IrishLotus (Silver) 5/11/2003 9:45 PM
The Lucky One's Get Hooked! 16 Joel. 5/11/2003 9:17 PM
Last edited by Joel on January 31st, 2011, 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

KereGreen2
KereGreen2

June 3rd, 2003, 11:19 pm #66

Joel,

I was having some difficulty seeing how these other people had quit for so long and then gone back. Reminds me, Never Take Another Puff.....

Kere
Two weeks, three days, 23 hours, 25 minutes and 42 seconds. 359 cigarettes not smoked, saving $111.45. Life saved: 1 day, 5 hours, 55 minutes.

BubblyDoodlebug Gold
BubblyDoodlebug Gold

June 3rd, 2003, 11:36 pm #67

I had quit for over a year once. I was miserable the whole time. I always wanted to smoke even if I was not around smoking. I felt as if I lost a love one. I grieved. This quit is not like that at all. I will be honest I have had moments where I felt like that but this time I understand my quit. Actually I don't remember why I started back, I don't even remember my cig when I started back. How weird is that??? The quit before this one I went back because I was told I was a nicer person when I smoked. That hurt my feelings so bad. I got in my car drove a block away and bought a pack. If I was told that now I would tell them "Go make new friends". Katherine

jeanne
jeanne

June 4th, 2003, 10:47 am #68

I hope it's not too late in the day to respond to this post. I know I've mentioned my long term quit before in my 1st post probably, but after reading some of the posts here it got me thinking about my former quit of 10 years. It really is true about the education fact, the MAJOR difference between that quit and this one is knowledge. I had never quit before, and I was ignorant enough to believe because of that lack of knowledge, that I could have a few cigarettes and be o.k. It wasn't even a stressful situation that got me started again. I was away with a good friend on a trip to San Francisco, and I never knew she was a closet smoker for the 8 years I had known her at that time. We were having a bottle of wine on our hotel veranda, and she said want a cigarette?? After I got over the initial shock of realizing that she smoked, I said sure why not, I'll probably hate it. Well, I didn't like it too much at first, but then over the next few days of our trip, we had a couple more together. I didn't really start smoking right away on a regular basis when we returned home. About a month or so later, I encountered a stressful situation, and now I knew she smoked, it was the first place I went. If I knew then what I know now, not only about smoking addiction but about my self being an addict, I never would have accepted that first cigarette. Quitting truly comes from within yourself, you have to truly want it, but it is such an easier and safer process with knowledge. Thank you freedom!!! Jeanne F. 4 months 4 days and 8 hours

Joel
Joel

February 9th, 2004, 6:31 pm #69

I had one member in the group that I am graduating tonight who once had a 20 year quit. The group we have did very well, we only lost four members out of the original 28. (We had a few people who were not officially in the group, but who I was working with one on one because of travel and time issues making clinic attendance impossible.) Sadly, one of the four we lost was the person who once had the 20 year quit. No matter how long you have quit for the only way to keep this quit going and never have to face dealing with "trying" to quit again is to stick to your commitment this time to never take another puff! Joel

Rhiannonsky
Rhiannonsky

May 18th, 2004, 10:54 am #70

Thank you for this string. It is so appropriate for me as I have lost several long term quits because I thought that I could somehow control my addiction to nicotine. I thought that I really could "just have one". However, I realize now that this is completely impossible. If I have one, I will have a pack and then I will be back to smoking full time. NTAP!!

Jen

Joel
Joel

July 21st, 2004, 5:54 am #71

For HVillari

Joel
Joel

August 6th, 2004, 6:48 pm #72

I was recently informed that a friend of mine referred his friend over to www.whyquit.com and Freedom. His friend was off of smoking for 20 years and recently relapsed. I wanted to pop this one to the top in the event he is reading here.

Rickrob53 Gold
Rickrob53 Gold

September 10th, 2004, 1:38 am #73

(for anyone who has lost a quit before, and doesn't want to lose this one)

"Nicotine is nicotine is nicotine. Nicotine is stronger than you are, it has controlled you for years and maybe even decades. Even though you knew it was harming you and possibly killing you, nicotine made you keep delivering it over and over again day by day. You will not win this battle by being stronger than it, you will win it by being smarter than it. Use your intellect in this effort. Know your enemy inside and out. To stay in control, give up the idea that you can control nicotine. You can't control quantity. Your options are to smoke nothing or to smoke everything. This translates to you can stop delivering nicotine and live, or deliver it once and use it over and over again till it cripples and kills you. If you prefer the former, stay focused on to stay free of tobacco products and stay in control you must never take another puff!"

Joel

CKay87
CKay87

September 15th, 2004, 2:09 am #74

Wow, this was a good one for me right now. I almost never come on here anymore because I am a year and a half into what feels like a very successful quit. Every now and then I'll be in a situation where others are smoking and inevitably I'll think - "hey, I could join them in just one." I never do because of the education I've received here from articles such as this one. I'm going to hang on to it - thanks so much.

Joel
Joel

November 19th, 2004, 11:07 pm #75

One almost gold member just wrote that she had once lost a 10 year quit. Most clinics I do have at least one person who once lost a ten or more year quit. My last group had one man who had lost an 18 year quit. I have had two people in the past three years who had both lost 35 year quits. Any person can lose their quit no matter how long they have been off if they ever drop their guard. On the same token though, any person who has quit can maintain that quit forever if he or she simply keeps his of her ammunition reinforced and sticks to his or her commitment to never take another puff!

Joel