Have you noticed some of these "lost" long-term quits?

Stef

08 Aug 2000, 02:00 #11

HEAR ME WHEN I SAY" NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!" Stef

Carrie24

08 Aug 2000, 02:15 #12

I just caught this post, wasn't here the first time that it was posted. Can I just say "Wow"? I know this is something I will have to deal with for the rest of my life, and this most definatly reinforces it! Joel, you have given me so many different things to think about. I would have never thought about most things you write about, I'm so thankful for this site! reading the posts I think has kept me sane through the cruical first two days. Today is my thrid day, and if I had not found this site, I would have probably already gone back. But thanks to the information and support, I'm still here, and I have not taken another puff since I quit! THANK YOU!

Carrie
---
2d 18:34 smoke-free, 51 cigs not smoked, $6.38 saved, 4:15 life saved

Joel

08 Aug 2000, 02:31 #13

Way to go Carrie. We will try to keep you thinking. Here is a letter to address this issue of how to think of not smoking today, tomorrow and the rest of your smoke-free life.

Joel

"I'm not going to smoke today!" During the quitting process, you most likely woke up thinking of this concept, either with great determination or incredible trepidation. Either way, it was imperative that you aimed a high degree of focus at this lofty goal. The incredible cravings elicited by the addiction required that you had all the motivation and ammunition to squelch the seemingly irresistible need to take a cigarette. Whether or not you understood it, immediately reaffirming your goal not to smoke upon waking was crucial during your initial quitting phase.

The fact is, restating the simple concept of "not smoking today" is not only important when you first quit. You should restate this upon waking for the rest of your life. Each day you should start with "I'm not going to smoke today." Equally important, each day you should end congratulating yourself and feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment for achieving your worthwhile goal.

For even years and decades after successful cessation, every day you continue to breath and think a relapse to smoking is an inherent risk. The addiction to nicotine is as powerful as the addiction to alcohol or any illicit drug. The habituation of smoking permeated almost every area of your day to day existence. You may allow complacency to fill the void left by your old addiction and habits by disregarding the monumental effort and achievement which accompanied overcoming them. Complacency causes your guard to drop and you may begin to forget the reasons you wanted to quit. You will no longer recognize the many vast improvements in the quality of your physical, social and economic well being which accompanied smoking cessation.

Then, one day when smoking seemed to be a part of an obscure past which had no real relevance to your current status, a thought for a cigarette is accompanied by an opportunity to "innocently" reach for one. Maybe it is under an insignificant social circumstance, or maybe a major life crisis. Either way, all the elements seem to be in place. Motive, cause and opportunity are present, reasoning and knowledge of addiction are conspicuously absent. A puff is taken.

New rules are now in place. Your body demands nicotine. A preordained process is now set in motion, and, even if you don't realize what has happened, a drug relapse has occurred. The wants and desire to take back the action are overpowered by the body's demand for nicotine. You will have no control of the physiological process set in action. Soon your mind bows to your body's dictates.

You will very likely feel great regret and remorse. An overriding feeling of failure and guilt will haunt you. You will soon find yourself longing for the days when you had hardly thought of cigarettes at all. But those days will slowly become a fading past image. Weeks, months or even decades may pass before you once again musters the resolve to attempt a serious quitting process. Sadly, you may never again have the appropriate strength, initial motivation, or, tragically, the opportunity to quit again. A terminal diagnosis or sudden death may preclude the well-intentioned future attempt that may never have a chance to be realized.

Don't take the chance of becoming entrapped in this kind of tragic and dismal scenario. Actively strive to successfully remain smoke free and maintain all the associated perks-the physical, emotional, economic, professional and social benefits of not being an active smoker. Always start your day off with the statement "I won't smoke today." Always end your day with a self-affirmation and sense of pride and accomplishment for once again winning your daily battle over your addiction. And always remember between your waking up and the ending of your day to Never Take Another Puff!

Joel

Joel

30 Aug 2000, 17:46 #14

If a puff can undo a quit of 25 years, take a guess at what it can do to a quit of 25 hours, minutes or seconds. Your quit will last as long and only as long as you never take another puff! Joel

twovees (Gold)

30 Aug 2000, 19:10 #15

Thanks, Joel, for bringing up this page again. This points out a lesson that I never knew before finding Freedom, that is, that I am an addict. Before, I always thought that I could just quit, put down the cigarettes, get used to being without them, and I would get over it. Now I know that I must be on guard always and forever and never take another puff.

I am now a non-smoker, but I will be an addict forever.

I have booted Nicodemon out of my life for Two weeks, one day, 7 hours, 6 minutes and 59 seconds. 764 cigarettes not smoked, saving $50.09. Life saved: 2 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes. Vivian

R b rt

30 Aug 2000, 20:56 #16

I agree, this post needs to be up-top!!! I agree with what's been said by the other members ... it's always that "ONE MORE PUFF" that gets you!!! (living proof here) ... I also agree that here at FREEDOM I have found the truth about being "addicted" ... with that in mind I can proceed ... this is the only habit I have "stopped" that KEEPS ON NAGGING AT ME !!! It's true - the only way to quit is cold-turkey and to NEVER TAKE (EVEN) ONE MORE PUFF !!!
-robert-
Four weeks, one day, 8 hours. Life saved: 12 hours, 10 minutes.

Dodie

30 Aug 2000, 21:27 #17

Oh how well I know what just one will do. I have more than one addiction and realize the value of this lesson. Thanks for bringing this back to the top so that I never forget that I CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE PUFF

Dodie

One week, two days, 15 hours, 42 minutes and 7 seconds. 144 cigarettes not smoked, saving $38.01. Life saved: 12 hours, 0 minutes.

Joel

30 Aug 2000, 21:45 #18

Hello Vivian:

Your comment, "I am now a non-smoker, but I will be an addict forever" reminded me of a letter I wrote once for Darcy on what she should call herself in regards to having quit smoking. I brought up a version of that letter. It is call "What should I call myself?" I thought you would relate to it considering the comment. Your comment showed great insight.

Hang in there Vivian. You will be an addict forever, and as long as you remember to Never Take Another Puff you will be able to stay a non-smoker forever too. Just do it one day at a time.

Joel

31 Aug 2000, 01:55 #19

Thanks Joel for my new mantra

"MY QUIT WILL LAST AS LONG AND ONLY AS LONG AS I NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF"

Wendy

One week, six days, 12 hours, 55 minutes and 52 seconds. 541 cigarettes not smoked, saving $67.69. Life saved: 1 day, 21 hours, 5 minutes.

Nora (Gold)

31 Aug 2000, 12:08 #20

Thanks Joel for these postings. I always read and reread them although I have only replied to a couple. I do want you to know they are appreciated.

Keep them coming!

Nora