Antigoni (Noni) Glykos was born on March 13, 1966
December 27, 1996 The dreams of a bride

Employment - A Guide for Scandinavian tourists in Greece

Person Most Admired - Her mother

Favorite Movie - Out of Africa

Noni's Passion - Ancient history

Biggest Concern - Being good at motherhood

Favorite Food - Great Greek fish dishes

She was crazy about Christmas and loved decorating the house!

Favorite Colors - Blue, black and white

Activity - Noni loved to travel

Favorite Song - Don't Pay the Ferryman

Favorite Drink - Ice coffee frappe

Favorite Musician - Richard Claiderman (pianist)

December 1998 Presents under the tree and a special gift in me!

December 18, 1998 - Noni's son is born

December 25, 1998 The best Christmas ever!

February 10, 1999

Noni is diagnosed with lung cancer

February 13, 1999

She is told that she has less than nine months to live

February 14, 1999

Noni learns that her lung cancer has spread to her brain and kidneys

March 13, 1999

Noni shows courage and concern as she speaks at her final birthday

Her face is swollen as a tumor blocks blood flow back to her heart

March 16, 1999 A new mother's pride

June 20, 1999

Antigoni (Noni) Glykos Died on June 24, 1999

Age 33 Years, 3 Months, 11 Days

A victim of small cell lung cancer & Camel cigarettes

"Pleasure to Burn" or "Pleasure that Burns?"

Noni started smoking cigarettes at age 14

December 18, 1999 Noni's son's first birthday

Her dream of her and her husband building their own home died with her ...

... as did her dream of having at least two children ...

... as did all her other dreams ...

... and many of the dreams of those who loved her!

E-mail Noni's Family

April 1, 2006

Hello everybody,

My name is John and I am Noni's brother. I live in Athens, Greece and I am also a smoker who quit 5 years and 350 days ago and I am still trying... On 16th of April it will be 6 full years and 2006 will mark the 7th year without my sister in our lives.

Believe it or not, there is no day that goes by without thinking of her and the fact that she died so young. She would have been 40 this past 13th of March and for sure she would have been angry because she always wanted to stay young.

I hope that she can "see" the impact of her life to all of you. More than 2,000 messages the past 18 months only! Most of them related to quitting this nasty addiction that each year takes away so many! It is really hard to handle all the love and the emotions that you are "sending" through the messages but I save them so my children and most of all Noni's son will read them when they grow up.

Many times you make me cry, not of because I feel sad but because you make me feel so proud about my sister's life and so lucky because I had her for 29 years in my life.

NONI IF YOU CAN SEE ALL OF US DOWN HERE PLEASE HELP US TO STOP SMOKING OURSELVES AND TO HELP OTHERS TO DO SO...

Thank you all on behalf of NONI

God bless you,

[url=mailto:we_miss_you@noniglykos.com]John Glykos and Family[/url]
Athens, Greece

Last edited by John Gold on July 25th, 2009, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Gold
Roger Gold

April 10th, 2002, 1:52 am #2

John,

You have a knack to strengthen our resolves here at Freedom. Good post, what else is there to say!

Thanks

Roger
Last edited by Roger Gold on July 25th, 2009, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Gold
John Gold

April 10th, 2002, 2:41 am #3

She's a very special lady Roger. This was by far the hardest page I've tried putting together. There are no words to describe the depth of the love and loss that the Glykos family continues to live and feel each day. Noni's brother John and I worked together through tear filled emails in developing the facts for the page. They are a very close family! Special thanks, again, Melissa (Toast) for helping resize Noni's photos. Noni, if you can see it, we pray that you approve!

ICanDoIt GREEN
ICanDoIt GREEN

April 10th, 2002, 3:42 am #4

Dear John -

The only thing I can say is WOW! Very powerful.

ICanDoIt

mirigirl silver
mirigirl silver

April 10th, 2002, 4:30 am #5

Bless you Noni ~ and your little boy and family

Anna GOLD
Anna GOLD

April 10th, 2002, 8:28 am #6

Wow. Thank you, John, for sharing that.

Ladybird is Gold
Ladybird is Gold

April 10th, 2002, 9:14 am #7

Thank you John for taking a day I was stressed out & struggling through & making me thankful for every moment of it!
Noni could be any of us & shows us how precious each of our quits are!
YQS,
Susan

John Gold
John Gold

August 4th, 2002, 3:43 pm #8

We see by applications that we have a large number of new arrivals. Welcome to Freedom, we've been waiting on you. If you arrived via a link other than www.WhyQuit.com and feel the need for a bit motivation we encourage you to visit WhyQuit and click on the top link. Each cigarette and picture are links that will hopefully show you a very small glimpse of the massive toll that tobacco is taking each and every day as more than 5,000 middle-aged smokers lose their life.
Click on each picture below

Noni 33
Bryan 34

Tony 37
You
Sean 19

Lilac Bronze
Lilac Bronze

August 4th, 2002, 7:52 pm #9

SO sad, gut wrenching-------there are no adequate words.. Families suffer too, even when we are not dying or dead because the possibility that we soon will be is ever present for them. Too much grief-------I don't want to court it anymore. Enough is enough. In sorrow , Lilac

kelleysue
kelleysue

August 7th, 2002, 2:51 am #10

This was extremely powerful. Thank you for an amazing post. It is great to remember why we are doing this and how all of our choices affect everyone around us. Thanks again.

relagoldalicious
relagoldalicious

August 16th, 2002, 2:29 am #11

This is an amazing piece and it definetely strengthens my resolve. Thank you John and Richard for presenting it to me for a second time. i was afraid to face her the first time but now I know I'm doing the right thing. I hope Noni is watching from somewhere and nodding.-Ariella

Joel
Joel

January 21st, 2003, 1:54 am #12

I saw where one newer member had mentioned how she was able to help her husband understand in the event that she were to relapse. I think people reading Noni's story being told from the perspective of her surviving family members will see that her family seems to be having a harder time understanding or accepting that smoking was worth dying for.

richard This is It GOLD
richard This is It GOLD

July 24th, 2003, 5:33 am #13

For Skippy...........

Withdrawal is temporary,

Death is forever - both for the one who dies and for those left behind

Lyverbyrd
Lyverbyrd

July 24th, 2003, 7:17 am #14

"Your photo here." That chills me so much.

Hold on tight Skippy, it gets better.

Joel
Joel

October 8th, 2003, 12:39 am #15

A member put up a request for someone to shake her into keeping her quit. I am bringing up a few posts to accommodate this request.

Joel
Joel

January 2nd, 2004, 1:53 am #16

Noni 33
Bryan 34
Tony 37
You
Sean 19

Marram Gold
Marram Gold

January 2nd, 2004, 4:05 am #17

Noni was one of the first people I came in contact with as I lurked my 72 hours away almost a year ago to date...

I remember her story as though it was yesterday. It is powerful posts such as this that have kept me and many others from ever taking another puff.

Many thanks to Noni's family for allowing us to gain wisdom and strength from their loss and pain.

Marram
1y 1d 0:48 smoke-free, 10,981 cigs not smoked, $1,564.79 saved, 1m 1w 1d 3:05 life saved

Joel
Joel

July 24th, 2004, 5:21 pm #18

Noni 33
Bryan 34
Kim 46

Tony 37
You
Sean 19

John Gold
John Gold

April 2nd, 2006, 5:49 am #19

I received the below email message from Noni's brother this morning.

April 1, 2006

Hello everybody,

My name is John and I am Noni's brother. I live in Athens, Greece and I am also a smoker who quit 5 years and 350 days ago and I am still trying... On 16th of April it will be 6 full years and 2006 will mark the 7th year without my sister in our lives.

Believe it or not, there is no day that goes by without thinking of her and the fact that she died so young. She would have been 40 this past 13th of March and for sure she would have been angry because she always wanted to stay young.

I hope that she can "see" the impact of her life to all of you. More than 2,000 messages the past 18 months only! Most of them related to quitting this nasty addiction that each year takes away so many! It is really hard to handle all the love and the emotions that you are "sending" through the messages but I save them so my children and most of all Noni's son will read them when they grow up.

Many times you make me cry not of because I feel sad but because you make me feel so proud about my sister's life and so lucky because I had her for 29 years in my life.

NONI IF YOU CAN SEE ALL OF US DOWN PLEASE HELP ALL OF US TO STOP THE HABIT OUR SELVES AND TO HELP OTHERS TO DO SO...

Thank you all on behalf of NONI

God bless you,

John Glykos and Family
Athens, Greece

Shinelady Gold3282003
Shinelady Gold3282003

April 2nd, 2006, 10:04 am #20

John,
I would like to thank you for sharing Noni's story with us. I remember the overwhelming sadness with which I read it for the first time. It made such an impact on me when I came to this site. Seeing someone so young lose their life to what might have been a preventable disease is so very hard to accept. People tend to think they have time and they can wait until next week , next month, next year etc. to quit. They don't realize just how short life may be .

I just lost my husband to lung cancer, one month ago, and I feel I can relate to your pain. He lived nearly twice as long as Noni, but even he (at age 61) was considered young among many. How sad and painful for all of us that are left behind to mourn their deaths . Together, I hope we can help make a difference because I know that is what Noni , my husband Mike and others would have wanted .

Thank you for your gift of reality, I believe it will help others to see what they haven't allowed themselves to see.

God Bless you and your family,

Sue

April 8th, 2006, 10:00 am #21

From Sue's message:

People tend to think they have time and they can wait until next week , next month, next year etc. to quit. They don't realize just how short life may be .

Hold on to your quit. Hold on to your family and friends. Let your family and friends hold on to you.

Never take another puff!

Joel
Joel

May 14th, 2006, 11:16 pm #22

Some people will not be "celebrating" Mother's Day this year because of smoking.

Johnnie
Johnnie

September 8th, 2010, 4:54 pm #23

What is there to say except "Today I'll work harder and smarter, more humbly and more faithfully at honoring my Quit...and the spirits of those like Noni"?