Have you ever embraced a crave?

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Joe J free

22 Mar 2012, 16:48 #61

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Enjoy your recovery don't fear it.  Embrace and welcome each and every crave episode, as the arrival of each signals another time, place, location, event or emotion that you are about to reclaim.  Enjoy coming home.  There is a calm, quiet and free mind at the end, one that will go days, weeks and then months without wanting for nicotine.   But don't take my word for it.  Read the [/font]accounts of those you came before you[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]!  Yes you can![/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]John[/font]

Caileadair

22 Mar 2012, 19:27 #62

amcanuck ( GOLD ) wrote: I decided a while ago that when I feel an urge to smoke ,I would give that my undivided attention. At first ,I would distract myself with other things.Now ,I face the thoughts dead on. I picture myself smoking and I remember what a let down the last one was. Then I forsee my dissapointment in myself. Then,by the time Im done doing all this in my mind,the desire has passed and I feel good.I know Im stronger than I ever thought I could be. So yes I embrace those craves because I think if you dont you will never be prepared for the bigger ones,the ones that are so tricky that you almost fortget how far you`ve come and that maybe if you could quit once you could do it again.I am getting fewer craves now ,sometimes most of a day will go by without a thought to smoking,and that is why when I do think about it I try to go through the whole process of relaspe in my mind,including the aftermath.amcanuck
this is so helpful, right now, at this moment. when I've come this far and try not to think about how far I have to go...a "seemingly" long time. I just don't want to be disappointed in myself again--at least, not for going back to smoking. so, no hiding from craves, no hiding from all of me...and each day becomes a day of pride while I watch the "relapse disappointment" slowly fade into the mists of the past.

suquimby

21 May 2012, 18:31 #63

I have found this post very interesting.  I think in my first few days I embraced the craves, but for some reason I have started running from them and fearing them.   dont know why I have started doing this, but I am now going to face the next one head on and actually feel it!  Hopefully then I wont be as scared of them in the future!
Thank you for this

Suquimby
Six days, 20 hours, 31 minutes and 25 seconds. 68 cigarettes not smoked, saving £22.24. Life saved: 5 hours, 40 minutes.

EricGold

26 Jul 2017, 16:22 #64

It's been a long time since I've been here, but I was just wanted to share my account of this post because it has great significance to me. 

I decided that I had enough of smoking, so I decided that I was going to quit (yet again). So with that, I went to the store, bought a box of patches and decided that the next day I was going to finally stop smoking. 

The first day was pretty rough, but I managed to get through it. The second day though was torture. I was suffering! I had continuous anxiety and a constant rush of panic attacks. In fact, as it was nearing noon time, I decided that I couldn't quit and I had enough of these feelings of anxiety and panic. I was just too weak to quit smoking. I made the decision that when lunch time came around, I was going to go across the street and buy a pack of cigarettes. 

So as lunch came, I started to leave to the store, but a voice told me to go to the computer to maybe look for some miracle pill that may help me quit later. I listened to this voice and got on the computer and searched quitting smoking. I found WhyQuit.com and this was the very first post I read. 

As I began to read, I also began to step away from myself and really start observing myself. How much of this panic and anxiety was self induced? I realized that quite a bit of it was. It was this post where the penny dropped and I went from hopeless to a feeling that I really could quit smoking. In fact, I was so confident about this that I ripped off the patch right then and there and went home that night and threw all of my patches away. A few days later I joined WhyQuit.com

Obviously, I never made it to the store that day and I have never smoked a cigarette since. That was over 13 years ago. 

So to be a bit cliche, I am here to tell you new quitters, that you can quit, because if I can, I know you can. 

All you have to remember is to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Eric