Have you ever embraced a crave?

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
John (Gold)

18 Oct 2001, 01:41 #11

As Mari recommends,
Don't just embrace your craves, name them!
Just one crave at a time! This is doable!

John (Gold)

05 Jan 2002, 04:12 #12

The trick is staying calm yet prepared!

michelle25

25 Jan 2002, 23:20 #13

John,
Thank you for this insight. For as long as I can remember I have never DEALT with hard or uncomfortable feelings without a crutch of some sort. It was usually cigarettes, but also drinking, food, running, sarcasm, etc. I actually thought is was what one should do in the a crisis or difficult time. First thoughts are stuff it down, mask over or inhale the poison, drink and laugh so on. Since I have quit on Jan 14, 2002 I have had many opportunities to run to my emotional crutch, the smoking. A few times I was dangerously close but the intensity passed and it wasn't as scary as originally thought. For me it is all about re-conditioning, its a huge world out there as a non-smoker, lots of things to learn and re-learn. The fact that I don't light up cigarettes is a small part of a big picture. In the process healthy decisions are being made, emotional maturity is being reached, discipline is being practiced,habits replaced, freedom gained. It is a package deal! Your point is an excellent one. I used to view the craves and even thoughts as these huge overwhelming obstacles that couldn't be beat. They really aren't that scary anymore for me, they have been exposed now I feel I can stare them down and wait em out if necessary.
Michelle
1 week, 3 days, 22 hours, 48 minutes, 13 seconds
Last edited by michelle25 on 23 Jul 2009, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

Lablover (Green)

29 Jan 2002, 21:07 #14

I debated about this subject almost all day Sunday. On Sunday nights, I usually have supper with my mother, who still smokes two packs a day, Maxi 120s!

It being Sunday of my first week, I was very nervous - should I "embrace the crave" or should I call her and make some excuse why I can't come over. If I face this will it be the cause of a relapse for me? These thoughts stayed in my head all day. I spent a great deal of the day reading posts here at Freedom.

I decided I could do it. I went to her house armed with a bottle of cranberry juice and some suckers. Initially, I stayed at least 15 feet from her while she was cooking (and smoking). Then came our dinner together. Afterwards, she immediately lit up. I was so surprised at myself. The craves, desires, came in like giant waves, but crested and fell very quickly!

I think it may have been harder on my mother. Because I was tense and it seems like I talked non-stop!

But I drove home, yelling "Whaa whoooooo", because I felt like I had drove straight into a tornado and survived it! I will never be afraid to sit with my mother while she smokes, again! I embrased it, I TACKLED IT!

Bridget
1 week, 7 hours and still feeling great!

John (Gold)

01 Feb 2002, 22:42 #15

Thanks DHD, glad it helped, and welcome to Freedom and congratuations on three weeks of awesome healing! I was just getting ready to post to your first thread but then saw this post and decided to reply here.

To answer your question, we provide new arrivals with guidance during the first 72 hours, and answer or address their individual concerns after becoming members, but beyond that they are pretty much on their own to explore, read and focus in those areas or on those issue that attract their attention. When they do post to a particular thread - the way that you have here - it pulls that thread to the top of the message board where the group takes notice and peeks to see if the member needs any additional help.

Aside from Joel's Library and the motivational materials at WhyQuit, Freedom has almost 100,000 archived posts containing a wealth of member insights! You'll see Joel, the managers, and seasoned Freedom graduates (Oldbies) cycling through and pulling up selected threads for a variety of reasons. Joel is not only cycling members through the heart of his library, bringing a couple of articles to thread page 1 each day, he also sees posting trends and patterns developing within the group, has a sense of where most members are within their quits (new members tend to arrive in bunches), and will often highlight important concepts by focusing the group's attention on a member's individual concern.

Not only will we encourage you to consider embracing your craves, we encourage every member to embrace education and understanding as the keys to developing the tools needed to allow their healing and new life to become permanent We're here if you need us DHD and congratulations again on three weeks of healing. Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! YQB John (Zep)

OBob Gold

02 Feb 2002, 04:47 #16

DHD,

Great to hear from you again! This is one of my favorites too. Sometimes, the temptation is to try to wish a crave away by pretending it's not there. I liken it to the monster under the child's bed. The longer the child lays awake in fear of the unseen threat under the bed, the bigger, more dangerous and frightening it becomes; the more power it has over the child. As soon as the child peeks under the bed, and acknowledges what's REALLY there, the monster's power fades. Great job embracing those triggers!

YQB (Your Quit Brother),

Bob

John (Gold)

22 May 2002, 01:30 #17

That next crave can't hurt you and it won't make you bleed!
It won't last longer than it took to smoke a cigarette!
Relax, embrace it, and say goodbye to your needless fears!
Patience!
This isn't what it feels like to be a comfortable ex-user.
This is what it feels like to say goodbye to our former master!
Smile! The calmness ahead is permanent and deep!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 25 Jul 2017, 21:03, edited 3 times in total.

Rickgoldx5

06 Jun 2002, 22:06 #18

Hi John, I know this is an older post but the one line that got me was "How much of the anxiety associated with your quit is self induced? "
I can't count how many times I've beaten myself up over stupid things and thought "Oh what do I keep trying for?" I think I've answered this a hundred times and each time it gets easyier to say "My own health!" and "I won't take another puff!!"
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 2 Days 3 Hours 50 Minutes 51 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2089. Money saved: $312.32.
Last edited by Rickgoldx5 on 22 Mar 2009, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

03 Jul 2002, 01:15 #19

Just three minutes to say goodbye to another another feeding cue!
You can do that standing on your head! This is doable!
You're going home to be with you!
Enjoy the journey!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 25 Jul 2017, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.

joyfulgrl

28 Jul 2002, 03:26 #20

John,
This little article has helped me tremendously to gain the courage to go out to a bar/club tonight. I've been anxious about tonight all day today because that social scene was when I smoked the most nicotine. I even thought about staying home. But i don't want to put off the inevitable and it makes no sense to. I'm on day 6, nicotine free and have been staying away from alot of triggers as much as I can but I know I can't hide forever.
Tonight will be the first real situation that I'll be in since Sunday where there will be smokers.
Thanks to your article I've gained a new sense of strength. I'll read it again before I go out!! Gosh, I really love this forum......you are all sooooo helpful!!
Thanks agains!!
Image Joy
Last edited by joyfulgrl on 23 Jul 2009, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.