Giving and getting medical advice online.

Giving and getting medical advice online.

Joel

19 Dec 2001, 03:41 #1

Basic rule-don't do it. If someone tells you to try a medication or not to take another, ignore the advice. Any questions involving your medications should be resolved between you and your doctor and pharmacist.

If you are concerned about a person who is on a medication, whether it be online or in your real world life, who is having what you may think is an adverse effect, be a real friend and tell them to call their doctor who prescribed it, or, if they are unavailable call their pharmacist and if symptoms or reactions seem really threatening, call their local hospital emergency room. Let these people who are familiar with the patient or familiar with emergency procedures tell the person to stop it if they feel it is a problem. Just telling a person to stop or start a medication is possibly stopping a medication that really might be necessary, or one that may require medical supervision in order to get off of it safely.

We have posted on the board numerous times about giving medical advice on the board. Please honor this policy for it is in fact a membership requirement. Posts that give medical advice will be pulled and repeating of such posts will result in posting privileges being revoked.

There is only one piece of medical advice that we are comfortable saying applies to everyone here at Freedom. That is that smoking is deadly, and avoiding ever relapsing to this deadly addiction requires continuing to swallow our tough medicine of knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

12 Feb 2002, 23:22 #2

This post was on medication advice--but really applies to any kind of medical advice. We can bring up possible reactions that a person may have from quitting--and we may say at times that this symptom or that symptom may occur when quitting. But that does not mean symptoms should be ignored or written off, especially any symptom lasting beyond a couple of weeks.

Then there are those symptoms that may happen the first few days, which are very likely from quitting smoking but, because of the nature of the symptom can't safely be written off either. Symptoms such as chest pains, which are common when quitting, can also be a warning of something happening totally independent of quitting and needs to be evaluated, even early on in a quit. The best advice we can give is always if you are experiencing a reaction out of the ordinary that is causing you concern, call your doctor, explain to him and her when you stopped smoking and what you are now experiencing and ask him or her if a visit is warranted. The other piece of life saving advice that we can give you is to prevent new diseases and minimize the risk if many crippling and life threatening conditions simply entails knowing from this point on to never take another puff!

Joel

Edited to include following videos:

Is anyone else experiencing the symptom...?

"Is this a symptom of quitting smoking?" (part 2)

"Will this get better?"
Last edited by Joel on 22 Feb 2015, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

25 Feb 2002, 19:58 #3

As I mentioned in a post earlier today, I was doing seminars this past week for health care professionals this week. I also think www.whyquit.com was made available to many of the doctors who were not in the actual seminars. I would suspect that some of these health care professionals are concerned about sending patient to a site like this and the patients getting medical advice an opinions on areas other than quitting smoking.

I thought it would be a good idea to get it right out there that this does not happen here at Freedom. Quitting smoking is a topic important enough and comprehensive enough to warrant a site that is quite busy without having to expand out to other areas of health care. I want all medical professionals to feel comfortable sending their patients to us for insights of how to quit.

We will teach your patients that quitting is important, possible and that staying quit has numerous advantages over smoking--in many areas of their lives. The most important thing we can do for your patients is to help them understand that to quit smoking and stay free is no more complicated than knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

12 Apr 2002, 06:12 #4

Running in and out here. There was a post from one member to another member advising the use of an over the counter medication. We have strict policies here at Freedom about giving such advice on the board. Use of medications, whether prescribed or over the counter are topics that members should talk over with their doctors and pharmacists, people who have all the information about the individual and the potential side effects of specific drugs.

Any posts giving direct medical or medication advice will be pulled.

Joel

Joel

30 May 2002, 18:49 #5

I just had an email from someone writing me concerned with chest pains and wanted to know if he or she should call a doctor. I don't think the person was a Freedom member and may not have even ever seen www.whyquit.com since the email was sent to my old AOL address which I seldom use and which I don't think is referenced anywhere at whyquit.com anymore. I told the person to contact a doctor and to look into www.whyquit.com to help secure his or her quit. Just thought I'd bring this up in case the person looks in here.

Joel

Joel

04 Jun 2002, 23:22 #6

This post addresses the symptoms such as chest pains or any condition that can be indicative of any serious condition. Even in the first few days of a quit such symptoms should not be ignored or written off to withdrawal even though quitting may be the reason at these points in time. But in the case of symptoms weeks or months into a quit, it is much more likely that something other than not smoking is causing the reaction. Life goes on without smoking and things can go wrong with a person's health and anyone experiencing such symptoms should always seek professional medical attention.

Joel

10 Jun 2002, 01:24 #7

I just edited a post that was talking about a popular herbal remedy for depression. We do not give advice, recommendations, or critiques of any kind of medications or products here at Freedom. What may work safely and efficiently for one person may not work or even have adversive side effects for another. All medication issues are to be dealt with by your personal physicians and any posts mentioning specific medications or products will be edited or deleted.

Joel

KarenS(Silver )

13 Sep 2002, 06:40 #8

Sorry Joel, I didn't even realize I was asking for advice or that anyone would follow anything that was put up here as if it came from a doctor. I was just wondering what other people's experiences were so I can maby compare them to my own. But your right, sorry I posted that about the Zyban.

Joel

13 Sep 2002, 06:45 #9

Hello Karen:

That is okay. I was working feverishly here to bring up our general medical advice policy post and the string we have covering Zyban. I only have a few minutes today to be on the board and trying to address as many issues as I can quickly see. I hope the material on the Zyban string helps add some perspective here.

Joel

John (Gold)

13 Sep 2002, 09:06 #10

Karen, I didn't get a chance to read your post before you deleted it but I did visit the thread only to find out that no one was home On a whole I think we've done a fair job in the thread Joel pulled up to address as many factual issues about Zyban and Wellbutrin as possible. I do hope it sheds light on your concerns. You'll find links back to the official web sites of both Wellbutrin and Zyban. Do take a bit of time to make yourself aware of the warnings.

I know one thing above all else Karen. It takes nicotine to relapse and without it we can guarantee a winner every time !!! There is absolutely no reason why all of us can't go the distance. Today is doable! Breathe deep, hug hard, live long. John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 25 Mar 2009, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.