Get the candy out of my face!!!!

Trehowse1
Trehowse1

October 21st, 2004, 9:25 pm #1

I quit smoking almost 22 days ago and feel GREAT about it! Having one small issue though....I lost about 35 pounds last year and have maintained for the most part. I am an active person and try to work out at least 3-4 times week. thought I had this food thing all under control until the past week or so when the Halloween candy made it's appearance. If I was smoking, I would take a smoke break and avoid the candy, but since I am never going to take another puff, I have found myself with my hands in the candy jar WAY too often! Keeping it away from me is easier said than done when I work with men who want it readily available and I have a 5 year old son at home who cant wait to go trick or treating. I think I bought our candy too early...at the rate i am going, I wont have any left for the trick or treaters! any advice for me out there? so far today, I have not endulged....could possibly be because of the insta-roll growing at my waiste line!

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

October 21st, 2004, 9:47 pm #2

Hi Tresa,
Congratulations on your wonderfully growing 22 day quit! Way to go!

There is tons at Freedom in Weight Gain. But, I'm going to tell you what I've been thinking because I too had to make a decision about Halloween candy! You could maybe give me some advice if you lost 35 lb last year (way to go on that too!), since I could use that. I am maintaining instead of gaining though in this, my quit year.

I think we need a plan, just like we did to quit smoking. It may not feel like quitting was a "plan", but I started out by committing to One Minute At A Time. I have to still laugh at myself. An entire Day At A Time seemed crazy to me my first few quit weeks. Slowly but surely I did go to ODAAT. So we could take the candy temptations OMAAT, or O-Hour-AAT, or whatever makes the most sense with where you're at. I'm far enough along in my quit that I made a deal with myself that I can have all the Halloween candy I want on Halloween weekend, none until then. Maybe modify that to a reward once a day or once a week. Good news: Candy is not addictive!

Also planning healthy substitutes might help this year since your quit is so young. It would probably help your quit too. How's this? Whenever you desire candy, drink a glass of water. Whenever you desire candy, brush your teeth. Whenever you desire candy, walk around the building once. Perhaps have the dreaded supply of carrots and celery on hand if you can stomach that. You might get an idea from that that will work for you.

Most importantly:
As long as we don't decide that substituting nicotine for candy is a good idea, we are doing GREAT!

Cheers! Looking forward to your Greening!

~ Kay ~
Gaining on and celebrating 10 months of Freedom~!

ShellyBGold
ShellyBGold

October 22nd, 2004, 12:27 am #3

I *SO* hear you!
There's so much chocolate around here! My office is crazy- everyone has a bucket or mug full of sweets at their desk (including me!) I didn't used to have such a sweet tooth... welcome to the "new" me for now, right?

I have, pretty much, zero will power.
Instead of trying to resist the sweets- this week I have tried to have some alternatives...
I have individually wrapped "twizzlers" at my desk. It's a low fat candy- satisfies the sweet tooth- and it lasts longer than a piece of chocolate. I also took an idea from the "way to beat the crave" parade- I have honey nut cheerios at my desk- again- I get the sweet without over indulging. I have a few mini starlight mints (the kind you get at a restaurant) to **** on. I found that having something on hand (that's at least better for me) is better than just grazing as I walk across the office. So I've got a sweet chewey- sweet crunchy- and sweet hard. So many options!!
Just my temporary solution idea for myself! :)

Good luck!
~ Shelly
---
1week 1day 15.5 hours smoke-free, 170 cigs not smoked, $46.75 less broke

Glenn
Glenn

October 22nd, 2004, 9:18 am #4

Howdy,

I, too, work out 3-4 times per week. And I got into the Halloween candy myself.

I have gained about 10 pounds, which is more than I expected. I ate a little more to provide myself with some comfort, feeling that I deserved it. Yeah, that was probably a mistake. Realizing the weight issue is a little different for women, I know I can lose it. So can you. Anyone who works out that much has the ability to do so, right?

The important thing is to protect your quit.

Glen
2 months +

Pindan Pearl
Pindan Pearl

October 22nd, 2004, 1:51 pm #5

Hi, 35 pounds, that is some wight loss, you can be so pround. I must say I have never had a weight problem myself and am not sure if that makes my input less or more relevant... But what I have found is that sine my quit 9 days ago, I nibble even less in between savoury food (I don't say meals because I graze frequently).
I think the reason for this positive change is that when I was at work before and would crave a smoke between breaks, when I could not have one, I would go and find a biscuit or two or lots... Now that the physical side of the nicotine withdrawl has eased, I find that I no longer crave the afternoon biscuit(s).
I think the answer probably is, have a couple of treats, treat your recently recovered taste buds, but don't use sweets as a substitute for something you no longer need (nicotine). You'll be fine.