Freedom - Your Journey to Comfort

John (Gold)

23 Jan 2004, 23:13 #41

Thanks Freedom!
A sincere thanks to each and everyone of you for helping keep Freedom an achievement oriented forum whose sole objective is in helping every member stay nicotine free today.

None of us have the time needed to daily address the needs of new arrivals but from the newest Newbie to the most seasoned Oldbie, together we form an amazing team!

The fact that Freedom has no distracting or devisive social clubs or cliques and that every message posted remains focused upon the mission at hand evidences the seriousness and oneness with which each us take our mission.

May every generation of new arrivals find the same dedicated spirit and focused support that thrived when we arrived!
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Sep 2009, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

31 Jan 2004, 01:26 #42

Thank You BSG
(Bronze, Silver & Gold)
Members!

Just a quick thanks to all of our BSG members who have helped make Freedom the nicotine dependency resource it is. Layer upon layer, generation upon generation, you've stepped forward and left your footprint upon the lives and life expectancy of others. What I hope you don't think is that we, the managers, have abandoned you or are not greatly appreciative of all you do. If we seem a bit less visible in recent weeks it isn't because we're not working beside you but that we are each dealing with increased demands upon our time resulting from the tremendous growth and success that each of you have helped foster.

Word is slowly spreading about this amazing place you've each helped create. There are now many days when the emails needing prompt attention just don't stop arriving. Imagine having Linda and Joanne's email boxes as they took care of the tremendous influx of our January members while insuring each was nicotine free and off to a solid start.

And if we think our demands have risen sharply they're nothing compared to the multitude of directions that Joel is being pulled. I don't know how he does it.

Thanks to each of you for picking-up the slack during January. It feels great to click upon a new member's thread and not only see that their expressed concern has been addressed and appropriate references given but that recovery concerns invisible to the untrained eye are also being caught and discussedd.

Think about it. It's almost frightening. Our BSG membership is very likely the most knowledgeable group of ex-smokers assembled together anywhere on the planet. Be proud of what you've done.

Like any institution of learning and support, the impact of your sharing, caring and teaching is being felt far far beyond your screen. To all of you amazing givers who've moved beyond the early challenges comforted by the focus concept of taking recovery just "one day at a time" we say thank you!! Remember, no matter how far our comfort carries us, our arrested dependency travels with us. To us it's as simple as .... Never Take Another Puff!

John (Gold)

10 Feb 2004, 10:59 #43

Please Read Our Courtesies
If you're looking in and considering joining us here at Freedom please be sure and read Our Courtesies as Freedom is unlike any other cessation forum you may visit. We're a family oriented recovery site, discussions are limited to prevention and recovery related issues and we take our mission deadly serious. With smoking having a 50% adult kill rate we have to. Sincere thanks!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Sep 2009, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

DlunyGOLD

15 Feb 2004, 22:20 #44

I found this thread while responding to a question this morning and I am embarrassed to say it is one I had never read! Thanks to all who have come before me to provide such a wonderful resource for quitting and staying quit!

John you mentioned in several posts how helpful it is to have the BSG (Bronze Silver and Gold) Members posting and addressing new members' concerns before the managers do. I just wanted to remind you that the management of this group over the last 5 years has made it so EASY to do! Even though there are over 200,000 posts available now, finding just the right thread to point someone to when it is needed is incredibly simple, which is definitely a testament to the organizational skills of the management here!

Thanks for the group, thanks for this thread, thanks for the way the sites are laid out (I always consider Whyquit.com to be joined at the hip to Freedom and consider it one big site) and especially thank you for giving us the trust to go forth and post. The rules for posting are reasonable and certainly help with my quit as it reminds me that if I need help with other issues offlne, I need to go to the many places available to deal with those issues and if I need help with not smoking then I need to be right here!

Thanks again, hope to be around to help out for a long time to come!

yqb, David - Free and Healing for Three Months, Nine Days and 20 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days and 6 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1800 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $135.58.

John (Gold)

28 Feb 2004, 02:51 #45

Thanks David. If we could start over again we'd probably change a few things, like the name to Freedom from Nicotine. I'm afraid that GSK's November assertion in Tobacco Control that 36.6% of all nicotine gum users are now chronic long-term users is just the beginning as more intense forms of nicotine delivery move into the market. It won't be too long before their speed and punch come close to the experience of inhaling nicotine laden smoke.

Again, we want to thank each of you for helping make Freedom more potent than you found it by making recovery experience a permanent part of the posting landscape.

Also a very special thanks to all our BSG givers. This place just wouldn't have been the same these past two months without your collective wisdom. We've had more WhyQuit & Freedom traffic in Jan. & Feb (over 3 million hits) than we had in all of 2001. Although wonderful, it can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Thanks Freedom!

John (Gold)

04 Mar 2004, 19:12 #46

We're told every now and then that we need to be more like other forums and let members do their own thing, that we're taking recovery far too seriously, or questioning how we can call ourselves Freedom when there is no freedom of general socialization, freedom of speech to engage in discussions about issues other than nicotine dependency recovery or prevention, no freedom to advertise, and absolutely no freedom to explore toying with the latest quick-fix magic cure.

They're right in every regard except one, we have no desire to try and be like anything other than what we are - an education, motivation and support tool that will always and forever put education first. We're a serious classroom first and foremost, we have to be as nicotine dependency is not some multiple choice exam where the price of failure is simply a bad grade on a report card. Here a failing grade - one puff - is very possibly a death sentence. Above the door it says Freedom from Smoking, not freedom to exercise personal liberties.

Do this forum's rules demand focus? Absolutely! Too serious? I don't think so. My second live clinic had fourteen participants. Two weeks later eleven had remained nicotine free and graduated. One of the three who didn't make it recently died from lung cancer. They tell us that 4.9 million of our brother and sister nicotine addicts smoked themselves to death last year. If they had arrived here looking for a serious recovery tool and only clicked upon one or two threads before making their decision on whether to read further, what would they have found?

We thank each and everyone of you for ensuring that those who do arrive are greeted with the single-minded sense of serious purpose reflected by in the phrase "just one day at a time allow the next breath to continue the healing."

John (Gold)

14 Mar 2004, 03:25 #47

Thanks Freedom!
As each new generation of members weave their glory into Freedom's ever expanding fabic this tool grows in value for new arrivals willing to read, learn and grow. If you're new to the group we strongly encourage you to explore, find and smile as you discover a most amazing fountain of wisdom that was deposited here with your arrival in mind. Like those that came before you, the glory is 100% yours!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Sep 2009, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

15 May 2004, 06:23 #48

Thanks Freedom!
A sincere thanks to all of you for helping keep Freedom an achievement oriented forum whose sole objective is in helping every member stay nicotine free today! From the newest Newbie to the most seasoned Oldbie, together we form a powerful team! The fact that Freedom has no distracting or devisive social clubs or cliques evidences the seriousness and oneness with which each us take our mission! May every generation of new arrivals find the same dedicated spirit and focused support that thrived when we arrived!
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

13 Jun 2004, 05:03 #49

This is really an important string. IThe real strength at Freedom is how it always stays focused on smoking cessation-even in the face of other major issues that may happen over time. I suspect at times people have areas in their lives that seem so important or so integral to their well being that they sometimes think that not smoking is of secondary importance. Or, sometimes a person may feel that they need to bring up personal problems at Freedom that seem of great importance to them because this is where they got so much help in what seemed such an insurmountable problem as quitting smoking. But such actions will dilute the power of Freedom.

What Freedom is so good at doing is getting a person who may be so distracted by other problems to come here and refocus their thoughts-that even in lieu of other big issues, not smoking still needs to still be given the utmost priority. The person's actual life depends on it.

A person's thought sometimes may be, "How can I quit smoking and not be able to discuss this lifestyle, personal issue, specific problem or belief which is so much an important part of my life right now?" This same question could be asked about issues involving things like family values, abortion, politics, religion, gambling, drinking, drugs, premarital or extramarital affairs, sexual orientation, gun control, child rearing problems, caring for the elderly and a host of other real life issues. Each and every one of our members does this everyday-we live our other areas of our life and deal with many issues of major importance and still reserve a little time at Freedom to focus on the importance of not smoking.

This same effort is crucial to sustaining a quit, while here at Freedom or even when people have moved on, keep not smoking a number one priority. To keep your Freedom, your health and your life always stay focused on the bottom line importance of knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

10 Aug 2004, 05:59 #50

Thank You Freedom!

I know we don't say it enough but thanks to each of
you for helping keep Freedom's focus focused on
helping each member remain nicotine free today!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Sep 2009, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.