Freedom - Your Journey to Comfort

Slycat

04 Jul 2002, 04:38 #21

ONE MORE THING JOHN:

I am not sure where those Threads Are...

Can you please post them for me???

Thanks...Judy

Joel

04 Jul 2002, 04:46 #22

Hello Judy:

I didn't see the post you did about the 4th of July so I am limited to what I can say about it. The post I did about Memorial Day was really taking the opportunity of the holiday to do a little historical education about smoking and the toll that it took on American soldiers who were in fact some of the earliest victims of smoking related diseases because of the way cigarettes were given relatively freely to the soldiers of World War I and World War II as part of their rations.

In the Summertime post I did today, where I started to talk about the 4th of July holiday, I again tried to make the message all inclusive--it was not that we were trying to get every one at Freedom from all countries to honor or celebrate an American holiday--rather I was trying to get everyone at Freedom to appreciate every day as not smoking as Independence Day no matter what date of the year it is and no matter what country you are from.

That is the trick in trying to keeping the board focused--not to ignore the world happening around us but to try to use events that happen around us as a backdrop for delivering a message that reinforces people to stay smoke free.

I do cover the 4th of July Holiday because it is one day that often creates strong triggers for some people when it comes to smoking. Some people remember lighting fire crackers with cigarettes when they were first starting smoking. Many people remember smoking while watching fire works and if this is there first year being smoke free this specific activity will be a trigger. People get together with certain people at picnics and parades that only happen once a year on the 4th of July so these events too may be triggers. Again, the reason for bringing up the holiday is not to celebrate the event--it is to prepare our members and lurkers who may be facing such events to be ready for thought if they happen for these activities may indeed be triggers.

Again, everyone here should be celebrating tomorrow their day of independence--not because it is an American holiday but because of the fact that they stayed independent for one more day, and will stay independent every day in the future as long as they always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Slycat

04 Jul 2002, 05:00 #23

Hi Joel:

Thank you for the wonderful response.

Yes, you did talk about the soldiers in that thread and how smoking had affected so many of them. I in return talked about my father and how he started to smoke in the war. It was a wonderful Thread and it was not just about the holiday.

Yes, we do have to direct all the threads here to give everybody support in their quits. That is the most important thing here. Yes I deleted my thread because it was more geared towards the Holiday rather than smoking. Although I did mention about being smoke free during the holiday... It was not enough...

John has explained everything to me and I do thank you both for being the backbone in my quit.... For both being there for me when I need you.....

Thank You.

Judy

John (Gold)

24 Aug 2002, 18:17 #24

ImageA struggling visitor is knocking at the door. It's day two of his quit and he has arrived at Freedom with doubts flooding his mind. Two rather intense anxiety crave episodes so far, he has three to go to make it thought the day. As with over 4 million other smokers this year, both time and opportunities have run out. Unless successful today the heart attack next month will be fatal. His mind has tried to convince him that his last two minute crave anxiety attack was more like two hours long. He is giving his all while knowing almost nothing at all about quitting. The first thread he clicks upon turns out to be a birthday party. Desperate, he decides to try another. This time his anxieties are greeted by a comfortable and highly successful six month quitter describing in great detail how horribly brutal their day has been. Discouraged, he turns off his computer, relapses, and dies.

There are thousands and thousands of wonderful social forums on the net that were designed and created to share and comfort their members when life gets rough, or to celebrate and share when things are good! It's what they're all about. The groups are sorted by age, sex, location, hobbies, political philosophy, religion, occupation, and hundreds of other categories. Here are a couple of links:
If any of you would like to discuss our policies with the managers please do so by email and not on the Boards. We know this isn't easy. We sincerely thank all of you for helping keep the focus here at Freedom on our mission - freeing those dependent upon nicotine! I know I speak for all the managers is saying THANK YOU FREEDOM!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Sep 2009, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

13 Oct 2002, 04:24 #25

Thank You Freedom! As you may have noticed, over the past couple of weeks we've had some rather major construction work ongoing at WhyQuit that has occupied vast chuncks of time of not only the managers but of some of our more seasoned graduates too. Although we've kept one eye on thing, there really is little to be concerned over as Freedom's newest newbies are always surrounded by some of the most educated and skilled cessation givers anywhere on earth! Thanks to all for helping Freedom maintain its focus! Today is doable!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John : )

John (Gold)

21 Oct 2002, 20:02 #26

A Message to Prospective Members
Is Freedom Right for You?
As you'll quickly notice, Freedom remains highly focused on a single topic Freedom from nicotine! With smoking today costing half of all smokers over 5,000 days of life, we are deadly serious about our mission.
If you're here to end your chemical dependency upon nicotine and take back control of your life then you're in the right place. But if you have other needs that you think Freedom should fulfill then Freedom may not be right for you.
There are no days, hours or minutes off from our mission. There are no subject matter exception to our focus posting requirement - it's 100% freedom from nicotine. Every now and then we get a member whose initial agenda is different than Freedom's. We also have to deal with the reality that 100% of our members are on a journey that is moving them away from needing the tremendous front-end focus that defines our mission and comes with mastering the ABCs of nicotine cessation.
Having to expend time and energy in corrective action to maintain forum focus is our least favorite expenditure of time. We have provided a list of links to other forums that you'll find on www.WhyQuit.com in the lower right corner. Some of these forums have no subject matter posting requirements whatsoever and almost anything goes.
If you find Freedom's mission focus is in any way troubling to you now then such feelings are likely to only grow more troubling as comfort begins to arrive. All are free to read, use or even print all of our articles and materials but posting privileges are reserved for those who understand the importance of our mission.
Thanks in advance for reflecting upon the importance of our mission. Regardless of the forum you choose, always remember that once established chemical addiction is a permanent condition. To keep your dependeny under arrest requires only that you NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! John

John (Gold)

14 Nov 2002, 00:46 #27

Thanks Freedom for always doing your very best to make sure that every thread opened by any visitor to these boards will be a welcome invitation to stay, read and learn at what may very well be the most focused online cessation tool anywhere. They're not here seaching for a social life, to debate or to be entertained. They came in search of knowledge and serious support in helping them arrest their addiction. It's who we are, it's all we strive to be, and we wouldn't be the tool we are, without the amazing cooperaton of all of Freedom's members! Thanks!
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

John (Gold)

27 Nov 2002, 22:36 #28

Image If the intense focus demanded by this forum begins to bother you then please try and understand that it's not necessarily a bad sign. It may mean that you are getting along in your quit and growing just a wee bit tired of the endless hammering of the ABC's of nicotine cessation and the intense focus that will always be the hallmark of this site. But as the ABC's become second nature to you it's easy to Imagelose sight of the fact that the ABC's are what this place is all about.

During 2002 our members on a whole have done a fantastic job of understanding and appreciating the evolution of their online needs. It really is akin to high school graduates outgrowing the school's programs or teens growing up and finding mom and dad's house rules just too darn confining.

The entire forum is extremely thankful that so many in harmony with Freedom's core teachings choose to stay and help support the the next generation of arrivals. But we are just as thankful to all those members who realize that they've outgrown Freedom's structured confines, yet handle this simple reality in a mature manner. To attack, disrupt or even destroy this forum would be so so easy. Thank you Freedom !

John (Gold)

11 Jan 2003, 10:57 #29

As some of our newest members may have already Image discovered Freedom marches to its own drummer. It's no accident that the focus here is so serious and single minded. The single mindedness flows from the realization that there are only two options, freedom or feedom. The tremendous focus maintained here is in large part derived by most members developing an educated appreciation of just how serious every member's quest for freedom actually is.

This thread only asks that each new member to take a moment and reflect upon the simple fact that as your quit matures and comfort begins to arrive, you may possibly tire of constantly hearing the ABC's of quitting, over and over and over again, as generation after generation of new members continue coming through the door. All we ask is that each of us dedicate ourselves to ensuring that the next generation arrives to the same serious and focused message that was present when we began our quest. There's only one rule - no nicotine - Never Take Another Puff! John - The Gold Club

John (Gold)

26 Jan 2003, 14:11 #30

If this place seems overly serious to you then
you've got it right. The bottom line is that
the cause of death for 50% of the smokers you
saw today will be the smoke you witnessed them
inhale. We wish we could sugar-coat nicotine's
destruction but is that what you really want or need?