Freedom's Best Crave Coping Tips !

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Alyson GOLD.ffn

07 Jan 2005, 07:39 #71

Read through all the replies to this thread to take advantage of the experiences of so many who've gone before!

I recommend dancing and singing with the music up LOUD. It gets you through the crave and uses your healing body to actively celebrate at the same time!

Alyson
Gold Club

Just Gie Gold

07 Jan 2005, 07:44 #72

I'd have to say during my first 2 weeks, I was soooooo clean from showering/bathing perpetually.
Last edited by Just Gie Gold on 18 Feb 2014, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

ZZRSteve GOLD

07 Jan 2005, 08:19 #73

Nothing beats a good, old fashioned walk. Raining? Who cares? Dark? Who cares? Little kids at home? Put em in the stroller and have at it. My $0.02.
Steve 7 months, 24 days.
Last edited by ZZRSteve GOLD on 16 Mar 2009, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

09 Oct 2005, 20:10 #74

I saw where a newer member wrote that she picked up on the idea of using cinnamon sticks to help her quit smoking and got the idea from a suggestion on our board. I only found a few strings that ever mentioned cinnamon sticks, and all of them that I could find except this one had the link to Crutches to Quit Smoking attached to them. While some people may have made comments of what they did in this string, no one should feel that all suggestions by individuals should automatically be construed as good ideas. Any item of practice can become of crutch. Below is the full text to the string Crutches to Quit Smoking that discusses the implication of crutch replacement. Other strings addressing this issue are
"Do whatever it takes to quit smoking" and Conventional quitting wisdom.

Crutches to Quit Smoking

"Boy did I ever drink my brains out, today," a clinic participant enthusiastically proclaimed, "But I did not smoke!" She was so proud of her accomplishment. Two whole days without smoking a single cigarette. To her, being bombed out of her mind was a safe alternative to the deadly effects of cigarettes.

Just 24 hours earlier I had made a special point of mentioning the dangers of replacing one addiction with another. In quitting smoking one should not start using any other crutches which might be dangerous or addictive. But this was not of concern to her. She said, "I already have a drinking problem, so what more could go wrong with getting drunk to quit smoking." Twenty minutes into the program, she stood up, passed out and had to be carried out.

Quitting by crutch replacement carries varying degrees of risks. Turning to any other addictive substance, even legal or prescribed drugs, carries the risk of a new addiction. In many of these cases the end result will be a more significant problem than just the original smoking. The new addiction can cause the person's life to end in shambles, and when it comes time to deal with the new dependance he or she will often relapse to cigarettes.

Turning to food, especially high calorie sweet foods, will usually result in a psychological need with a subsequent weight gain. The risk of weight gain is insignificant in comparison to the dangers associated with cigarettes. The ex-smoker would have to gain over 100 pounds to create the equivalent health hazard of cigarette smoking. But weight gain often results in a state of panic and frustration which can lead the ex-smoker to conclude that he or she would rather be a skinny smoker than an obese ex-smoker. The fallacy which causes the ex-smoker to reach this conclusion is that only two options exist for him or her - smoke or eat more. In fact, other choices exist. One is not smoking and eating in a manner similar to when he or she was a smoker. Another is increasing activity levels to compensate for the added caloric intake when eating extra amounts.

Some people turn to a healthy alternative as a crutch, like jogging or swimming. These activities carry low risk and, in fact, often result in physical benefits. But if they are being done as a direct crutch in maintaining abstinence, they pose one major threat. As with drugs, alcohol, or food, when the day comes that one must stop the activity, the seemingly successful ex-smoker will often relapse. Sometimes a minor ankle sprain will temporarily end a jogger's running, or an ear infection will interfere with swimming. What should be a temporary minor inconvenience ends in a tragic result - relapse to cigarettes. Again, the ex-smoker believes that only one of two states exist for him or her - either smoking or mandatory exercise. But, in actuality, a third choice exists, not smoking and doing nothing. This is not to say an ex-smoker should not take up physical activities after quitting. But exercise should be done for the enjoyment and for the true benefits derived from it. The ex-smoker should do it because he or she wants to, not because he or she has to.

If you are going to develop a crutch, make sure it is one which you can maintain for the rest of your life without any interruption. One that carries no risks and can be done anywhere, anytime. About the only crutch which comes close to meeting these criteria is breathing. The day you have to stop breathing, smoking will be of little concern. But until that day, to stay free from cigarettes all you need to do is - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Last edited by Joel on 14 Apr 2009, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

libby111605

08 Jan 2006, 10:34 #75

The best thing for me is to come to this site and read - calms me right down!
Libby - 7 weeks, 3 days quit

nosmokinvickie

08 Jan 2006, 10:54 #76

I have been reading articles from this site and deep breathing as well. i am mostly just trying to keep my hands busy and i have been crocheting and teaching myself to sew plus i brush my teeth a lot... You don't want a cigarette after brushing your teeth!!!
Vickie
I have been quit for 6 Days, 21 hours, 55 minutes and 26 seconds (6 days). I have saved $16.59 by not smoking 82 cigarettes. I have saved 6 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/1/2006 12:00 AM

John (Gold)

08 Jan 2006, 11:16 #77

As you begin to dose off tonight you'll greet a moment in time when the conscious and subconscious minds come closest. I encourage you to Image use this window of opportunity, just before falling to sleep, to calm any remaning deep inner anxiety producing fears and to feed your mind the most positive image you can of a reclaimed life that is beginning to notice and relish the ease and beauty of freedom from nicotine.
Use the moment to have your own little parade, to take pride that you remained free and healing today! Allow yourself full acceptance of the fact that to remain free and healing will always be as simple as ... no nicotine, Never Take Another Puff!
John (Gold x6)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Mar 2009, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

08 Jan 2006, 11:50 #78

Don't Let Any Tip Become a Crutch

A crutch is any form of dependency recovery reliance that
becomes so great that if removed could result in relapse.

Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Feb 2014, 14:20, edited 3 times in total.

John (Gold)

17 Jan 2006, 19:42 #79

It's been about 15 years since I quit smoking cold turkey. Have to say It was the most difficult thing I've done in my life. Think it helps to have, or develop, a stubborn streak about the situation--when cravings struck, I reminded myself the tobacco companies were literally banking on the addiction's hold.
No "tricks", other than putting a few butts and some water into a baby food jar. (Cutting back hadn't worked--found myself rooting through my garbage for old cigarettes.) Wore clothing with pockets so I could carry it everywhere. Can't tell you how many times a day I needed to look at it!
One last thing--I would never have succeeded if I'd thought of quitting in terms of weeks or months. I could only handle the withdrawal hour by hour.
Good luck to everyone.
Helene
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Mar 2009, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

sondrat123

30 Jan 2006, 06:21 #80

sandy -a nicotine addict who hasn't smoked or used nicotine for Twenty Three Days, 19 Hours and 40 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 5 Hours, by avoiding the use of 357 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $53.65.

I have been using a rubber band around my left wrist. When the "thought" comes to me or I get that empty, restless feeling that I'm missing something, I snap the rubber band to get my attention back on the fact that I am a nonsmoker. I picture a black and diseased lung that I saw on the internet and then picture my lungs getting healthier and remind myself that if I EVER take another puff, I'm right back where I started!!

NTAP and don't fool with nicotine!!!