Freedom's Best Crave Coping Tips !

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

23 Sep 2002, 12:14 #41

Hi,

The best tip I have so far to cope with cravings is to write about it and read post and articles that make you understand how the addiction works and the symptoms and so on.

But when I cannot read or write, I try using my mind as time machine: I go back and forward in time.

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! also helps me.

See you
just
Quit for: 3 Days 14 Hours 43 Minutes 36 Seconds. I have NOT smoked 65 cigarettes, for a savings of €16.65. Life Saved: 5 Hours 25 Minutes.

30 Sep 2002, 14:52 #42

This is really the core of success in quitting smoking:

Never take another puff!!

It looks too simple, but it is the only rule that will allow you to beat nicotine addiction.

Yesterday I was in Paris, beautiful city in its complex architecture. I was going to enter in that bistrot and have a drink just before getting on the bus. The bistrot was populated by smokers of any kind: cigarettes, cigars or pipe.
My first reaction was: I am not going in there!
Then I decide to sit at a table outside the bistrot.

I was still a bit concerned by all the smokers inside and outside the bistrot. Ordered a soft drink and spend a few minutes admiring the buildings sorrounding the square.
When I left, I was to the number of cigarettes I would smoked if I was sitting at that table just a couple of weeks before.
This time I had none, even though smokers were around me.
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF is the rule and this will set you FREE.

16 Oct 2002, 01:27 #43

Hello Rose:

Sunflower seeds are not that particularly low in calories. One ounce worth which can easily be eaten in a serving would be 162 calories. Lets day you "treat" yourself to one serving a day at one ounce each as a kind of crutch replacement to quitting smoking. In one month you would have consumed 4,860 extra calories which will translate to almost 1.4 pounds of fat. In one year this replacement behavior if not stopped would translate to over 16 pounds of extra fat. Be careful with food as a substituted behavior, no matter how natural the food may be.

21 Oct 2002, 05:14 #44

I still consider myself new at my quit sence Ive only been off nicotine 6 weeks, when I first stoped smoking I wasen't one who had alot of cravings ..the withdrawls were mild and now I have very,very few, Infact I cant think of any Ive had today , anyway, back to ways to get through cravings. at first when I did expereance some the best thing I did for myself was take a deep breaths and exhale slowley, it sure helped me. Billie

21 Oct 2002, 08:50 #45

I don't think I have ever replied to this thread. If I have or if this trick is already in here somewhere, it bears repeating anyway. My wife has a ten-year old cocker spaniel. In the early days of my quit, I would sit with the dog in my lap and rub its head.

I'm talking for hours. I purt near rubbed the hide off that old dog in the first couple of weeks. She must have liked it, though. Didn't complain much. Petting an animal is very calming. Try it for your next crave. It's also low-calorie. :-)

Dave

26 Sep 2003, 04:37 #46

Hi - Gina here. I'm SUCH a newbie it's unbelieveable BUT - what I've been doing, today and yesterday, because I get cravings ALL the time at this point, I do one of two things, I'll either take a bath, I have this aromatherapy stuff for my bath and I'll sit there and I have a motivational CD on quitting smoking I'll listen to why bathing OR if I don't have time for the bath, I'll grab one of my kids, (they're so cute!!!) and sit and kiss and hug and squeeze them for definitely more than 3 minutes. If the craving is REALLY bad, I'll do both!!!!!

Nicotine Free for 4 days 18 hours 30 minutes......

19 Oct 2003, 09:17 #47

I have really hard time in the car so I keep a wad of silly putty in the ashtray of my car. When I get a craving I grab the silly putty and just work it with my hands. Believe it or not it's very relaxing and and helps take your mind off your crave.

I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Weeks 14 Hours 41 Minutes 52 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 511. Money saved: $115.07.

19 Oct 2003, 12:10 #48

The thing that work best for me and why I think they do:

1. HAVE A DEEP BREATH. Produces a natural reward feeling and remembers me my lungs. As Joel has said, this one is the only we always will have at hand.

2. DRINK A GLASS OF WATER. Produces a natural reward feeling and remembers me of my digestive system.

Vito
1M 2W 4D 1H 3Mns
Saved to date: $144.10
Cigs not smoked: 1201
Last edited by Vito Silver on 18 Feb 2014, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

29 Oct 2003, 22:46 #49

Wheneve I sense a crave I use this simple but effective (with me) system , I hope I can help you too.
In my mind I count how many stinksikarettes I would have smoked today starting from the first one at 8:00 just out of bed, the second at 8:15 with my cappuccino, the third at 8:30 checking my e-mail, the fourth at 9:00 walking to the station, the fifth at 9:20 while waiting for the train, the sixth at 10:00 when I get off the train .......
by 12:00 O`clock I am SO Happy I QUITand do not need to TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER AGAIN!
Ryuerik
Free and Healing for Nine Days, 7 Hours and 44 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 233 filthy stinksikarettes and depriving the tobacco company`s and the tax office of 3.147,64 JPY.

27 Nov 2003, 02:44 #50

I'm a newbie so not all that ready to be giving instead of receiving advice but I picked a song, Walk On by U2 and if I'm home or in the car I pop it in a sing it as loud as I possibly can (which I can do better now) and repeat if I feel necessary. Pick an anthem and use it!

05 Jan 2004, 23:21 #51

Congratulations to alll of our newbies for making the decision to TAKE YOUR LIVES BACK! And thank you all for reminding me what it felt like to be in the first week of withdrawal. I sure as heck NEVER want to go back to that! Here's a thread I thought you might enjoy...please feel free to add YOUR tips for meeting, greeting, and defeating those craves!

I know when I first started this battle I kept a rubber band around my wrist. Whenever the crave hit really hard, I would twist this band around in my fingers to help with that "I need to do something with my hands" feeling. Remember, celebrate your victories...and every crave beaten is a victory!

YQS-

Lotus~ 468 Days

08 Jan 2004, 03:51 #52

Hi friends,

I am a newbie, but I have found a wierd thing that works for me.

I keep a small container of my favorite hand/body lotion in my fanny pack. (I have room for that now, because I'm not trying to jam in a packet of cigarettes!).

When I am visiting friends or family and I feel a craving, I pull my little container out and put some on my hands. I think this works for me because I like the smell. It's such a treat not to smell smokey hands.

I've been free for 1 week, 3 days, and nearly 2 hours. I'll NEVER take another puff!

22 Jan 2004, 01:11 #53

My favorite smoke of the day was always the one that I had when I first woke up. I would roll over, turn off the alarm, turn on the news and light a cig. I'd spend some time coughing up the **** that my lungs had cleaned out overnight and smoke my cig. My hubby would do the same and we would not speak or get near each other while we went through this routine.

Now that we both have quit, we roll over stretch and take a deep breath, turn on the news and snuggle while we wake up. So, I guess my coping tip is to spend some time close and snuggling with someone you love and enjoy the fact that you will be able to snuggle that much longer since you have added time to your life.

Kelly - Free and Healing for Nine Days, 5 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Hours, by not smoking 184 cigarettes that would have cost me $30.50.

23 Jan 2004, 05:39 #54

I'm sure this one is listed somewhere, but I like to take a brisk walk. I'm fortunate in that the company I work for has literally miles of hallways. When cravings hit, sometimes I'll just get up and go for a walk. If it's nice outside, I'll go for a walk outside. Stairs would probably work too, but we don't have any long flights of those in this building.

One other that I can think of that really works - coming here and reading. But then, if you're reading this, you already know that. ;)

23 Jan 2004, 12:04 #55

There are several things that help me during a crave. Thankfully these are happening less often and are much less intense. One thing I do is wash my hands. For some reason that helps. If I am not where I can wash my hands, I have some great smelling lotion I put on. I like the smell and it gives me something to do. Shower definitely help a lot. I'm sure I could come up with more, but those are the main ones I have used almost daily to get me to this point. Hope that helps.

************************************************************************************
Lady H
Happily healing and smoke free for Two weeks, three days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 10 seconds. 719 cigarettes not smoked, saving $71.92. Life saved: 2 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes. 
Last edited by LadyHouck on 18 Feb 2014, 14:04, edited 3 times in total.

23 Jan 2004, 13:10 #56

Stomping around and huming a tune. By the time Im done with the song Im laughing so hard I forgot to smoke.

~MS~

15 Days Freedom

17 Apr 2004, 23:26 #57

cold cranberry juice also provides such a kick and gives a nice boost to blood sugar if i'm feeling particularly crabby; ice cold water has been working for me as well. both are great for killing any craves, they keep my mouth busy, and i can bring a bottle with me in the car.
i've also been brushing my teeth after i eat to reprogram my ritual of smoking after i have finished. who wants to smoke after having such nice breath?

Never take another puff.

ahnaka
six days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 27 seconds. 97 cigarettes not smoked, saving $20.71. Life saved: 8 hours, 5 minutes.

18 Apr 2004, 02:00 #58

Change Something!
After day 3, I stopped dealing with physical cravings and was now dealing with psychological triggers -- though some psychological triggers certainly have their physical manifestations. Anyway, my brain takes cues from what I am doing and cues from the environment, compares them to my memory banks and says, "Time to smoke" when it finds similarities. Consciously changing something small seems to break most connections. I have done the following when experiencing a trigger:
  • Moved furniture in each room around slightly
  • Moved the plants
  • Driven a different route
  • Walked on the other side of someone I often walk with
  • Exit out a different door
  • Changed my purse
  • Rearranged the items on my desk
See what I mean? Even switching something from my left to right hand or vice versa when a trigger comes up helps disassociate it with the scene or event. You don't have to do it all the time. I drive a different route home from work once every week or two and the rest of the time I still don't think about smoking in my car any more. Our brains are amazing things.

NTAP! This is a great thread.

~ Kay ~
Celebrating 3 Months, 25 Days, 8 Hours and 29 Minutes of Freedom.
Forsaking 2327 doses of poison has liberated $748.23 and 8 Days and 1 Hour of my life.

19 Apr 2004, 10:44 #59

I found cleanning something to be a good distraction. Clean a window or the glass on a painting near where you smoked and look at the brown smudges on the paper towel. Then think about that gunk on your lungs.

Jenny
Enjoying 36 days of freedom
Last edited by jennyissilver on 18 Feb 2014, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

19 Apr 2004, 11:40 #60

Deep Breathing and healing appreciation. It's hard to believe how well it works for me.

Every day I can breath deeper and it may be my imagination, but these deep breaths "taste" sweeter in my healing lungs everyday. That might not make much sense but it works for me.

When a trigger hits, I take a deep breath, remember how it was to wake up that morning without coughing, and tell myself that if I give in and have a ****, I will lose the ability to take deep breaths and my morning cough will come back and just like that; the trigger passes and I go on living without smoking.

Also, as time passes, I find myself doing it more and more just for pleasure as my triggers become less and less frequent.

It'a great as a coping mechanism as it needs no special equipment to perform and you can do it anytime, anywhere. All you need is air and your own lungs.

Lee
Put down the sickerettes 1M 3D 21h 43m ago. 1,396 **** unsmoked. $244.32 saved and already spent on other things...

25 Jun 2004, 04:42 #61

I usually drop down and do some push ups, that or dips, or I run or something.

Exercising my way through a crave is also helping to keep my weight in check during the first couple weeks of my quit.

16 Jul 2004, 08:56 #62

These are great ideas. Thanks for sharing. My fave. Now that my smeller works better the air seems to smell stale( maybe old cig smoke?) so I spray something. I like the " Pure Citrus" orange freshner best but in a pinch or for a change I'll spritz on some fresh perfume.

Vonnie
2M 3W without nicotine... thanks to you all & Freedom

28 Sep 2004, 02:40 #63

I stay busy! I haven't stopped for much more than sleep and food for two weks. I'm getting so much stuff done it's great! After that I just remember there is no such thing as one puff. That does it for me.
DeWitt
I have been quit for a little more than 13 days. I have saved $34.68 by not smoking 277 cigarettes (that's allot a smoke!). I have saved 23 hours and 5 minutes of my life. I WILL N.T.A.P. THERE CAN NEVER BE ONLY ONE!

Ann

29 Sep 2004, 05:09 #64

Okay, I have one. Next time you have a crave, find someplace where you can observe smokers (perhaps preferably from a distance). One woman in particular has been almost a blessing for me (and that is very selfish, but . . .). She goes outside to smoke as all smokers do and as she inhales she coughs and hacks that nasty wet mucousy cough. Then she takes another drag. I don't know--maybe this isn't a good coping technique, but it puts me right off!

29 Sep 2004, 06:24 #65

Yesterday I had the first real serious consideration to use tobacco that I have had since the first week of my quit.Sure there have been fleeting thoughts and urges but nothing like this on. I thought; "I will just get a can and have one chew" this time I was seriously considering it.

So.....I used Joel's wisdom and asked myself "Do you really want all the additional doses that goes with that first dose of nicotine?" and "The odds are stacked against you, in that you may never have another quit in you!" and the final weapon was "Is it worth it?"

That would be my tip, since it worked for me.
Kevin, NicFree & Luv'n It for 103 days. I quit chewing tobacco on 6/17/04, have not spent $516.70 on copenhagen.