Freedom's Best Crave Coping Tips !

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Feezy (Gold)

22 Apr 2001, 19:35 #21

The most practical thing for me at first was to drink lots of water whenever a craving struck. I used to almost chain-smoke while sitting at the pc, so drinking water helped a lot when I was glued to this site in the first couple of weeks!

Now I'm starting to exercise again, and that feels so good that just thinking about it makes me more determined to never take another puff. Running up the stairs is also a good one - to remind me that I couldn't do that without being severely out of breath when smoking.

Fee - 1 month, 1 week, 1 day

Dida (Gold)

22 Apr 2001, 21:59 #22

Best tips:
1. Go for a brisk walk and imagine the oxygen cleaning out all the **** that you put in....sort of like a vacuum cleaner.
2. Clean your teeth with a flavoured toothpick.
3. Go to the zoo and watch the animals - they sure as heck don't need to smoke.
4. meditate with a mantra: I will not smoke today....over and over till you calm down.
Diana
3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, 41 minutes
236 cigarettes not smoked!!!
19 hours, 40 minutes of life SAVED and put to better use

Sarita

26 Apr 2001, 02:43 #23

I really liked what Zep had to say, so I'm bringing this back up to the top for the newer folks especailly. Please post what is working for YOU.

Sarita @ 2 months, 2 Weeks & 6 Days

mals

26 Apr 2001, 04:48 #24

Memories (horrible ones) of my 72 hour withdrawal period keeps me from ever taking another puff. Don't get me wrong - I do think about them once in a while - like it's weird to not go home, reach for the phone and light up - but I can't .....just can't go through those hellish 3 days ever again and that keeps me clean!

Heike (silver)

12 May 2001, 11:02 #25

I've been very lucky with my cravings, but the couple of really bad times, I posted to the board immediately, had a good whinge, a good cry, felt sorry for myself, read the replies, another good cry and the world was a much better place! Image

Sarita (Bronze)

17 May 2001, 13:16 #26

For the folks posting that they are having a rough time with craves I wanted to take this back to the top. Zep wrote something on this thread, that really helped me immensly. Sorry but i don't have cut and paste capabilities here. If the craves are driving you up the wall check it out. One thing I know without a doubt is that all craves eventually end if we NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Julia @ 3 Months, 1 Week & 5 Days
Last edited by Sarita (Bronze) on 16 Mar 2009, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

wannalife (gold)

11 Jan 2002, 11:56 #27

Toast:

Thanks for the suggestion to read (and read some more)! These were great .... and they helped me get to GREEN! Gee ... I must be excited ... I keep telling everyone.

Thankful to be here and vow to get through this day without taking a puff.

wannalife is proud to say .... free and clean and nicotineless for 1M 2D 1m 20 s; 660 cigs. not smoked ... $132.00 saved Time to go shopping!

Joel

13 Jan 2002, 00:30 #28

I'm discovering that one of the joys of leaving smoking behind is that we find that

1) Smoking was never really a source of relaxation, but actually only a prop to keep us from having to face withdrawal.

2) There are a few hundred different healthy ways to relax that many of us ignored during the years we smoked. Some are 3 minute relaxation fixes and others are full-day fixes. What they have in common is that they promote REAL relaxation; not postponement of withdrawal.

Here are some rewarding alternatives that I've discovered:
  • hot, steamy shower/bath
  • similarly, hot tub, sauna, steam room
  • a walk around the block
  • standing in my back yard watching the birds or the clouds
  • walking on the beach -- I can smell seaweed again
  • backrubs (if you've got an obliging partner, give it a go)
  • lifting weights
I'd be curious what other ways y'all are discovering now that you're not administering nicotine any more....

Last edited by Joel on 18 Feb 2014, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.

Joel

13 Jan 2002, 00:33 #29

Quit Smoking Tip Sheet[/size]

1. Quit cold turkey. In the long run it's the easiest and most effective technique of smoking cessation.[/size]
  2. Do not carry cigarettes.[/size]
  3. Quit smoking one day at a time. Do not concern yourself with next year, next month, next week or even tomorrow. Concentrate on not smoking from the time you wake up until you go to sleep.[/size]
  4. Work on developing the attitude that you are doing yourself a favor by not smoking. Do not dwell on the idea that you are depriving yourself of a cigarette. You are ridding yourself full fledged smoking because you care enough about yourself to want to.[/size]
  5. Be proud that you are not smoking.[/size]
  6. Be aware that many routine situations will trigger the urge for a cigarette. Situations which will trigger a response include: drinking coffee, alcohol, sitting in a bar, social events with smoking friends, card games, the end of meals. Try to maintain your normal routine while quitting. If any event seems to tough, leave it and go back to it later. Do not feel you must give up any activity forever. Everything you did as a smoker, you will learn to do at least as well, and maybe better, as an ex-smoker.[/size]
  7. Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit smoking. Keep this list with you, preferably where you used to carry your cigarettes. When you find yourself reaching for a cigarette, take out your list and read it.[/size]
  8. Drink plenty of fruit juice the first three days. It will help flush nicotine out of your system.[/size]
  9. To help avoid weight gain, eat vegetables and fruit instead of candies and pastries. Celery and carrots can be used safely as short-term substitutes for cigarettes.[/size]
  10. If you are concerned about weight gain, do some moderate form of regular exercise. If you have not been exercising regularly, consult your physician for a practical exercise program which is safe for you.[/size]
  11. If you encounter a crisis, (e.g. a flat tire, flood, blizzard, family illness) while quitting, remember, smoking is no solution. Smoking will just complicate the original situation while creating another crisis, a relapse into the nicotine addiction.[/size]
  12. Consider yourself a "smoke-a-holic." One puff and you can become hooked again. No matter how long you have been off, don't think you can safely take a puff![/size]
  13. Don't debate with yourself how much you want a cigarette. Ask yourself how do you feel about going back to your old level of consumption. Smoking is an all or nothing proposition.[/size]
  14. Save the money you usually spend on cigarettes and buy yourself something you really want after a week or a month. Save for a year and you can treat yourself to a vacation.[/size]
  15. Practice deep breathing exercises when you have a craving.[/size]
  16. Go places where you normally can't smoke, such as movies, libraries and no smoking sections of restaurants.[/size]
  17. Tell people around you that you have quit smoking.[/size]
  18. Remember that there are only two good reasons to take a puff once you quit. You decide you want to go back to your old level of consumption until smoking cripples and then kills you, or, you decide you really enjoy withdrawal and you want to make it last forever. As long as neither of these options appeal to you-never take another puff![/size]

John (Gold)

22 Jan 2002, 12:14 #30

Lots of wonderful stress breakers and aids here Jay Girl!
Also slow deep deep breathing while you clear your mind of all needless chatter and relax as you focus your concentration on your favorite color, object or person. Just a simple break from everything the underlying current of anxiety that many feel during early withdrawal. Cold water too !!!! You're doing great!