"Freedom has ruined my addiction"

kwhtlw
kwhtlw

12:51 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #1

In the past week or so I have considered using tobacco again. The thought processes are different now at just over four months nic'free, than they were in the in the first few weeks of my quit. As the thoughts of using again tried to reason themselves back into existence I began to develop a tendency to entertain them, even if only for a moment. I am finding this behavior to be dangerous and very disturbing to say the least.

So far I have been able to interrupt these thought processes with the truth that freedom has taught me. I question myself, for example. Do I really want to return to slavery? Will I ever have the desire to quit again? Can I quit again? Will I have part of my face removed due to cancer caused by chewing tobacco? Do I really want to go through the pain that comes with chewing? The first chew might be nice, but what about the thousands that are almost certain to follow? Do you want to go through withdrawal again?
My studying at whyquit and my interaction here at freedom has changed everything. My addiction will never be the same. Now that I am armed with truth my addiction can never be what it was, even if I were to return to using. If I use nicotine I fear that I would find myself in a constant state of wishing I had remained in the state of freedom that I had once experienced and have come to love. I am living in freedom now. I have experienced freedom and Thank God! this freedom has ruined my addiction.

Thought: If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Kevin, NicFree & Luv'n It for 126 days. I quit chewing tobacco on 6/17/04, have not spent $630.54 on copenhagen.

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

2:03 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #2

Great to see you, Kevin!

Great post! (No surprise.)
I love it when you drop by. And I am always thrilled to see you are still Free and doing great!

Any chewers readings? Kevin is proof positive that you can quit too!

Cheers,

~ Kay ~
Celebrating 10 months of Freedom 2 days early~!
Last edited by kattatonic1 gold4 on 12:12 PM - Feb 09, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Gorjo1
Gorjo1

2:16 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #3

Hey Kevin ! good to hear from you ?!! You know yourself that junkie thinking can not stand up to the logic of truth - your truth - universal truth ! - "Do I really want to return to slavery? Will I ever have the desire to quit again? Can I quit again? Will I have part of my face removed due to cancer caused by chewing tobacco? Do I really want to go through the pain that comes with chewing? The first chew might be nice, but what about the thousands that are almost certain to follow? Do you want to go through withdrawal again?"
NTAP is the ONLY logical alternative !!
gordon , bronze at 4 months +

wittler h
wittler h

3:33 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #4

Man Kevin I'm so glad you made this post.
I love the idea of dealing with real raw feelings. I mean what you discribed is like having your future in your hands (mentally) and mulled it over a little and choose life! Everyday we do that. Everyday, like Joel says, we have to wake up and say no nicotine today. And probably in some way or another I expect to do that for the rest of my life. I have already made that decision. Nope No Nicotine today. No nicotine today. And when I go to bed tonight I will thank God that I didn't use today. Pat myself on the back and sleep peacefully.
You have been quit longer than me. Your post says to people like me..Hey, it still happens out here! BeWare!
Thanks
DeWitt - I have been quit for a little over 37 days. I have saved $94.77 by not smoking 758 cigarettes (that's allot a smoke!). I have saved 2 Days, 15 hours and 10 minutes of my life. I WILL N.T.A.P. THERE CAN NEVER BE ONLY ONE!

Melissa777 Gold
Melissa777 Gold

4:02 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #5

Hey Kevin,

I loved the title of your post. Your words and the thought process that follows thoughts of smoking are something i also rememeber and can relate to.

Freedom and all it has to offer is one is willing to really recive, is a priceless gift! One that offers hope and a tangible chance at a new more healthful life.

Take care Kevin and celebrate your quit and new life the way it was always meant to be.

Melissa, whom is two years free and absolutely lovin it!

Glenn
Glenn

4:29 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #6

Kevin,

You may have read this before, but I'll repeat it anyways.

Those gum grafts really, really hurt.

Hang in there.

Glen
76 days

Joel
Joel

4:56 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #7

From the string I liked my other support group more

Our clinic will accomplish one of two goals. Either the smoker will quit smoking, or the clinic will **** up his smoking for the rest of his life. No longer will he be able to sit back at the end of a day and think to himself in ignorant bliss how much he enjoyed his cigarettes. To the contrary, if any thought of smoking is allowed to creep into consciousness, it will be anger over how stupid it was to inhale 20, 40, 60 or even more cigarettes that day, and how sad it is that he is probably going to do the same again tomorrow. Why do we want to make the smoker miserable about smoking? Because maybe if he gets mad enough about smoking he will stop it. Sooner or later logic may motivate him to stop. Maybe he will do it on his own, or maybe he will come back to us for help. How he does it is not important; what is important is that he does quit. For, while the concepts we instill in him may make him miserable, not understanding them can cause more significant long term suffering.

If our clinic did what Barbara's first clinic accomplished--alleviating negative feelings toward smoking--it could result in the ammunition necessary to maintain smoking. Since cigarettes are responsible for over 400,000 premature deaths per year and the crippling of literally millions of others, alleviating the anxiety of smoking is not in the best interest of the smoker. Consider the physical, psychological, social, economical and any other personal consequences of smoking. Consider them all and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Last edited by Joel on 12:13 PM - Feb 09, 2012, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

5:14 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #8

From: kito40 - Gold(Original Message) Sent: 1/9/2003 8:44 PM
Kim's Missing Lung - the cancer has now spread to the brain through the blood.
I saw the neurosurgeon today and he has booked the brain tumour removal for Monday morning at 11 am. The tumour is 2 cm in size and is just under the skin on the right side of the brain. I will be sedated but awake during the procedure as they need to monitor my motor skills as they are removing it. He said there is no guarantee that they can get it all but they will keep removing as long as all my functions keep working.
There will be radiation sometime afterwards. It needs time to heal first and to let the swelling go down as radiation causes swelling also.
Kelly will keep you all up to date.
Kim...................10 months +..... and wishing I was going through withdrawal instead of this!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12:14 PM - Feb 09, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

kwhtlw
kwhtlw

5:29 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #9

You tell me!! What other place on the planet could a person go to get such sound wisdom and truth that has the proven effectiveness for nicotine cessation that this messege board contains. My purpose for this post was to reinforce my resolve to Never Take Another Chew and to encuourage others to do the same. I felt that in the last week or so that my thinking was beginning to slip (even if slightly) into the old "junky thinking" as so many call it. I have come too far and feel compelled to slam the door on those thoughts.

I remember Joel saying something like "We here at freedom take offense if you smoke first before posting here at freedom" So, why not take his advise, rather than allow those junky thoughts to grow in strength.

Kay, Gorden, Dewitt, Mellissa, Glen Thanks for your responses!! Words from other quitters are always encourageing. And Glen, The pain of gum transplants (graffs). I have read your posts speaking about it, I use gum graffs as part of my arsenal and am encouraged by your testimony.

Joel, I have read the string multiple times and thank you for sharing it again. It describes exactly the misery that anyone who has quit for a length of time will face when they have the truth within them. This is my favorite part "Either the smoker will quit smoking, or the clinic will **** up his smoking for the rest of his life."

As the title of this string says, I am certain that freedom has ruined my addiction therefore I have no alternative except to remain totally committed to Never Take Another Chew!!!

Kevin Still Nic'Free and Luv'n It

kwhtlw
kwhtlw

5:35 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #10

GRUEN IS ALWAYS A STRONG MOTIVATER.
Last edited by kwhtlw on 12:20 PM - Feb 09, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Joannetta
Joannetta

7:38 AM - Oct 22, 2004 #11

Hi Kevin: Many, many thanks for your post. When the student is ready the teacher will appear certainly applies with the thoughts you shared. At 3+ months I find I'm in a different phase of my addiction and am shocked and horrified that junky thoughts are popping up. I don't want to attribute intelligence to nicotine addiction however the timing does take advantage of me thinking I'm in a comfortable routine.

You also hit the nail on the head about the power of Freedom - no nicotine addiction sneak attack - there isn't a trick we don't read about and learn about here!

Cheers, Joanne at bronze
Last edited by Joannetta on 12:20 PM - Feb 09, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

don t smoke
don t smoke

12:22 PM - Oct 22, 2004 #12

Kevin, Joannetta, John.....Kim..Thank you for sharing. I think you helped me too.
Maryanne

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

4:51 AM - Feb 11, 2006 #13

I've always liked Kevin's title, his post and the replies. If the only thing reading here at Freedom does for a person is ruin their addiction, to strip away the myth of why people inhale the smoke of smoldering tobacco, to see that what is going on is self- assisted & self-afflicted suicide by maintaining a controllable addiction....

If all that happens is that a reader is absolutely miserable taking every dose of nicotine laden tobacco cigarette smoke into their lungs and blood and brain after reading here....

If all that happens when someone reads the truth about nicotine addiction and hates themselves as a smoker or spit tobacco user.....

Well then maybe the seed of a lifetime quit will be planted and grow when it is ready to bathe in the light of truth available here 24/7/365.

When the student is ready the teacher will appear

JJF
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 12:11 PM - Feb 09, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

kwhtlw
kwhtlw

2:54 PM - Feb 11, 2006 #14

Hey Joe! and Hello fellow freedomites!!

I was taking a walk across the net and thought I would stop by to read a bit and saw a post to this string and had to read it.

I can not say enough about just HOW MUCH I LOVE being free of tobacco. I was jogging yesterday and saw a can of copenhagen on the ground. The first thought to come to me was "take a chew" Yes even after almost two years. The second thought was "I will never be able to post at Freedom" and the third was "it's not worth it" and then came the flood of reinforcing thoughts from what I learned here. Ntap(chew), you may never be able to quit again, what about the thousands to follow. My first thought should have been Ntap.

If you are someone who currently uses tobacco and are reading here I want you to know.....this place is for real.....these people are real....and we are free from tobacco.....
AND YOU CAN BE TOO!!!!
It's a better quality of life. PERIOD

My father in law is currently undergoing kemo and radiation treatmen for lung cancer a year after he had his chest opened and his lungs scraped from acute pnuemonia. Just like Kim was, He is in a battle for his life, he has one choice but to fight.....or die. And those who are still using have a greater chance to fight the addiction and possibly avoid the pain and sufering that so many of us inflict on ourselves.

I can't say enough about being nic-free. My life is totally changed. I have enormous amounts of energy, I exercise several times a week, can jog 4 miles, can bench press 300lbs, can curl over 100lbs, have lost about 20% body fat, I have greater patients, I eat a healthy diet, I don't waste $7 a day, I look at people in the cold smoking with a sense of pitty, I am not gagging on chew at 6am, I don't have to spit wherever I go.....and the list goes on and on and on......

I AM NIC-FREE AND LUV'N IT

A BIG FAT THANK YOU TO ALL WHO MAKE THIS BOARD POSSIBLE. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Thank you Joe for your post and kind words and bringing me back to my old post which is just that much more reinforcing to me.
I quit sucking on worm dirt on 6/17/2004 6:17AM and have been Nic Free for 1Y 7M 3W 2D 16h 29m. I have spent $3,707.84 on gym equipment and other stuff. I have saved
2W 6D 23h of my life. and
I AM STILL NIC-FREE and LUV'N IT.

osabrava
osabrava

10:57 AM - Feb 12, 2006 #15

Love this thread! I thank God that Freedom has ruined my addiction too! Haven't been at the site in a few days, came back for some good old Truth. I'm so glad this resource is here for all of us...

Bernadette
498 days free

Blue1451
Blue1451

1:42 PM - Apr 19, 2006 #16

I was browsing through the older posts....found this to be very inspirational.....thought i'd bump it back to the top for the other newbies!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tracy
I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 23 hours, 38 minutes and 2 seconds (23 days). I have saved $112.72 by not smoking 191 cigarettes. I have saved 15 hours and 55 minutes of my life.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

9:04 PM - Sep 22, 2007 #17

Not to make light of those in the first stages of recovery from the active use of nicotine. the first few weeks of our journey to a life lived free can certainly be challenging. However, some perspective as to the extent of suffering possible from continued use of nicotine & maintaining this deadly addiction we all share sometimes helps us see that waht we are going through in orde to gain our freedom back is not so terrible or awful when the return on this investment can be so great.
From: kito40 - Gold (Original Message) Sent: 1/9/2003 8:44 PM
Kim's Missing Lung - the cancer has now spread to the brain through the blood.
I saw the neurosurgeon today and he has booked the brain tumour removal for Monday morning at 11 am. The tumour is 2 cm in size and is just under the skin on the right side of the brain. I will be sedated but awake during the procedure as they need to monitor my motor skills as they are removing it. He said there is no guarantee that they can get it all but they will keep removing as long as all my functions keep working.
There will be radiation sometime afterwards. It needs time to heal first and to let the swelling go down as radiation causes swelling also.
Kelly will keep you all up to date.
Kim...................10 months +..... and wishing I was going through withdrawal instead of this!

For those of you who didn't get to know Kim through her posts here at Freedom, she was one of us. It wasn't unusual to see her post to a newbie in crisis in an attempt to bring a little honesty and perspective to a struggling mind. More than once we heard her say that she wished that all she was battling was that next crave because that was the easy part.

She was only 46 and many of life's best times should have been yet to come. It would be great if Kim's horror story was rare but of the five million smoking deaths this year we're told that more than two million victims will be middle-aged. The #1 killer in almost all developed nations, our addictions should have been ruined long before finding Freedom.

Millions of words but I need only follow one simple rule ... no nicotine today! Breateh deep, hug hard, live long Freedom! John (Gold x5)
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 12:22 PM - Feb 09, 2012, edited 1 time in total.