Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home released

Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home released

31 Dec 2008, 13:57 #1

Today I'm releasing Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home, a free 2.39mb PDF e-book that attempts to document the science underlying cold turkey quitting. Feel free to help spread the word if so inclined. My sincere thanks to Joel Spitzer, Sallie Hamilton and Joseph Savastano, without whose help this couldn't of happened.
If you haven't already heard, we're delaying Freedom's move until after the New Year's rush in hopes of allowing our new host time to successfully migrate our more than 300,000 archived posts to the new site. We have our fingers crossed that it will happen any day now!
Still just one rule ... no nicotine today!
Happy New Year's Freedom!
John (Gold x9)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Jan 2009, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.

31 Dec 2008, 14:08 #2

Thanks, John. I have found your book to be immensely informative and reinforcing to the knowledge that helped me quit smoking.

01 Jan 2009, 01:07 #3

Glad you found it helpful! Here's today's press release:
Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home
New free e-book arrives just in time for New Year's quitting resolutions.
WhyQuit - Wednesday, December 31, 2008[/size]

Whether your New Year's quitting resolution is to stop smoking, end oral tobacco use or break free from the nicotine gum or lozenge, you're in luck. Packed with quitting insights, Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home is a free, 239 page, 2.1mb pdf e-book being released today.

The book was written by John R. Polito, and former 30-year heavy smoker and editor of WhyQuit, a popular free online quitting site. With more than 400 footnotes, most linked to medical journal articles, the book shares the research and science underlying the cessation method which, by far, undeniably accounts for more long-term success stories each year than all other methods combined.

"Pharmaceutical industry influence falsely portrays cold turkey quitting as nearly impossible and non-science-based," says Polito. "The assertions are insane and it's time to fight back."

WhyQuit is also home to Joel Spitzer's free e-book Never Take Another Puff, to more than 60 free video counseling lessons and to a free online support group, Freedom from Tobacco. The site sells nothing, declines donations and is staffed entirely by volunteer cessation educators.

Founded in July, 1999, current U.S. Google rankings list WhyQuit as the #1 ranked "cold turkey" quitting forum, the #1 search result among 232,000 "nicotine cessation" search results, #2 among 8.2 million "stop smoking" results and #3 among 7.4 million "quit smoking" results.
XXX
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

05 Jan 2009, 01:02 #4

"My Hero" Honey-boy! Well done John, congratulations for this so successful endeavor; what a bold undertaking indeed.

I'm so proud to be your quit sis John:

Sweet Smelling Dionne since Oct. 2000!
Last edited by Dionne (gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

05 Jan 2009, 03:48 #5

Hello Dionne! Looks like you're catching up with me! I guess we're about to see the start of decade old recoveries with Joanne going first here on January 26th. Has it been that long?????

Yes, the e-book has been a real learning experience. Still a long way to go before I'm happy with it but it's a starting point. I just finished making a home for it at WhyQuit at this link:
The file was rather large so I broke it down into Chapters for those with slower download speeds. As you known, there's a flood of new nicotine products hitting the streets. Hopefully this book will deprive the non-smoking nicotine addicts of another lame rationalization, that WhyQuit is just about quitting smoking ; )))
Still just one rule for each of us ... none today!
John (Gold x9)

06 Jan 2009, 05:32 #6

Hi-dee-ho John:
I was surprised to find I was getting teary by the time I finished reading the opening introduction. There are so many of us out there in the world full of gratitude with what we've been given by you, Joanne and Joel, plus my old pal Mrs Grumpy who also held my hand so long ago.
You know I'm not the least bit humble about my quit, rather full of pride etc. but I am humble with gratitude at what was put out by you and the others to lend an 'understanding' hand alone the way.
One of my early 'help-- emails' was answered by one of you saying "welcome Diane we've been waiting for you" and I broke down crying. That was the first time I stood up with squared shoulders and said, "I can do this."

Thanks ever so much John; plus our Joel and Joanne and the rest who kept and continues to keep it going.
Yours of course, the ever so humble "Sweet Smelling for over 8 years, Dionne!

19 Dec 2009, 15:42 #7

Whether your New Year's quitting resolution is to stop smoking, end oral tobacco use or break free from the nicotine gum or lozenge, you're in luck. Packed with quitting insights, Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home is a free, 239 page, 2.1mb pdf e-book being released today.

The book was written by John R. Polito, and former 30-year heavy smoker and editor of WhyQuit, a popular free online quitting site. With more than 400 footnotes, most linked to medical journal articles, the book shares the research and science underlying the cessation method which, by far, undeniably accounts for more long-term success stories each year than all other methods combined.

"Pharmaceutical industry influence falsely portrays cold turkey quitting as nearly impossible and non-science-based," says Polito. "The assertions are insane and it's time to fight back." WhyQuit is also home to Joel Spitzer's free e-book Never Take Another Puff, to more than 60 free video counseling lessons and to a free online support group, Freedom from Tobacco. The site sells nothing, declines donations and is staffed entirely by volunteer cessation educators.

Founded in July, 1999, current U.S. Google rankings list WhyQuit as the #1 ranked "cold turkey" quitting forum, the #1 search result among 232,000 "nicotine cessation" search results, #2 among 8.2 million "stop smoking" results and #3 among 7.4 million "quit smoking" results.