Freedom's History, Policy & Staff

Welcome to Freedom, a support group dedicated to educated cold turkey nicotine dependency recovery. Prior to applying to join, it is critical that you read: (1) The Law of Addiction (2) Our Mission Statement (3) Relapse Policy and (4) Rules.
Joel

08 Jul 2001, 01:56 #41

For Anne

Joel

03 Aug 2001, 20:14 #42

Today is an anniversary of one of our red letter days at Freedom. One year ago today MSN put Freedom up on their homepage. I think our membership doubled in one day, I don't remember for sure but I think about 600 people joined up in one day. It was pandemonium around here. We were an open board then, any one could come in, say what they like, and give any advice, good or bad. While we had a few of these people succeed, it was actually only a handful. There was so much clutter and distractions happening at the board we feel we missed a major opportunity with hundreds of people. This day more than any other taught us the importance of getting our board focused. We know that we may only get a few seconds with a given individual to reach them with who we are and what we are trying to accomplish at Freedom.

Many of our diversion policies and many of our principles in our mission statement were born from that one-day experience. That day was exhausting to our managers, we all tried to come in throughout the day and keep strong educational message coming to the top but we were overwhelmed, no matter how hard we tried we could not keep up with the influx.

The only day that was even close to this was January 3, when MSN did it again, but this time we were more ready. We made it where only members could post. We were still overwhelmed as management, over 1,000 people applied for membership in just a couple of days, but that was just an administrative nightmare, the board stayed uncluttered and people who came here to read got quality information, even if they could not post--they could still learn.

So today is an anniversary of one of those days of how we got to be who we are today. We are glad you are all here with us and hope you find our board providing you with the tools you need to be able to get on with your life as a successful ex-smoker. We have only one mission now that we put all of our focus into, and that is to make sure that each and every one of our members know that they will always stay successful as long as they never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

04 Aug 2001, 01:41 #43

August 3rd and January 3rd, I remember them well ; )) Those were wild days indeed : )) There wasn't much sleep for any of our olbies and our email boxes were filled to the brim with requests for membership. Let's hope MSN gets the bugs out of their last software revision before they try it again : ))))

Becomming the only 100% "nicotine clean" site on the internet was also a "major" milestone in Freedom's evolution. Each of us have demonstrated that we're deadly serious about taking back control of our lives, each of us were willing to read, learn and invest in ourselves, and each of us deserve at least one place on spaceship earth where nicotine has no voice!
Freedom from Nicotine !

pammers

04 Aug 2001, 13:27 #44

Incredible! I have really enjoyed reading this thread.How lucky we all are that Zep and Joanne were able to connect with Joel and come up with the only nicotine clean site on the internet. And how blessed to,to meet others so willing to give of there time.ImageImage

John (Gold)

08 Sep 2001, 19:03 #45

Happy Birthday
Last edited by John (Gold) on 23 Jun 2009, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Dionne (gold)

12 Oct 2001, 09:51 #46

I love you guys! Image Image

Joel

12 Nov 2001, 00:54 #47

Image How we got to be who we are. We are not the site for everyone--but if you are a person who wants to quit smoking, do it in the cheapest, quickest and simplest manner, and do it in the way the vast majority of long-term ex-smokers you know and the vast majority of long-term ex-smokers who you don't know for that fact initially quit (cold-turkey that is) and now your goal is to stay nicotine free forever no matter what, we are the site for you. To accomplish your goal just always remember and keep in practice your desire to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

27 Jan 2002, 21:50 #48

In Honor of Joanne's Three Year Quit Anniversary
Janurary 27, 1999 to January 27, 2001
Last edited by John (Gold) on 23 Jun 2009, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

kughes (green)

28 Jan 2002, 00:20 #49

Congratulations, Joanne on your three year quit!
May I take this space also to give great thanks to you, John and Joel, along with all the assistant managers, for all you have done here at this site, volunteering your time, energies, experience, wisdom, patience, support and kindness. Along with so many others I cannot express enough to you my gratitude for this site and the assistance I received that made my quit possible.
Not only was I able to become nicotine free, finally, but I learned and continue to learn many other things that give me power in my life. Essential to a successful quit is being honest with oneself and learning the tricks our desires play to divert our minds from what is best for ourselves. Knowledge, education is the key to mastering control again, not only in our quit..but other areas of our life. Put into practice, we can manage what we know is a better diet, exercise plan, work habits, etc. What a marvelous gift it is, to learn this. Of course quitting smoking is essential to be able to live healthy enough and long enough to enjoy the life we want to master. Hats off, to Freedom for giving us the opportunity to do this!
Very gratefully,
YQS, kughes

OBob Gold

24 Jun 2002, 16:12 #50

Here's one that hasn't seen the light of day for a while. Great reading for late-night quitsters...