Freedom's History, Policy & Staff

Welcome to Freedom, a support group dedicated to educated cold turkey nicotine dependency recovery. Prior to applying to join, it is critical that you read: (1) The Law of Addiction (2) Our Mission Statement (3) Relapse Policy and (4) Rules.

August 11th, 2000, 7:08 am #11

This needs to go to the top. I can't say how appreaciative I feel of people like all of you who can care enough to tough it out and take so much of your time and energy to help others. Thanks for helping me to have the success I feel so far in this quit. I really feel this time I will never take another puff. The support from this group is powerful!!!

Four days, 19 hours, 1 minute and 50 seconds. 86 cigarettes not smoked, saving $14.02. Life saved: 7 hours, 10 minutes.

Deb

August 11th, 2000, 1:20 pm #12

WOW! Reading all of this has been great. Actually being able to see pictures of those I've come to care about so much be- cause they were willing to reach out to a smoker who wanted to quit. Oh, how I remember the first post I recieved after my first 24 hours. It was so up lifting and encouraging. And what was funny was that the first 24 hrs was rough. I was ready to cave in. But after reading that post I knew I wasn't in this alone. Their were others here that knew and understood exactly were I was at. It gave me the strenght to go on. It wasn't to please the managers or asst, it's because they helped me to see the self esteem that I had in myself to continue. What a blessing and ex ample they've been for me. I would like to take the time to say Thank-you to each and everyone of you. Your hugs, and tough love have been great. I consider it a blessing to be a part of this big and growing family of "Freedom From Smoking". And just to let you know that you have my total support in this forum. I'm like the rest of you. I enjoy helping others but most of all I enjoy seeing the nicodemon defeated in the lives of nicotine addicts as they realize for themselves that they have a problem. For myself I never knew I was an addict. But I am. And I will " Never Smoke Again". Deb I have been Quit for: 2M 3W 23h 50m 15s. I have NOT smoked 3319, for a savings of $461.44. Life Saved: 1W 4D 12h 35m.

August 11th, 2000, 1:41 pm #13

Wow,

Thanks for the background, Zep, Joanne, and Linda. It is great to hear the stories and to know how Freedom got started. I know I am new and may not have all the right words and advice. But....receiving and sending mail to all of freedom's members has carried me (and others) through a tough addiction. Thanks for the support, and thanks for being there when we need you,Zep,Joanne, Linda, Joel, and all the members of the freedom family. By the way where is Suz, I miss her.

Nancy in Alaska

August 11th, 2000, 2:37 pm #14

I must add my thanks to everyone elses.. Its amazing how things this unfold and grow. Tears streaming down my cheeks as I read, feeling proud of total strangers, thier struggles and accomplishments are to be shouted from the roof tops.

Ann

August 11th, 2000, 10:00 pm #15

This is TERRIFIC ! Thanks Zep & Joanne for starting FREEDOM and sharing your personal information with us. Joel, your Library is the best. I need to keep on rereading it. Linda, the old one? You've got a long way to go baby!!! The rest of the staff & friends are the greatest also.

Nora

August 12th, 2000, 9:53 am #16

Wow, I am glad to see the whole history written out so clearly. Sorry I was gone the days it was buzzing. For my background I am attaching my personal home page here. I noticed the links to my library seem to be down. On the bottom of my homepage is an alternate link to the library, under the button labeled reinforcement materials. I hope this fills in any blanks of information, although I think Zep did a good job at capturing our history and more important our present and future goals.

Hang in there everyone. The way to do it is simple...Never Take Another Puff!

Joel

My homepage with current links to the library:

http://members.aol.com/joelspitz/homepage.html

11/06/2010 revision: noticed link to homepage above no longer exists. The link to the page with my personal background is http://www.joelspitzer.com/smoking/My_story.html .
Last edited by Joel on November 6th, 2010, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 15th, 2000, 12:04 am #17

Hello all . . . I noticed a few more "newbies" today and just thought I'd post to this message to get it back up top !!!

MANDATORY READING !!!!!
-robert-
One week, six days, 12 hours, 7 minutes.
Life saved: 5 hours, 35 minutes.

August 23rd, 2000, 8:06 am #18

Just had to bring this back. Too important for anyone here to miss!

Still enjoying my honey! Barry

Two weeks, two days, 19 hours, 59 minutes and 48 seconds. 302 cigarettes not smoked, saving $49.24. Life saved: 1 day, 1 hour, 10 minutes.
And proud of it!

August 23rd, 2000, 8:40 am #19

What a wonderful post. We must keep this on top so everyone gets to read it. It brought tears to my eyes as it has for othersa to.

Thank you wonderful FREE people for caring for us. It's so terrific being able to put faces to the names.

Wendy

September 8th, 2000, 7:56 pm #20

This has been a VERY enjoyable thread...and...Zep...I think that Jay's the one with all the hair! (Sorry, had to say it) Thanks to all of you for sharing your lives to help others live theirs. GJ

September 8th, 2000, 11:03 pm #21

Hello Joanne, Joel, Nancy, Zep and others:
for bringing my life back.
Bolko,
P.S. Jola quit "by herself", without Fredom support, but she loves this site as well.

October 14th, 2000, 3:24 pm #22

Hi Guys -

It's so late now that I can't possibly comment on this to the extent that I'd like to (and as you might have already observed, I do like to comment), so I will reserve that for another time. But I could not let this pass without sayng at least "Wow!" and "Thank You!"

What a great article! My impression about the structure and hx of Freedom was a lot different, including my impression of the individuals who are devoted to carrying this on. You guys are even more awesome than I originally imagined!

Thank you for this and good night!

Peace,

nomad

October 25th, 2000, 1:53 am #23

Thank you for this wonderful site Joanne, Zep, Joel... this has probably saved so many lives. Ever since I found this site a little over a week ago, I have been totally addicted (better that than nicotine, huh?) But I have wondered who was doing this and why, and now I really know who to thank.

October 26th, 2000, 2:34 am #24

This is wonderful, is this history also available thru a link on the site? I realize this thread is getting a bit long but wanted it on top for new joiners to read! Thank you Zep, Joanna, Joel and assistants for your support and hard work on this site!
Mona

October 30th, 2000, 1:58 am #25

Joel, that is great. Maybe we could all recommend this site to our Doctor's. It could make a tremendous difference.
Thanks again, Zep, for starting this thread.
Nora

January 3rd, 2001, 12:53 am #26

Thanks guys - Zep is there a link to this history on your website? - sorry I'm still figuring out how it all works - but this history seems really important! Of course it makes so much sense now -like the penny has just dropped - If I'm a nicotine addict then the last thing I need is nicotine in my system! THANK YOU FOR THE COLD TURKEY CONCEPT Maz

January 6th, 2001, 7:50 pm #27

Since we have so many new members over the past week, thought I would bring this up to give some background to who we all are and how we got to where we are today. As you have seen, Freedom evolved over time. As we got more and more experience, we started to get a better sense of how to help people in a virtual world. We had a few growth spurts with growing pains.

First when we went to an exclusive cold turkey site, then when we went to a private site where membership applications were required. Both moves caused many people to at first be angered because we were trying to set up a more exclusive membership. But we were not trying to be elitists, looking for richer, stronger, smarter, better, or not even nicer people. We were not trying to set up a site that was even appealing to one country or continent.

We were trying to establish a site that disseminated real concrete quit information and support that we saw from ongoing experience was working to help more people quit. Not necessary the largest number of people, there are bigger sites with more people. But we were trying to set up a site that had a higher percentage of people who joined actually succeed. We wanted the absolute maximum percentage of people to succeed at quitting as possible. We truly see this as a fight for health and a fight for very life.

There are two aspects of our site that we believe help us accomplish this goal. First, the cold turkey methodology, which minimizes the time period that people experience physiological withdrawal. While mass media advertising makes it look like other methods are superior, if one looks in their real world of family, friends, coworkers and acquaintances they will almost always find that the long-term quitters (one year plus) they encountered through their lives the vast majority of the times had quit cold turkey.

The second factor that makes us unique and controversial in many circles is our relapse prevention policy. The one that Zep labeled as tough love policy in an earlier post today. Most professional literature ever produced on smoking cessation has advice in it with a variation of the statement, "Don't let a slip put you back to smoking." We feel that comment makes as much sense as telling an alcoholic not to let a drink put you back to drinking," or a heroin addict, "don't let a little injection put you back to using," or for a more graphic depiction, "don't let unprotected sex with a HIV infected individual or a person with other kinds of sexually transmitted disease let you get pregnant or infected."

These messages are ridiculous. The message should not be don't let these transgressions follow their natural tendency to result in major consequences, the message needs to be don't allow yourself to do these things because natural consequences are likely going to happen. In other words instead of saying "don't let a slip put you back to using," the message needs to be, "DON'T SLIP!" There is no slipping, or cheating, or just, or puff, or accident, or mistake. These words need to be thrown out of your vocabulary when used in conjunction toward smoking or any drug addiction. They all mean RELAPSE!

While the above paragraph may anger many, we believe that it is the real make or break point of understanding that is going to make this quit the last quit any of you will ever have to experience. It all translates to what runs through every piece of material I have produced in the last 30 years of working with people quitting. First in face to face live encounters, and now in the virtual world setting here at Freedom. If you want to quit smoking and stay nicotine free over the duration of your life, always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

February 9th, 2001, 10:22 am #28

My, aren't the staff busy little bees!!!!! Glad I found this place--this thread is veryyyyy interesting--as are most of the manager posts---glad you all got it in your head to start this place---I quit so many times before and this is the first time I KNOW I will make it---got the determination of knowing what Nic was doing to me and my life---I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!!! Education about my addiction makes all the difference in the world!!!

February 9th, 2001, 10:46 am #29

ZEP, JOEL, and JoANNE!!!
YOU are the most wonderful people on earth!! ((hmmm..okok... maybe some may have a difference of opinion ...**smile**))
I happened across this site by mistake??? Not sure..... I saw it on the side of my msc. homepage... "Quit Smoking" ..I thought... "heck, why not check this out..." I did .. I wrote .. I got a reply from John... we exchanged emails... I found my way to Freedom... Life has never been so strange... I quit on the 2nd of January but was not sure I would be able to really **go all the way...** (( hmmm...**snicker**))
here it is over a month... I am **eternally** grateful.... thank you!!! Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!
may the gods and godesses shine down on you, ALL, and make your world full of sunshine and love!!!
Pamela
One month, six days, 14 hours, 26 minutes and 43 seconds. 940 cigarettes not smoked, saving $213.86. Life saved: 3 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes.

February 9th, 2001, 9:36 pm #30

DITTO NYPAM. Thanks Freedom/WhyQuit.com Founders you're the greatest. I too am now "addicted" to this site. Much better than smoking!

February 10th, 2001, 1:15 am #31

As they said in the movie...if you build it they will come! I'm at five days completely nicotine free and the information found here at this site has been just amazinly helpful. I would never have made it through day one and especially day two except for the commitment I made when joining to remain completely nicotine free for seven days. Thanks for the inside look into how this site came into being and has developed and progessed to what we find freely given to us all here. No more "soap boxes" will be needed...

February 16th, 2001, 8:42 pm #32

This string gives a good history of how Freedom got to where we are today. We are an ever changing and growing board, both in number of members as well as how we operate. With so many new people coming in over the last few months we thought it would be a good time for you to see who we are and how we got here. We are currenly going to make some other procedural changes here, this post will give a good overview of how these policies are acted on and give some past perspective of how we do survive and flourish during times of change.

February 16th, 2001, 10:47 pm #33

very interesting. I have been here just over a year. It is interesting to note the differences between then and now. You've come a long way baby. No pun intended lol

Lauren

April 4th, 2001, 1:19 pm #34

Dear Joanne, Joel, and Zep;
Thank you for the ongoing effort that each of you make to these two companion sites, whyquit.com and Freedom From Tobacco.
But also, thank you for your commitment to your truth when surrounded by bad science, ill-informed
traditional medicine run amok with pharmaceutical t.v. ads passing for reality. You measured truth with results, not hype. You changed as the sites grew to keep the integrity of your vision.
Lastly, thank you for your dipolmacy and gentleness towards each other that ensured that the three of you could work together to create a site that was here for me to learn how to educate myself to never take another puff.
Victoria.

April 4th, 2001, 3:26 pm #35

Words are not enough for the gratitude felt towards all of you. Thank You very much for this site :Joel , Joanne and Zep.

Three months, four days, 20 hours, 38 minutes and 47 seconds. 1328 cigarettes not smoked, saving $265.61. Life saved: 4 days, 14 hours, 40 minutes.