*Freedom's Fabulous Forty year plus fighters

Eileen D (GOLD)

01 Jun 2002, 23:13 #41

I too started smoking when it was so cool to do, and to this day that is my worst junkie thought. it's almost like I am not myself without the cig in my hand. I never realized how it controlled so much of my life.It was the first thing I did in the morning and the last thing at night. like all addicts I always said that I could quit whenever I wanted to and I still really believe that .All my other quits failed because my heart wasn't in it and I didn't want to quit. This time I made up my mind to do it and with the help of everyone at freedom I did it. I started smoking when I was 15 and I quit on May 1st 2002 ------- I turned 56 on May 13th 2002

Reasons

06 Jun 2002, 22:57 #42

Congratulations on your quit! I just passed my one -year mark and am feeling so good! I know that you still have cigarette thoughts, but after a year, the only cigarette thoughts I have are that I am soo glad I quit. Hang in there and everyday will be better and you will be sooo very proud of yourself. Freedom is the key word here. Freedom is wonderful!

John (Gold)

10 Jul 2002, 19:02 #43

With so many younger members still in their 20's arriving here at Freedom, it can be easy for them to use the fact that many longer term smokers, such as those who've posted to this wonderful thread, continued smoking and eventually broke free. It's true, no doubt about it but a tremendous price is paid for each year of bondage.
The damage, decay, and destruction inflicted upon the human by the Image4,000+ chemicals present in each burning cigarette is gradual yet continuous. Although we can't see the carbon monoxide destroying the lining of every blood vessel in the human body nor nicotine causing the release of stored facts, it happens a bit more with each puff.
Yesterday Kris71780 posted about a study in which physicians found that "the broken legs of cigarette smokers took an average of 276 days to heal while the non-smokers' legs took 146 days." I found it hard to believe so I did my own search and apparently it's true.
http://www3.utsouthwestern.edu/library/ ... okbone.htm
That's 130 days difference in healing time. Why? Think about oxygen, blood supply and a vascoconstrictor called nicotine. Other studies show that vascular damage starts very early in a smoker's life. Circulatory disease kills far more smokers than lung cancer. How clogged are your young arteries?

Smoking and Circulation

Medical Implications of Smoking

I can't quit or I won't quit.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 11 Mar 2009, 23:21, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

26 Jul 2002, 06:53 #44

Image For Lilac - you'll need to to use left and right controls at the top or Image bottom of the page to move back through the posts, as there are some wonderful stories by lots of fantastic graduates who have a few less years than 55 but not too many! Celebrate each day of freedom and healing as a full and complete victory all on its own! Today is doable!

Lilac (Bronze)

29 Jul 2002, 23:56 #45

Well, crum, I posted my "story" this morning and then noticed at the last minute I had typed an extra i in quit. Of all words to misspell So I hit cancel and the posting disappeared, never to reemerge. I hope by posting again the orginal post isn't residing someplace so I have made identical posts. Top off my troubles for the day, I answered a very interesting posting which I completely misinterpreted due to not seeing clearly the most important word which was CHEW. I saw chew as CHOW and responded in kind. I am not going to post again for a very long time. My ego doesn't need it----wow! Here is the smoking history of a 55 year smoker--because I feel I more or less promised to write it
I really have nothing to add to the stories other long time smokers have related. They have told the smokers' tale much more vividly than I can tell it. I also have trouble remembering how it came about that I loved smoking from the start or what really, in the end, led me to quit I believe I started to smoke out of curiosity. I had been taught that it was vulgar for a woman to smoke. This was in the forties in a small town. When I affiliated as a student nurse in a large hospital in a city, I had my first cigarette. From then on cigarettes and I were inseparable. We went through life together, never apart for a day. I was a perfect slave. And so it continued until three weeks and three days ago. I have a very close and loving family who , for too long, have been deeply concerned about my smoking. I finally really made myself look at their concerned faces and listened to their concerned voices and I said to myself, "This is nuts! Why am I still doing this to people who love me?" And that is that. I would take back the years I caused them to worry but you can't live backwards. All I can do now is join them in our mutual delight that I have FINALLY quit. And it hasn't been that bad. Most amazingly it hasn't. Have been Helped a great deal by this forum.
A thought or two for unconvinced smokers.: Smoking makes your skin wrinkle very early on, especially around the mouth which causes lipstick to bleed.
Smoking helps bring early onset of brittle bones. Fractured hips, ribs,and spine are very, very painful.
Smoking is bad for your teeth. You will hate dentures. They may look good if you are lucky, but they will always feel foreign in your nouth. And you don't have to be old for the damage to be done.
I always knew that, but I let it happen anyway. However, on the positive side--after only three weeks or so of being nicotine and tar free, I walk with a springy step, I breathe easily and deeply, and I feel strong and able to tackle anythng. And I no longer grieve (often) for the loss of my treacherous little friends. Lilac 3weeks 3 days Quit 55 yr. smoker

Hillbilly(Gold)

30 Jul 2002, 00:24 #46

Lilac, it's okay. We're all family here and if you misspell a word we're going to overlook it. Just keep posting when you want to and especially when you need to.

We'll still love you even if you don't speel everything just rright. :-) The important thing is to keep your quit!!!

Dave
I have chosen not to smoke, nor chew nor go with the girls that do for 3 Months 1 Week 4 Days 11 Hours 34 Minutes 37 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 3586. Money saved: $493.20.

CdnpheonixGold

15 Aug 2002, 02:46 #47

Hello all you Fabulous Forty yr+ Freedom Fighters!!!

I'm not one of you, but this is such a wonderful thread and soooo inspirational I thought it needed to come up! Maybe some newbies have stories to add!

YQS
C
3W 16h 11m 25s (-650 cigarettes)

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

16 Sep 2002, 02:00 #48

Earlier, I read a post about "people of age" and while I'm not sure what it was about or it's origins, I do know one thing for sure...

It makes NO difference how old we are, how long we smoked, or what physical problems we might be suffering, there is nothing in the world as wonderful, especially for us "older quitters" than to have finally realized we can live our lives without nicotine. The hardest thing, I believe, for us "people of age" (thank you Lilac, I never thought I would love that term, but I do), is just getting started. We are fortunate, here at Freedom to have found Joel and to have the tools to teach us about our addiction. Once we begin utilizing those tools, and reading, and learning, and yes, communicating with others going through this with us, we realize that quitting is not the horrible, dreaded act that we thought it would be.

Some people, usually long time smokers afraid to try, will say that it is more difficult for older quitters to quit , but believe it or not, if you look back at these posts, it is not difficult to quit, It may be a little scary at first, but in actuality, the act of quitting has been a lot easier than most of us thought it would be. What a relief to finally be able to say "I quit"! There is absolutely no better, no more wonderful, no more exhilarating and certainly, no more self satisfying feeling anywhere in the whole world to know that we NEVER again have to take another puff.

My husband and I are both aging, grateful, and very happy ex smokers,
Linda
after 41 years of smoking, free for 2 years 9 months

Tellmeemore Silver

25 Sep 2002, 10:22 #49

Back in 1952 I sneeked cigrette 's from my dad's drawer. so did my sister, we went to the show and sat in the balcony and puffed away, (it was ok at that time) well one day my Dad ask my mom what was happening to all his cigrettes.,they were going fast,he had a carton now there were only a few packs left, well my sister and I decided to confess not knowing what would happen to us, to our surpiise Dad said he was glad that we smoked his cigretts rather than takeing cigaretts from strangers because so much "dope"was being used. and someone might give us some without us knowing it. so he said if we must smoke he would buy them for usImagelittle did we know at that time what cigrettes did, Ive tried many times to quit but have never had a site like this to communacate with, it makes all the difference in quiting and smoking. I thank after alot of prayers god had a lot to do with me finding this site, the first day I quit I needed help and did'nt know where to go , so I used keyword stop smoke and guess what came up. I did'nt know this site even excisted . I ve had support before but not like this, it really does work, Iam proof, I havent smoken in 7 days and hardley no withdrawal at all. amazing.

Dragonfly (bronzed)

07 Dec 2002, 12:28 #50

Hi, I am Stephanie and I am a smokaholic! I have been Nicotine free for: 2W 5D 14h. I have NOT smoked 274, for a savings of $41.13. Life Saved: 22h 50m.
My mother is also a smokaholic. She will be 70 years old in February, but she is quite the spring chicken. She has smoked for around 50 years. She does have a cough but tells me that the doctor listened to her chest and her lungs are "clear."

I have a terrible fear!!!!

My mother told me that she is afraid that if she quits smoking now, the tar will clear from her lungs, leaving them unprotected and all of those years of smoking will then take their toll. I know that is silly. However, my fear is that if she quits smoking now, then in the near future we will learn she has lung cancer and she will die very soon. I am only 35 and feel that I have stopped the smoking in time. But, 50 years of smoking must have done some serious damage to my mother's internal organs. It seems that a number of people I know have had family members quit smoking, only to find out they have cancer and die within a year. I know the literature all says it's never to late to quit. So.. Please give me a link to an article that will help me come to my senses. I think if I give her a little push, she could quit too (but I'm scared).

Thanks!