*Freedom's Fabulous Forty year plus fighters

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

18 Jun 2001, 12:36 #31

((((Melissa)))

what you just did was good....you got a heap of feelings off your chest and that has a way of working miracles.

don't let your children see you suffer the way you watched your parents and family suffer. they sound as if they are pretty much from the same generation I came from when smoking was considered the norm, not the exception. we smoked because we thought we liked it and and kept on doing it because we did not know how to stop. little did we know that we were addicts addicted to the deadliest substance there is, and like most people, we did not know how to break that addiction until we found Freedom and the wonderful information here. Knowledge is power and the more we know about our addiction and it's hold on us, the easier it is to defeat it.

keep on rambling sweetheart, and keep on healing!
hugs, Linda
1yr, 5+months

John (Gold)

08 Sep 2001, 20:48 #32

This is the thread that hopefully makes our 30 to 40 year new quitters tell themselves that "knowledge," patience, attitude, and one nicotine free day at a time, may just be the keys to meeting a wonderful new you!

John (Gold)

27 Oct 2001, 20:43 #33

From Wendy:
HI!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to respond to you as YES isn't it ridiculous,,the only DRUGS that are illegal are the semi-harmless ones,the only ones in the USA that are legal are the REAL KILLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AS of May 11, 2001 I smoked gpc light 100s,they were cheaper ,generic....My 14 year old son told me GPC stands for GOVERNMENT CONTROL POPULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SOME TRUTH IN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Wendy, I reposted your post from the deleted spot at message 41 above so that I could delete a few hundred of the !!!!!!!!! Image If we string too many characters together without any spaces between them then it causes the entire page to widen and makes it so that all reading the thread have to use their scroll right or left bar to read each line. I've done it myself, it's no big deal, but I did want you to know why I'd moved your post. Hugs, John Image)

SonKist501(GREEN x2)

31 Dec 2001, 03:00 #34

Hi,
Just wanted to put in my two cents worth.
I was born into a family that smoked. I had 2 grandma's that dipped snuff instead of smoking.

I tried cigarettes on and off all my life. Started smoking full time at the age of 17. My mom and Dad both smoked, and it was just so cool, I was a rebel that didn't need a cause!! All the cool kids at school smoked!
Of course I married a man that smoked. He dropped over of a massive coronary 10 years ago due to his 5 pack a day addiction. I heard the doctors tell him years before, "You don't have time to taper off cigarettes, you have to quit today or you are a dead man".

I raised 2 children and of course they smoke. My daughter just quit a few months ago.

I feel as tho this addiction has taken so much from me, and after 38 years, I will not give it any more. I only wish I had done it years before.NEVER ANOTHER PUFF, NEVER!
So newbies and lurkers, you can do it!! I am living proof its doable and you will be so happy you did. Never take another puff!! Betty
FREE 1 month, 5 days, cigs not smoked 2005, $saved 150.38

janetd (GOLD)

02 Jan 2002, 07:45 #35

I loved this post, and just wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences with me.

YQS, JanetImage

I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 2 Weeks 1 Day 11 Hours 1 Minute 48 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 909. Money saved: $227.30.

John (Gold)

24 Jan 2002, 10:16 #36

Many of Freedom's 40+ Year Quitters Club Members have written wonderful entries in this thread and if you have never taken the time to go back though them, please do! Their tremendous number of years spent in bondage bred some pretty powerful insights!

John (Gold)

12 Mar 2002, 20:49 #37

Be Sure and Read the Early Posts to This Thread!
ImageFirst Image Previous Next ImageLastImage
When viewing large threads like this one, which currently has over 50 messages posted to it, it's important to keep in mind that each page of the thread holds just 15 messages. When the 16th message is posted to any new thread, a new page is started. This thread has 4 different pages and after reading or scrolling to the bottom of each page you must turn the page 3 times in order to read all the member posts. The early posts following Linda's wonderful post are very inspiring! Pages are turned by using the following commands located at both the top and bottom of each thread page.
ImageFirst Image Previous Next ImageLastImage

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

31 Mar 2002, 01:42 #38

Imagepssst.....a little birdie told me again that Freedom has lots of new and wonderful quitters, who like me, smoked for decades and began when smoking was the "in" thing. Please add your stories. Forty is an arbitrary number...but we would love to hear from those of you who began smoking when it was glamorized and was allowed everywhere including hospitals and doctors' offices.
Linda
after 41 years of smoking, 2 years, 3 months, free
Last edited by GrumpyOMrsS (Gold) on 11 Mar 2009, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

DebD (GOLD)

31 Mar 2002, 13:53 #39

I started smoked on the sly at the age of 12, that was at least 2 sickarettes/day and started smoking full time at 18, am 52 now. Sickarettes were 25 cents/pack from the machines. I remember saying I was going to quit when they went to 35 cents. But being the true blue addict that I was I paid the 35 cents, then 75, and every increase til now! I have been smoke free 10 days,11 hrs,57 min. and very proud! I am one of those that have no ill-effects at present but what the future holds, time will tell. Here's to remaining smoke free and enjoyng it!DebD

mirigirl (silver)

01 Jun 2002, 22:36 #40

For Lil Image its never too late Image your quit sis mirigirl