*Freedom's Fabulous Forty year plus fighters

Chet Kast (Gold)

22 Mar 2001, 04:18 #21

In 1955, amongst other things, it was simply really cool to smoke. Especially growing up in the streets of Brooklyn, NY trying to be a big guy and accepted in the crowd at your local candy store. As one of Joel's writings said, everyone smoked - my parents, my family doctor, my friends, dentist, Elvis, everyone. Why worry? Ha!

Chet

I have Quit for: 1M 14h 16m 4s. I have NOT smoked 789 cigs, for a savings of $118.48. Life Saved: 2D 17h 45m.
Last edited by Chet Kast (Gold) on 09 Jul 2009, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

bonnie123(silver)

23 Mar 2001, 08:07 #22

i started smoking at the age of 14 about 43 years ago. before many years went by i was smoking 3 1/2 packs a day. tried to quit many times thru the years all of them ending in failure. but now for the 1st time i have found hope here at freedom. thanks all. hugs, bonnie

Two weeks, 6 hours, 21 minutes and 21 seconds. 998 cigarettes not smoked, saving $112.33. Life saved: 3 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes.

Chuckie

30 Mar 2001, 15:17 #23

Smoked for 35 years, have been smoke -free for two weeks.
All the stories and anecdotes in this thread about smoking in the 50's, 60's and even 70's may sound incredible to us in this day and age. However, I lived in Europe (Belgium, Spain and Greece) for eight years up until two years ago and I can tell you doctors and nurses do smoke in some hospitals, smoking is permitted in doctors' waiting rooms, some movie theaters, libraries, etc. The smoking section at most restaurants is most of the restaurant (non-smokers are seated at the little corner table by the kitchen). Non-smoking signs at some airports are mainly for decorative purposes, since most smokers ignore them and most non-smokers usually wouldn't confront a smoker with such petty technicality (a sign). Funny thing is that even airport security personnel smoke inside some airports. Young teens can buy lose cigarettes almost anywhere. Joe Camel is really big (literally), and is seen in full 3D glory on tens of stratigically located billboards throughtout major cities. For the most part, the police is not familiar with penalties associated with smoking in non-smoking public places. Fact is that in some countries penalties are not enforced at all, or are not even on the books.
I hope you undersatnd that I'm not trying to critisize any country or anybody. Heck, when I lived there I loved it since I was a heavy smoker. I could smoke anywhere I wanted, anytime I wanted and I did.
Things are changing though. And some countries like England are even tougher with smokers than even here at home.

Stan (Gold)

31 Mar 2001, 04:03 #24

I also sucked on those nasty sickerettes for over 40 years and for about 35 of those years knowing full well that there was serious health risks involved. I started smoking at about 15 to be one of the "cool" guys. Had to work hard at getting addicted (dizzyness, coughing etc.) but by golly I was not to be denied. By the time I was 16 I could inhale with the best of them and even blow smoke out my nostrils and I know that impressed everyone, particularly the girls. Could roll up a pack of Lucky"s in my t-shirt also, ala James Dean. Oh, I was just so "cool". As a pilot in Vietnam I can remember taking off my oxygen mask shutting off the the oxygen (always safety first) and having a sickerette. At about 30,000 ft., not only hard to light but hard to keep lit. **** like crazy and the fire nearly comes back in your mouth. As I look back that was really smart.....and now I think of my Grandparents who I just adored. Neither of them ever smoked but I would go in there and smoke like a chimney. Of course I was not alone, but I now know how that must have smelled to them. It was a dirty rotten stinky job and I'm glad it's over and now I have been smokeless in Dallas for: Six months, one day, 17 hours, 28 minutes and 27 seconds. 7309 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,005.23. Life saved: 3 weeks, 4 days, 9 hours,
Last edited by Stan (Gold) on 09 Jul 2009, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

Mari (GOLD)

31 Mar 2001, 06:01 #25

Stan, (fellow Texan) I know you didn't mean for it to be funny, but at 30,000 feet???!!! My cartoon mind just went wind with that mental picture!! Image You're much "cooler" now. In fact in today's jargon you'd be called "kewl", I think that's spelled right. Hugs, Mari Image

R b rt

21 Apr 2001, 20:56 #26

I'm still hanging around ...
8 months
&
20 days

Patticake (Gold)

22 Apr 2001, 05:48 #27

Once upon a time in my youth prior to starting smoking I can remember watching other people smoke. Seemed everyone was doing it. Didn't know smokers lives were going up in smoke, didn't realize some of them would die from smoke related illnesses, didn't even know it was an addiction. Perhaps I had my head stuck in the sand, I just don't know. Even when I started hearing reports about smoking related diseases I can remember thinking, "well if smoking is that bad surely it will become illegal". Well, what can I say? Antonia. Robert it makes me happy to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hal(Gold)

03 May 2001, 03:06 #28

HI ZEP, HOW DID YOU KNOW I WOULD BE DROPPING BY TODAY. AFTER SMOKING FOR 54 YEARS, I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT I HAVE BEEN SMOKE FREE FOR:Five months, four days, 8 minutes and 25 seconds. 6160 cigarettes not smoked, saving $774.82. Life saved: 3 weeks, 9 hours, 20 minutes.
Hal
Last edited by Hal(Gold) on 09 Jul 2009, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.

Robert2(Bronze)

18 Jun 2001, 08:01 #29

Thanks for all the sharing. Rang a lot bells with me. James Dean? But ofcourse! It was just part of me, I never saw Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin without a cigarette, did you? Forty one years and enough is enough is enough! Three weeks and two days.
With Love,
Robert2

Toast (GOLD )

18 Jun 2001, 11:17 #30

Hey, ya know I didn't smoke for 40+ years - only 20 - but I know folks who did! My grandfather - the one who died from a series of debilitating strokes - smoked from childhood til he was in his 70s. He quit cold turkey after his first stroke. Lucky Strikes. Ha. I remember he had cartons all over - in the car, by his sofa, etc. He grew up raising tobacco, as did my mother, his daughter. I still remember the sweet, oily, tobacco-y smell of the curing barn on their farm ... His wife never smoked, but had suffered TB in the 30s and ended up dying from COPD. No doubt, 60 yrs of living w/a smoker didn't help. My mother smoked from teen years til her death at 60 from an aneurysm. She had a habit of making sure she had a pack stationed where ever she tended to sit a spell. It was her Silva Thins I first snuck, via the popular unsealing the bottom of the pack method. My dad smoked from teen years all the way thru his year and a half of terminal cancer, chemo, radiation and until his death at 49. I remember visiting him in the hospital after one or another exploratory surgery and finding him sitting in bed smoking. They had smoking & non-smoking hospital rooms back then. I remember the **** we raised when the same hospital made us start smoking outside. He smoked regular Camels, giving me my first puff at age 4, no doubt hoping to make me sick & make an impression. His mother died of lung cancer, but never smoked. Both his brothers died from cancer too, one lung, one skin. His father from a heart attack.

As a young child, I remember begging, pleading and lecturing my parents about smoking. I remember the long car rides with them smoking & me carsick. It seemed so obvious to me that they were killing themselves with the **** things. But at such a young age in understanding, little did I know about the power of addiction, even in the face of strong desire to quit. So, by the time I was 14 or so, my father still newly dead, and me feeling like I didn't do something or other enough to make him stop before it killed him, I decided I'd "show them." I know now that it wasn't my job to make him stop, wasn't my fault he died, but nothing like youth and the hormones of puberty to make the world seem so black & white. I started smoking when I was out with my friends. I told myself it was in part to have something to do while they were getting stoned, which I wasn't much for. I see now that I was doing it too in a desperate act to get attention, to get confirmation that this was wrong behavior, and also hoping someone would show they cared enough to beg me to stop. Man, teen years are hard, no?? Such a martyr. I could buy 2 packs for $1. What a grown up! I remember the day I finally told my mother I smoked (how did she not notice??), we ended up at the drug store buying me a carton. Her advice, and I quote: "You know the dangers." I look back now and see that my mother had lived so long with her addiction, her hopelessness with it, that she couldn't see anymore that I might not yet be so hopeless. My parents were of the generation where it was sophisticated to smoke - smokers made their own choices! You learned to hold your liquor and smoke. Alas ....

So anyway, sorry to ramble on. Thanks for being there! I'm not craving, just remembering ...
:) Melissa

3 Weeks 5 Days 9 Minutes 1 Second ago I decided to express how much I care about myself by putting down cigarettes. Since then, I have not smoked a potential 520 cigarettes, at a savings of $70.22.