*Freedom's Fabulous Forty year plus fighters

LenaGruber

18 Mar 2011, 04:38 #141

Would you believe, teachers in elementary grades smoked in the teachers lounge, college professors smoked in classrooms along with students, When I went to highschool there was a smoking area for students across the parking lot, they built us a nice little shelter there. Any kid could buy cigarettes with a note from mom or dad. In nursing school and early days at the hospital we smoked at the nurses station and all patients could smoke in their rooms along with their visitors.  Remember "I'd walk a mile for a camel"  and "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" most frequent billboards and TV comercials were cigarettes. Then came " Cigarettes may be hazardous to your health" that was the the surgeon generals warning. 1963 I think, I remember reading it on the package of cigarettes i'd snuck from my mom's carton. I was ten. It seemed like everybody smoked and it was considered the cool thing to do, Remember James Dean, he always had his cigarettes rolled up in his tee shirt sleeve, he was "dreamy" It was media brainwashing at it's best. I am thankful that my grandchildren are getting a more honest picture and pray they never start smoking. By the time you get to be my age, (57) and smoked most of your life, chances are you've watched one or more your family or friends die from a smoking caused disease, or there is a good possibility you have yourself  been victim of a smoking related disease or disorder, you will start to belive that cigarettes may be hazardous to your health, YA THINK!. The best thing to do of course is never start smking, the next best thing is never take another puff.

Bev022811

23 Mar 2011, 15:45 #142

This is a great thread, especially for us newbies to read! Thanks to everyone that post here!  Well here is my story!

I began experimenting with smoking when I was probably 12. A friend would steal cigs from her father and we would go to the barn and smoke, even though it made us cough and dizzy we were learning to be cool. Then by age 14 I had a new neighbor, she was 18 and newly married. Well me and my older sister became good friends with her and she would give us cigarettes. My sister even put one out in her hand once when she almost got caught smoking by our Mom.  Our Dad smoked 3 packs a day, so we would sneak them from him as well.  Then the summer I was 15 we took a family trip to SC to see my oldest brother in the Navy,well we were about 3 hours into the trip and my sis and I were dying for a cig, my mom knew this and she told my Dad that he may as well go ahead a give us one before we went into a nicotine fit!!  Well that was just dandy,, no more hiding and dad gave us cigarettes! Can you believe it!  That is how naive our parents were! They never knew they had just given us permission to slowly kill ourselves..I was even in the hospital once for 3 weeks for chronic bronchitis at age 16 and I smoked in my hospital room!  You could truly smoke ANYWHERE in those days...
I haved tried to quit over the years, the first time was cold turkey, I was 21.  I quit for 2 whole years, then a divorce came along and I started smoking again to fit in at all the bars! That was in 1980..then I quit using zyban, then chantix, I was always looking for that magic pill.  Each one of those quits would end when I stopped taking the meds. there were always side effects to the meds and I always went back to my beloved cigarettes. 
3 years ago my sister was diagnosed with PAD, periphial artery disease, caused from smoking.  She was and still is unfortuately a very heavy smoker. I was a pack a day and she is 2-3 packs. She went through 3 surgeries that almost took her away from us...it took her an entire year to get back on her feet, but she still smokes! What I witnessed her go through has bothered me tremendously, and my dad has had quadruple by pass, has diabetes, COPD, CHF and is on oxygen 24/7. He quit smoking at age 49, he is now 77.  He had a sister to die at age 45 and a brother at age 57, both from smoking related illness.  So yeah, for me quitting was my only option. 
So this is why I am so grateful for Freedom and for Joel and John.  Having found this website has made my quit possible!  I know that this time it is for good because it is backed by all the knowledge and support I could ever ask for.  Thanks to all that are here, I have come home!   Image

Bev
Free and Healing since February 27, 2011

NoNic4Neal

29 Mar 2011, 18:11 #143

Thanks Jim H for bringing up this old thread. I too am a not so proud member of the forty year plus club. I was the youngest of 4 kids so I started at a very early age. I started experimenting at 10, and was inhaling like an adult by 11. I thought it made me look older and cool. Now after 42 years I am 53. I have tried quitting many many times, but my Junky mind would always come up with some creative relapse excuse. Now thanks to Why Quit and Freedom I am really learning the error in my ways. I have been nicotine free for 79 days. I've hungrily hoarded an awful lot of knowledge in this short time. My father always said if you want to be good at something, imitate the people who are best at it. I come on this site daily and imitate the successful long term quitters. I live one day at a time and congratulate myself at the end of each day, I never take another puff, I keep all the nicotine on the outside, I live on the right side of the bars, and I watch my life get better and better. These are not just words, but words to live by. I'm enjoying finally living my life the way I was meant to. I'm enjoying my journey back home and trying to find that lost little eleven year old boy. YQB Neal - No nicotine since 1/9/11.

mash

12 Jun 2011, 00:08 #144

Iv smoked for just over 40 yrs thats a shock to see it in writing, i started abot 10 yrs old loved seeing the clouds of blue smoke. by age 15 i was properly hooked and wanted tostop but couldnt. A work colleague told me hed quit and felt great[i always felt dreadful like a sick child, which i was]he said the 1st day was the hardest and then it got easy. i couldnt even manage 3 hrs so gave up that idea deciding it was just too hard .a yr ago i stopped for 1 day and i was over the moon i could not beleive how fantastic and liberated i felt. of course i celebrated with a smoke and i was plunged into a foul depression which i'd always been in but didnt know it. im now on my 4th attempt at recovery two of which were for 6and 4 months and this time cold turkey for 13 days. iv been wanting to stop since i started and now i dont ever want to be its idiot addict again, no one told me all those yrs ago what freedom felt like. it is the most awesome experience i wish id got it sooner my life would have been so different..
grateful.Mashx

time4me

12 Jun 2011, 00:49 #145

Now that I have 3 months of freedom under my belt I think it's time for me to post as one of the "fabulous forty year plus fighters".  I started at 14, I am 55 now.  I'm not an idiot - I have known for many, many years how destructive smoking was.  What I didn't ever really believe was that bad things could happen to me and those I love - not just to other people.  I spent 40 years telling myself  "I'll quit in time - I'm not in too bad of shape yet".  The thing that finally made a believer out of me was having my best friend (my best 40+ year smoker friend) die unexpectly from a smoking related illness that hadn't even been diagnosed.  She was 55.  She ran out of time and she never even knew it.  That's when I truly began to understand that smoking was going to kill me also - maybe not as quickly as it did her, but it was going to.  I came to Why Quit and began to learn about my addiction.  I began to believe that I really could quit.  And guess what - it wasn't that hard.  Even after all those years it wasn't that hard.  Now, three months later, I have an occasional want for a cigarette - I can't even call it a crave anymore, just a thought.  But there is no way, no how, that I am ever going to take another puff, and I'm good with that, I know I never will.  If I could do this anyone can do this.  Really, I promise.
Stella - I have stopped nicotine for 3 months, 4 days, 21 hours, 19 minutes and 3 seconds. I've not smoked 1938 cigarettes, and saved $583.65.

racoon99

16 Aug 2012, 22:31 #146

I'm a newby with 40+ years of smoking.  Your post is honest and speaks to me.  Thanks.

Q the dancer

20 Jul 2013, 12:17 #147

For 45 years I was a smoker. Started at age 14, while living in Winston-Salem, where it was impossible to get away from it!Image Yeah, smoking was cool in those days, and I really didn't notice what it was doing to my health (and I was a dancer!) until about two years ago. Well, first I put it down to the aging process, and for all I know that may even be the greater part of it, but I was getting short of breath, lacking energy, etc. I had started expanding my teaching into coaching, and one day I just couldn't bear the discrepancy anymore. I mean, here I was, telling people about their great personal power, encouraging them to take their lives into their own hands, and after a session, lighting up a cigarette!

If there were ever a time for "Physician, heal thyself", then this was it! I was pretty scared to take the plunge, but on May 7th, 2013, I did. And I love it!  I love not poisoning myself; I love not tying up so much of my energy in denying my addiction; I love encouraging people. This experience is uplifting and humbling at the same time. Humbling because I can see that no matter how smart I thought I was, I was blinding myself to the fact that I was slowly but surely killing myself. And uplifting because I now understand that freedom is a choice.

When I think about all of us who are choosing freedom day by day, I feel so happy I could dance!

Love,
Q