*Freedom's Fabulous Forty year plus fighters

John (Gold)

24 Jan 2001, 05:27 #11

Wow! Does this bring back childhood memories Image I'd forgotten all about being six years old walking a mile to the store with a note in my hand to buy my mom some smokes. I'd forgotten all about it! Thanks Linda! Thanks all! This is a wonderful thread that I hope every newbie reads.

mirigirl (silver)

24 Jan 2001, 06:29 #12

WOW! - I'M READIN, I'M READING.....YOU ARE ALL SUCH AN INSPIRATION TO ME........THANK GOD FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE, STRENGTH AND HOPE! AND SHARING...........
Maz
Three days, 9 hours, 34 minutes and 27 seconds. 84 cigarettes not smoked, saving $27.19. Life saved: 7 hours, 0 minutes.

wexmer

24 Jan 2001, 08:02 #13

Great stories all of you. Me? 35 years of smoking, 5 short of 40 but a long time nevertheless. And I was a Health Nut! Studied macrobiotics and even was a live-in macrobiotic chef in Spain. Made darn sure I had my Camels with me in my suitcase on the way to Spain. Camel straights. Healthier you know. Not filled up with chemicals because there's no filter. That job lasted less than a year. Moved back to USA. Started rolling our own cigarettes to a)save money and b) smoke less. Well that didn't last long. And on and on and on and on. Been trying to quit pretty serioulsy since turning 40. Next month I turn 50. Finding this web site has made all the difference. My first cigarette was an Old Gold. Anybody remember them??? We use to steal our parents cigarettes. Untape the bottom of the pack, gently pulll out 1 or 2 and tape it back up. Smoking stories go on and on. I remember going thru the Garbage once for cigarette butts on a camping trip. Gross.
Quitting is tough. The addiction is VERY POWERFUL. REad, read, read, read. Everyday I find something to latch onto to be my daily afirmation. Thanks to Joel. My new favorite is "Cigarettes are a fantasy. But smoking is a miserable addiction"
DAY 23 - Alice

Hal(Gold)

31 Jan 2001, 05:55 #14

Hi all. I have been smoking for almost 55 years. I started smoking at age 15 when smoking, as so many of you have said, was COOL. My wife and I live in the mountains in Nevada at 7400 feet. We have a three story house, with the kitchen on the second floor. When I used to bring the groceries up the stairs, especially after 2 or 3 trips, i was so winded I had to sit down for 5 minutes to catch my breath. Of course this was also a good occasion to light one up. My doctor said I had the beginnings of emphysema and of course to quit smoking. On the evening of November 28, 2000 I had a coughing fit that just wouldn't quit, and both lungs hurt.
I went downstairs and ground up the 5 remaining packages of cigarettes in the garbage disposal. Im surprised the garbage disposal did'nt throw up. lol. Anyway I haven't had another puff since that night. I am still having trouble with cravings, but I keep telling myself that No matter how bad I feel, smoking is NOT an option. I also have a problem in that my wife still smokes, and she is nine months older than I. She will turn 70 in March, and to smoke menthols is a double whammy I am told as supposedly the menthol crystallizes in the lungs. NOT ANOTHER PUFF, NEVER. 2M 2D 2h 1m 11s, 2523 not smoked, Savings of $315.42. LS 1W 1D 18h 15mImage

improud (golder)

14 Feb 2001, 04:33 #15

Are we not the coolest!!!! INTO MY 6th week NIC free after 40 years.
Last edited by improud (golder) on 08 Jul 2009, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Triin (GOLD)

24 Feb 2001, 22:42 #16

Those are the kind of stories that help me best. I have this overwhelming fear that if i don't quit now I will never be able to do it. This fear is not irrational. If I don't quit now, I will end up 50yrs old and still smoking. I'm 21 now. It's the last time for me to quit. And I'm going to make it!!!

Once, I met my old friend whom I hadn't seen for 2 years. We were chatting and she asked if I was still smoking. I said "I should quit soon". She replied "yeah, yeah, I've heard that before". It was then when I realized how long I had been telling myself and others I have to quit, but nevertheless I hadn't done it! I started to hate myself because of smoking, and I still did it! I was so ashamed! Now I'm free, and my intention is to stay free for the rest of my life!

Triin

I have been Quit for: 5D 16h 41m 47s. I have NOT smoked 113, for a savings of $7.83. Life Saved: 9h 25m

Patticake (Gold)

25 Feb 2001, 11:20 #17

I guess after smoking for 40+ years I can relate to just about every reply I have seen here. I guess no matter how old you are stopping an addiction is difficult. But I want to tell the young people who are here for support this: Please stop now, don't let nicodemon become part of your history and your future. I kept telling myself I was going to quit, I kept asking myself when. Smoking is life threatening, smoking is expensive, smoking smells, no where will you find one positive thing about smoking. When I first started smoking I thought why not everyone else is doing it. My aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, friends, movie stars, total strangers on the streets, I thought it was the thing to do. I didn't have a clue it was addictive, and I don't think anyone ever warned me it was, and my family was in the medical profession. I can remember in the early 60's a new mother could smoke in her room in the maternity ward, you could buy cigarettes in the lobby of the hospital. Smoking was allowed in doctors waiting rooms. And if one thinks the cost of a pack of cigarettes is high just think about the cost to your body after long term smoking. I am being honest when I say this has been one of the most difficult steps I have made in my life, this has been hard and I don't ever want to go through this again. I have been smoke free for one month and one week today and I take it one day at a time.

Tessa

25 Feb 2001, 12:46 #18

I was an addicted everyday smoker at the age of 17, but had sneaked smokes with friends on occasion before that.... I will soon be
56, so cigerettes had been a part of my life for 38 years. The first pack I bought was 24cents and the other penny from the quarter
went for gum balls in the hope of covering the smell. Ash trays were as important as milk bottles and coffee cups in our house
and every Aunt,and Uncle and almost every visitor smoked.
Every event , Christenings, Weddings, Holidays,and Funerals(in the adult room) took place in a fog of smoke. It was just a way of
life , you just sort of grew into. I`m so glad to see it fading away from social events and becoming a social tabu . Sure is easier on the
non smokers, and really gives a little affirmation, to us ex smokers, who are trying hard to make the addiction a thing of the past.
I wish freedom had been a part of my life at least 25 yrs ago, but am grateful I found them when I did....... Tessa

I hope to be smoke free the next 40years !!!!
Two months, two weeks, three days, 11 hours, 9 minutes and 49 seconds. 1589 cigarettes not smoked, saving $238.39. Life saved: 5 days, 12 hours, 25 minutes.

R b rt

10 Mar 2001, 00:17 #19

hey y'all, just caught this thread before signing off ...
I re-read it and figured I'd add my current day stats to the bottom of it to show "I AM STILL HANGING AROUND"
SMOKEFREE !!!
7MONTHS/8DAYS
you CAN do it !! !! !!
- robert -

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

22 Mar 2001, 04:02 #20

forty year plus smokers....add your story. how we wish we'd had the courage to quit many years ago. Maybe we can make the younger quitters understand why we did it so, so long. Really....what was our excuse?