Four years ago I found my Freedom

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

January 11th, 2009, 10:30 pm #1

Hello friends of Freedom from Tobacco. I'm mostly posting my four year anniversary for all you newbies (and soon to be newbies) to lend some perspective on what's to come. When you wonder 'What's it like to never be able to smoke another cigarette or pack in another chew?' Here's what I'd like to share with you. It's WONDERFUL! It's like living in an alternate reality, but this one's true. The actual 'alternate reality' is living tied down by an addiction to the chemical compound nicotine.

The clean of and free from reality that comes with the simple decision to Not Take Another Puff is filled with peace of mind and no worry or false dependency anxiety. It feels really good to be free. Keep reading here as I did and that becomes quickly evident. It's what the 'oldbies' of this group have always said and it's true - life is so much better living free from nicotine.

I found my freedom from nicotine right here, sitting at the computer and reading information from some folks named Joel, John, Joanne, Linda, Roger, O'Bob, Toast, Parker and a host of other folks. Many thanks to you all. Yesterday was actually the anniversary day when four years ago I finally was able to be true to myself and kept the promise of no more. So this post is a day off. I remember when that made a big deal of difference .....measuring the time free by the hour and day. Now it's just another day in the life of a free man. 4 years ago yesterday at 10:15 am I finally was able to free myself from nicotine dependency. I'd read at WhyQuit and FFT the day before. That's really the day my life changed for the good - 1/9/05. That was the day the light turned on. When I realized the depth and reality of my addiction to nicotine - not simply having to use tobacco cigarettes or chew or gum or any delivery vehicle to maintain the false feeling of nicotine normal (see Message 41 ). Why couldn't I have realized it sooner? Often wonder that. No matter, all that really matters is for the rest of TODAY I'm very sure I'll not permit any nicotine to sully my wonderful life of remission. Take care of today and the rest takes care of itself. On probation for life and yet free to choose. It is an easy choice now. I like my chances of living the rest and best of my life free.

Again, thanks to you all who showed me the way. You're all the best that's ever been. To all of you who follow. C'mon along and walk the Freedom Trail. There's an awesome life free from nicotine awaiting you and all you gotta do is ntap and live your life naturally. It's the Good Life. Understand this one core truth - It is not living without it it is a life free from it - change the way you see things and the things you see will change.

Your Quit Bro - JoeJ Free, a nicotine addict & an ex-smoker who last administered nicotine 4 years, 23 hours and 52 seconds Ago (1461 days).
Not needed, wanted or missed 38011 deadly dose delivery devices, and retained $9,693.34.
Reclaimed 263 days, 23 hours and 9 minutes of precious remaining life time.

Scarecrow 9 17
Scarecrow 9 17

January 11th, 2009, 10:53 pm #2

Wow! Four glorious years of FREEDOM ~ Congrats!!
Thank you for all you contribute here.
You and your Dad, Al were a big inspiration for me when I first arrived here in September 2007, thank you.
You are so right, it does get better and better.
"The clean of and free from reality that comes with the simple decision
to Not Take Another Puff is filled with peace of mind
and no worry or false dependency anxiety.
It feels really good to be free."
JoeJFree
I am proud to say I am Lisa J and for One Year, Three Months, Twenty Three Days, 21 Hours and 21 Minutes I have not been slowly killing myself. I chose not to inhale 9638 poison sticks and choose to enjoy the $3,195.14, instead of giving it to the tobacco companies!

Nancy J
Nancy J

January 12th, 2009, 5:56 am #3

JoeJFree --
Huge Congratulations to you!
Thank you for posting -- you are so right: it is WONDERFUL!
Thank you so much for welcoming me when I came and for the hundreds of folks you and Al have inspired, encouraged and educated along the way! Your article links and song snippets are as "right on" now as then :)
I, too, remember when each hour and each day was a critical step of staying quit and committing again to reading, to NTAP and to staying positive along the way.
Four years, four hours, four days, four months -- all are great to celebrate, so thanks for sharing it here!
Nancy
Tomorrow I'll make 2 years FREE!

Roger Gold
Roger Gold

January 12th, 2009, 11:14 am #4

And what a find your Freedom was Joe. Those of us who are fortunate enough to believe in ourselves and that simple message telling us one day at a time, fully understand how great life is without our active dependence on nicotine. Congratulations JoeJ.

One Day At A Time

Roger

7+ Very Thankful Years

kysbrlady
kysbrlady

January 12th, 2009, 12:04 pm #5

Congratulations on 4 years of freedom JoeJ! You were an inspiration to me in the beginning of my quit. You have been a tremendous help in guiding me along the Freedom Trail. Many thanks to you for all that you share.

Kathy - I have been quit for 2 Years, 9 Months, 2 Weeks, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 12 seconds (1,020 days). I have saved $4,797.13 by not smoking 40,826 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Months, 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 18 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/28/2006 6:00 AM

RobinS614
RobinS614

January 12th, 2009, 4:03 pm #6

Congratulations Joe.......and thank you for all you do !!
Robin 2 years 7 months +

katsrule8
katsrule8

January 12th, 2009, 6:13 pm #7

I am at my home computer - so no pretty pictures, sorry

JoeJ what can I say, there is so much to thank you for, but where do I find the words that can adequately say them - your support is solid and caring, you sir are amazing, you tell the newbies (and I was one) that this CAN be done - I for one believed you.... it is true you just have to NTAP..
Thank you thank you thank you

4 years is just so totally brilliant - keep leaving the footsteps and I will continue to follow.....always

YQS

Suzie

VICKIGOLD2006
VICKIGOLD2006

January 12th, 2009, 9:01 pm #8

Congratulations on 4 years free from nicotine Joe. What an inspiration you've been to me and so many others following the freedom trail. You are right about just how wonderful it is to not to "have " to have a cigarette!! It is true when we choose to give ourselves the opportunity to get educated on the addiction to nicotine, our lives change...and all for the better. As a 40 years smoker, I never thought it was possible until I found Why Quit and the Freedom family.
Thank you for all you do here Joe. You were straight with me when I came in and it has made a huge difference in my life. Celebrate this wonderful committment to NTAP. YQS

Vicki, free from nicotine for 2 years, 5 months and 10 days because I chose to NTAP

Doc2474
Doc2474

January 12th, 2009, 10:52 pm #9

Congratulations Joe
Thanks for your words along my journey.

Regards

Doc
90 days

ScottA0
ScottA0

January 12th, 2009, 11:42 pm #10

Congratulations Joe on Four glorious years free. Your absolutely right, this is not about learning to live without nicotine, it's about learning that nicotine free is a better way to live. I see those huddled groups of people outside builings trying in vain to get enough nicotine in them to "hold them' for a while. It just absolutely blows me away that we don't have to do that any longer. Thanks for all your help and advice through your well thought out posts to us "newer". Spring is almost here- but really winter is'nt so bad from the warmth of my home. Congrats again.

Scott 1year 10 months

Ilona
Ilona

January 13th, 2009, 1:18 am #11

Hi JoeJ Free

Congratulations on four wonderful years; it seems like such a long time from where I sit. I am still at the "former addict taking a few timid steps into Freedom" stage. I am not running around free... yet. It must feel so good to live one's life free of the thoughts of hours, days and months. That, I suppose, is when the mind is really enjoying freedom from nicotine.

Thank you for reminding me that there is still a lot of journey left, a lot more freedom and joy to come.

Ilona
(upcoming 10 months, in 3 days)

forza d animo
forza d animo

January 13th, 2009, 1:53 am #12

Bro Joe,
4 years of learning, and sharing. Hope is what you bring to others who come here seeking support, hope and direction.

[Isn't it] Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content?
I don't have any regrets they can talk about me plenty when I'm gone.
You always said people don't do what they believe in they just do what's most convenient then they repent.
And I always said. "Hang on ... baby and let's hope that the roof stays on".

Bob Dylan - Brownsville Girl.

Your Quit bro Giusepp'

Gump19690
Gump19690

January 13th, 2009, 6:24 am #13

This message has been deleted by the author.

Gump19690
Gump19690

January 13th, 2009, 6:27 am #14

JoeJ is at 4 years?
Great news. You've earned your freedom and now its time to enjoy it. You've always been that proverbial lighthouse, showing others the light of Freedom. Congratulations on this great milestone.
It is not living without it it is a life free from it - change the way you see things and the things you see will change.

Rickrob53 Gold
Rickrob53 Gold

January 13th, 2009, 6:43 am #15

Well said, Joe! Congrats on your 4 years of freedom and 4 years living your life as you were meant to live it!
Also, a big kudo to you for all the many replies of support you've offered to others here along your journey. Thank you for all you do.
Richard
4 years, 11 months

Doc460704
Doc460704

January 13th, 2009, 7:09 am #16

Congratulations to JoeJ on four glorious years of freedom. I just wanted to add my thanks for you leaving such plain tracks in the sand for me to follow.

YQB,
Pat
(FREE NOW One year, one week, four days, 16 hours, 7 minutes.
11330 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,266.03.
Life saved: 5 weeks, 4 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes, absolutely PRICELESS)

dennyb2
dennyb2

January 13th, 2009, 11:25 am #17

Congratulations JoeJ!
You have unlocked the door for so many now following your lead!
It's getting crowded back here
YQB - Denny B - 1024 days Free

tina
tina

January 13th, 2009, 11:40 am #18

Congratulations Joe!
and thank you for your years of
encouragement and support.
Enjoy and celebrate this wonderful
achievement.
We are all very proud of you!!
Tina - Free and Healing for Four Years, Ten Months, Fifteen Days and 35 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 74 Days and 6 Hours, by avoiding the use of 21384 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $9,787.62.

Shinelady Gold3282003
Shinelady Gold3282003

January 13th, 2009, 12:41 pm #19

Joe J is GoldX4!!!
Congratulations, Joe!!! There are those who come here and quit and those who come here , quit and then give back. Joe, I want to thank you for all the time you have spent here helping others along this journey to freedom. You have gone above and beyond to help educate and support your quit brothers and sisters . You are one in a million and the members of this site have been very fortunate to have had you here with us. Four years is a wonderful personal achievement... looking forward to helping you celebrate the next 4 and beyond.
Yqs, Sue-GoldX 5 working on 6

starbirder.ffn
starbirder.ffn

January 13th, 2009, 12:44 pm #20

CONGRAULATIONS JOE on your 4th Year of FREEDOM
Thank you for your support to me throughout my Freedom Journey. You continue to offer us HOPE.....
"There's an awesome life free from nicotine awaiting you and all you gotta do is ntap and live your life naturally. It's the Good Life."
"Give yourself the time you need to heal"
Star Free and Healing for 1 Year, 5 Months, 29 Days, 11 Hours and 59 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 19 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 5,485 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,422.26.

Melrose18
Melrose18

January 13th, 2009, 7:14 pm #21

Congratulations, JoeJ!
Thank you for all your work here and the support that you have given so many. I know that you are proud and so you should be. Life will only get better!
God Speed,
Melrose
2 years, 4 months ++

Dave
Dave

January 13th, 2009, 11:26 pm #22

Joe

GOLD X 4 !!

Isn't freedom , from that horrible addiction to nicotine, great?

Enjoy it my friend, you earned it.

I Always enjoy your post.
Hope you keep " em" comming for many years!

Proud to be a fellow addict with you.
Cause now we're living a better life every day!

Dave
GOLD X 2
Thank GOD !

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

January 14th, 2009, 12:51 am #23

Congratulations on 4 YEARS of freedom Joe!
Wow, that is just awesome.
Thank you for sharing your journey with us - you are an inspiration.
God Bless You!
Joanne

CWZero K
CWZero K

January 14th, 2009, 12:59 am #24

Congratulations JoeJ! 4 Years Free. Wow! Thank you for encouraging posts and words of wisdom and links to other great posts. You really helped alot with it all. Your quit bro,
CW

mewapiti2
mewapiti2

January 14th, 2009, 1:06 am #25

FOUR years!! Congrats..... & thank you!! Thank you for all you do on this site saving lives!

Rose - almost 9 mos.