For those who wish that the triggers would cease

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

For those who wish that the triggers would cease

MsArmstrongKIS
MsArmstrongKIS

March 12th, 2003, 5:15 am #1

"Before enlightenment, we chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, we chop wood and carry water."
--Buddhist Proverb

After quitting, the world does not stop.

Quitting did not write my papers for me. Quitting did not make my mother change her attitude towards me. Quitting did not eliminate my health problems. My best friend will continue to smoke despite my quit. My professors will continue assigning stressful homework despite my quit. Quitting did not do the dishes or the laundry, and quitting did not drive me to my job so I wouldn't have to walk and smoke. Quitting did not cancel all parties and close all smoky bars. Quitting did not wake me up in the morning so I didn't need coffee, and quitting did not take the place of a glass of wine after dinner with a cigarette.

Life goes on in precisely the same way, and yet everything is different.

Quitting took the suicide out of all of my daily acts. Quitting put my life back into my own hands. Triggers are endless; my mother (who has not smoked for 15 years) still occasionally mentions that for some reason, she suddenly would like a cigarette. But quitting gave me back my freedom to choose.

. . .just read that quote somewhere, and it really meant something to me. . .

Alex

I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Weeks 4 Days 21 Hours 36 Minutes 37 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 414. Money saved: $103.60.

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

March 12th, 2003, 5:41 am #2

Good post Alex,

Just one point about triggers. They're not endless. While true that triggers do occassionally pop up even many years after we quit, the truth is that in fairly short order, triggers get fewer and farther between. At 1 month, I could count the number of triggers I had a day on 1 hand. At 3 months, I could count the number I had in a week on 2. At 6 months, they were an infrequent visitor. At a year, I find that I'll run into a trigger maybe once a month. Given that the other 2.5 million plus seconds per month pass without triggers, the triggers are more than insignificant in their impact on my life. Your mom may have encountered a trigger. It's unlikely that she encounters them very often. A good post I'm sure you've read....

Tell a newbie how how many seconds a day you still want a cigarette

It's all true.

Nice to see you're gaining some hard-earned wisdom.

Bob

Vipinisgold
Vipinisgold

March 12th, 2003, 6:06 am #3

How appropriate Alex. I was just thinking about the same thing today that
nothing has changed as far as my life is concerned. Everything is same.
The best thing is that the nicotine is gone. Thanks for sharing a wonderful
proverb.

Vipin
2w 4d of smokefree lungs and body and soul

Toast (GOLD )
Toast (GOLD )

March 12th, 2003, 6:10 am #4

"Chop wood, carry water" is good to be sure.

Another favorite of mine is:

"I'd rather be an ex-smoker with occassional thoughts of smoking than a smoker with constant thoughts of quitting."

Melissa
21 months

DubiouslyDos
DubiouslyDos

March 12th, 2003, 6:23 am #5

Nice post!

Thank you for sharing it.
You're absolutely right when you say, "Life goes on in precisely the same way, and yet everything is different."
We are the ones who are seeing life in a different way. Isn't it GREAT!!!

Dos (Certainly wishing quits washed dishes...)
41 Weeks 5 Days

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

March 12th, 2003, 6:29 am #6

(Certainly wishing quits washed dishes...)

Mine doesn't wash dishes either, but it keeps my drapes and carpets cleaner, and the house smells a lot better.

butterflybeth82
butterflybeth82

May 11th, 2008, 10:45 pm #7

WavyDavy7
WavyDavy7

May 13th, 2008, 10:00 am #8

Excellent Alex!! I guess if we didn't have triggers of various kinds that would mean we are dead. One difference with cigs is that I know so well how easy the craving can be instantly satisfied, but I would lose the work I've done for almost three weeks.

Smobriety comes to: 2W 6D 5H 54Mns $-Saved to date: $180.94

johnnynonic
johnnynonic

November 28th, 2008, 1:06 am #9

"Before enlightenment, we chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, we chop wood and carry water." --Buddhist Proverb

jinx
jinx

December 4th, 2008, 4:20 am #10

Then why quit??

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

December 4th, 2008, 6:07 am #11

Alex's original post includes this key passage:

"Life goes on in precisely the same way, and yet everything is different.

Quitting took the suicide out of all of my daily acts. Quitting put my life back into my own hands. Triggers are endless; my mother (who has not smoked for 15 years) still occasionally mentions that for some reason, she suddenly would like a cigarette. But quitting gave me back my freedom to choose. "

rosy
rosy

December 5th, 2009, 9:22 pm #12

Had a bit of a wobble today - so I'm going through the posts on craves & triggers for some " enlightenment " ( love the Poverb).
Perhaps some honesty would help also - found this graphic in one of the anti-cig ad posts for a reality check:

Free & Healing
Rosy
Stopped Smoking for One Month, Twenty Seven Days, 5 Hours and 23 Minutes, by avoiding the use of 1888 nicotine delivery devices. Quit Day : 09/10/2009.
Last edited by rosy on December 5th, 2009, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.