For all who are looking to put an end to bad days.

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

For all who are looking to put an end to bad days.

29 Jan 2003, 03:22 #1

These people no longer have bad days.
Family victims who now have lots of sadder and emptier days, even though the users no longer have to suffer: http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/family.html

We can go off other directions with this too. We can show you members who have had lots of bad day since they quit. Not because they quit though, but because they smoked and are still suffering consequences, or because they are still having to live with the results of others who are still smokers. How did Joanne spend her fourth year smoke free anniversary date yesterday--by going to a funeral of a family member who died from smoking. My guess is it wasn't a good day for her and much of her family either. There are plenty of other examples that our members can share of bad days they have had caused by smoking. I am going to leave it up to them as to whether or not they want to share their stories.

People will have occasional bad days after they quit smoking, but the fact is most of these bad days have nothing to do with the fact that they no longer smoke. Smokers on the other hand are going to have bad days too that have nothing to do with smoking, but they are also going to have a whole lot of bad days that are bad because they are smokers. Life goes on without smoking, and it is going to go on longer and have less days that are bad because of illness or the general debilitating effects that are caused by smoking as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

18 Feb 2003, 17:58 #2

I put this one up during a particularly volatile day a few weeks back. I think people were probably afraid to touch the concept back then. But I think the message here is still important. There will be bad days ahead for people who have quit smoking. There are also going to be bad days that happen to people who never smoked a day in their lives. But there are going to be worse days ahead for smokers who do not quit that are going to be bad because of smoking induced problems.

It is true that many smokers may have less bad days, but that is only because they are going to have less days to live. That happens to people who lop off years or decades of their lives by dying years or decades prematurely. But it is crucial to note that even the days they are alive are often much worse because of the physical limitations that go along with being a smoker, as well as the chronic withdrawal state that goes along with being a smoker. To have more days overall in your life and better health even during the bad ones always remember why you have committed to never take another puff!

Joel

18 Feb 2003, 20:33 #3

This is a very powerful piece. For me it emphasizes the importance of remembering. Of remembering what it was like to smoke. Not the fantasy ahhhh cigarette, but the reality of smoking one after another. The reality of shortness of breath, chest pains, and crippling anxieties about heart attacks, cancer, strokes. The reality of self-loathing because yet another promise to myself to quit never got off the ground. The reality of stench and filth and expense.

That's what it was like for me to be actively engaged in my nicotine addiction. Those were bad days. Now when I have tough days and down days and days when the entire world has gotten together to plot how to make me NUTS, I move through them unencombered by the weight of my addiction. Because the reality is that smoking makes nothing easier. It makes living my life harder.

So for anyone who has not yet taken the time to document your reasons to quit -- do it now. Write down all the ways in which active addiction impacted your life. Create a record of the reality of smoking -- it will come in handy when you start falling into fantasies of how just one will make you feel better. One of the most powerful tools you can employ in this journey of recovery is your memory of the reality of active addiction.

Thanks, Joel, for providing me with an opportunity to strengthen my own quit by responding to this piece!

Parker - 8+ months

20 Feb 2003, 15:33 #4

There, but for the grace of God, go I.
Thanks for the kick in the butt, Joel. I just shared this with my 20 year old daughter who started smoking 2 short years ago. Now that my house is nicotine free, I would like her to be too. She lives with me, but is no longer allowed to smoke in the house. I was hoping this would discourage her from smoking, but it has not yet. Maybe a couple of photos will give her enough shock value to kick her in the butt too.
I started at the age of 10. It seemed so cool then, and I felt like a grown-up. But now in my mid-40's it's a chain with a cement block attached that I have finally broken free of. We all want better for our children, and I am no different. You keep posting, and I'll keep reading and sharing.
4 weeks, 1 day 11 hours, 35 minutes free from nicotine.
Sharon

05 Mar 2003, 04:54 #5

Joel, This is now being used at a quit smoking class I'm helping with at church.
I for one will never forget these tragic stories or the one of my own Mother.
Rick

12 Mar 2003, 05:25 #6

Yes one day smoking thoughts will cease. Smokers who continue to smoke will likely stop having thoughts for cigarettes sooner than if they had ever quit. But this is only because they will stop having thoughts for anything. Your goal should not be to stop thinking about cigarettes--your goal should be to stop destroying yourself with cigarettes. To accomplish this goal is as easy as always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

31 Mar 2003, 04:02 #7

Listen Up!

"People will have occasional bad days after they quit smoking, but the fact is most of these bad days have nothing to do with the fact that they no longer smoke."

24 May 2003, 21:51 #8

There will be bad days ahead for people who have quit smoking. There are also going to be bad days that happen to people who never smoked a day in their lives. But there are going to be worse days ahead for smokers who do not quit that are going to be bad because of smoking induced problems.
It is true that many smokers may have less bad days, but that is only because they are going to have less days to live. That happens to people who lop off years or decades of their lives by dying years or decades prematurely. But it is crucial to note that even the days they are alive are often much worse because of the physical limitations that go along with being a smoker, as well as the chronic withdrawal state that goes along with being a smoker. To have more days overall in your life and better health even during the bad ones always remember why you have committed to never take another puff!

Joel

08 Jun 2003, 10:00 #9

I'm new here and reading these stories at whyquit.com is what brought me to this site. I was so moved by there stories and everything that they must have gone through. I mostly didn't want to put myself in their shoes when I had the power to stop it.

Thanks for sharing their stories again and giving us all the reminder we need.

Chris
I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Days 21 Hours 59 Minutes 53 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 78. Money saved: $15.67.

12 Aug 2003, 23:33 #10

People will have occasional bad days after they quit smoking, but the fact is most of these bad days have nothing to do with the fact that they no longer smoke. Smokers on the other hand are going to have bad days too that have nothing to do with smoking, but they are also going to have a whole lot of bad days that are bad because they are smokers. Life goes on without smoking, and it is going to go on longer and have less days that are bad because of illness or the general debilitating effects that are caused by smoking as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

13 Sep 2003, 00:20 #11

The only way home to "you" is through recovery.

27 Sep 2003, 11:15 #12

Yes one day smoking thoughts will cease. Smokers who continue to smoke will likely stop having thoughts for cigarettes sooner than if they had never quit. But this is only because they will stop having thoughts for anything. Your goal should not be to stop thinking about cigarettes--your goal should be to stop destroying yourself with cigarettes. To accomplish this goal is as easy as always remembering to never take another puff!
Joel

23 Nov 2003, 02:26 #13

Thank you for bringing this back to the front--I for one really needed to see it today.

Today is one of those days when I would normally be reaching for every cancer stick I could smoke and then some. Very busy and stressful. Today I have chosen NOT to go that route and I feel good, but it still doesn't change the fact things are really bad today in the office. There are 2 people who sit across from me who never smoked and 4 people who have quit anywhere from 2 days to 20 + years ago around me and we are ALL experiencing the same kind of day.

Life truly does go on!

I am grateful that I will have the opportunity to experience even more bad days (and good days) in the future because I quit smoking 2 weeks 1 day 4 hours and 25 minutes ago! I have left almost 14 packs of the cancer sticks at the store and kept $20.50 in my pocket AND added 22.75 hours back to my life!

David

23 Nov 2003, 02:30 #14

Here David:

I thought you would appreciate this article in case you ever find the people sitting across from you are still active smokers.

Joel

Recently, a successful graduate called me complaining that she needed a cigarette. When I inquired as to why she needed to smoke, she said that there were many problems at work and she felt that a cigarette would calm her down and make her better able to cope with the current sutuation. She went on to explain that the woman who sits across from her is always smoking which futher enhances her cravings to take a cigarette.

06 Dec 2003, 20:07 #15

Yes one day smoking thoughts will cease. Smokers who continue to smoke will likely stop having thoughts for cigarettes sooner than if they had never quit. But this is only because they will stop having thoughts for anything. Your goal should not be to stop thinking about cigarettes--your goal should be to stop destroying yourself with cigarettes. To accomplish this goal is as easy as always remembering to never take another puff! Joel

24 Dec 2003, 08:52 #16

24 Dec 2003, 23:39 #17

For anyone who is working with the assumption that the first few days of quitting are in any way the worst kind of days that anyone has ever or will ever go through in their lives. The withdrawals from quitting smoking--even when extreme by normal standards are nothing compared to the pain and suffering that people will likely experience if they don't quit smoking.

Think of your worst seconds or minutes or even hours of withdrawal and see if you now feel that you wished you could have traded places with any of these people who were suffering the real ravages of smoking:
Bryan Lee Curtis (1965 - 1999)
Noni Glykos (1966 - 1999)
Kim's Missing Lung
To minimize your chance of ever going through the real suffering that smoking could induce is as simple now as sticking with your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

24 Dec 2003, 23:47 #18

Hi Joel,
Thanks for this thread. I feel that bad days are part of life. The junkie in your head (who will, unfortunately, forever be there) waits to use you at your most vulnerable. That is why on bad days s/he is jumping up and down for attention. If you honestly thought that quitting smoking would eliminate bad days entirely you need to go to that library and read. Quitting smoking is not about making your life perfect. Quitting smoking is about a healthier, longer and better quality of life. All these things will happen if you never take another puff.

Another note, at least on bad days you learn you can take it by yourself and don't need nicotine, or anything, to help you through. You can stand on your own two feet and that feels pretty good.

Jane

29 May 2004, 07:37 #19

Thanks - I needed this one today. For some reason I'm having one of my worst days. Luckily it's almost over and I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Julie - Free and Healing for Twenty Seven Days, 21 Hours and 35 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 418 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $129.88.

24 Jul 2004, 06:04 #20

Joel-- Thank you for being so exacting with your message. Effective!

08 Aug 2004, 09:44 #21

Thanks....I had a bad day today but you helped me put it in perspective. I love this place!!!!

28 Sep 2004, 23:41 #22

There will be bad days ahead for people who have quit smoking. There are also going to be bad days that happen to people who never smoked a day in their lives. But there are going to be worse days ahead for smokers who do not quit that are going to be bad because of smoking induced problems. It is true that many smokers may have less bad days, but that is only because they are going to have less days to live. That happens to people who lop off years or decades of their lives by dying years or decades prematurely. But it is crucial to note that even the days they are alive are often much worse because of the physical limitations that go along with being a smoker, as well as the chronic withdrawal state that goes along with being a smoker. To have more days overall in your life and better health even during the bad ones always remember why you have committed to never take another puff!

Joel

01 Dec 2004, 06:19 #23

12 Mar 2005, 11:11 #24

Somehow this picture really captures the essence of this topic. It doesn't show clogged arteries, or blackened lungs, surgical scars, or side effects from chemotherapy. It quietly and eloquently highlights the ultimate loss that smoking causes to individuals, their families and their loved ones.
Smoking has the ability to make you lose everything you care about. It also has the additional ability to cause immeasurable losses for everyone who cares about you. Considering the message being delivered here by this photo, I hope it makes it perfectly clear to all who visit this string that quitting smoking is worth the effort, for it is an effort to save your health and your life--an effort that you will win if you permanently stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff!
Related readings:
Actions speak louder than words-or thought. 62 4 Joel. 11/30/2004 9:52 AM
"I think I have decided to go back to smoking" 80 9 Joel. 11/30/2004 9:52 AM
"Boy, do I miss smoking!" 131 7 Joel. 11/30/2004 9:51 AM
I feel 100% Better Since I Quit! 84 1 Joel. 11/30/2004 9:50 AM
For people wondering if quitting is really worth the effort... 5 1 Joel 11/30/2004 9:49 AM

01 Jun 2005, 19:13 #25

For anyone who is working with the assumption that quitting in any way can create the worst kind of days that anyone will ever go through in their lives. The problems encountered from quitting smoking--even when extreme by normal standards are nothing compared to the pain and suffering that people will likely experience if they don't quit smoking.

Think of your worst seconds or minutes or even hours of withdrawal and see if you now feel that you wished you could have traded places with any of these people who were suffering the real ravages of smoking:
Bryan Lee Curtis (1965 - 1999)
Noni Glykos (1966 - 1999)
Kim's Missing Lung
To minimize your chance of ever going through the real suffering that smoking could induce is as simple now as sticking with your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel