For all of our One Year Quitters

For all of our One Year Quitters

Joel

30 Nov 2001, 21:01 #1

We have a number of people who have just reached a major milestone in smoking cessation--they have made it whole year nicotine free. This really is a major accomplishment. For when a person is off for a year it means they have learned to deal with annual events and holidays, changes of seasons, major national and world tragedies, and a host of other life upheavals all the while proving to themselves and to others that they are fully capable of experiencing life's ups and downs smoke free.

Basically making it a year means that a person has proven that there can be a full life after smoking. While a year is a major accomplishment, it is still important to keep working with the premise that every day is also still a major accomplishment. Also please note, that being off for a year does not mean that you have ended your addiction. It is still there and if given the opportunity will come out in full force.

Almost every clinic or seminar I do I will have people who were once off for many years, and sometimes even decades. I actually did a group two nights ago. I only had seven people there. Five were kids who were caught smoking and sentenced by the courts to attend the seminar. The two other were a man and women who did not know each other and who were there because they wanted to quit. Both of them coincidentally had five year quits in the past that they had lost. Of course they both lost it the same way, one day after fives years they took a puff.

The point I am trying to make is that being off for a year is great. It means you have learned how to do lots of things as an ex-smoker. It means they you have proved countless times that you can overcome adversity and still remain smoke free. It means you have learned how to celebrate major events without "needing" to smoke.

Being off a year proves a lot of things, but it does not prove that a person is cured or immune to relapse. Our one and two year ex-smokers are still addicts in recovery and hopefully will stay this way for the rest of their lives. Enforcing one simple rule can insure that that they never will relapse. That rule is to remain smoke free simply entails remembering and keeping in practice the decision to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

30 Nov 2001, 23:21 #2

Image I've now been free and healing for 2 Years 6 Months 2 Weeks 14 Hours 12 Minutes 34 Seconds, there should be an extra 55,775 cigarettes somewhere and they tell me I'm $6,274.75 richer but I'll be darned if I can find it : ) One thing I do know, the complete sense of comfort I feel today can be lost just as quickly as that of Freedom's newest newbie. Yes - I'm on probation for the balance of my life and will always remain just one puff away from three packs a day - but comfortably so and as me : )

Hilary (silver)

30 Nov 2001, 23:37 #3

Truer words were never spoken.
I, too, lost a 5 year quit the same way, by taking ONE PUFF!
It took another five years before I was able to quit again.
I am an addict.
I will always be addicted to nicotine.
To remain in recovery, I must never take another puff.
Thank you, Freedom! Image

improud (golder)

01 Dec 2001, 03:34 #4

We should remind ourselves of this every day. Image We keep getting so comfortable in our quits that is also SOOO easy to say OH JUST ONE WON"T HURT.Image We are all here to say that ONE will DEFINATELY HURT. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF is the only way to stay Nicotine free. Image I have been Quit for: 10M 3W 4D 16h 2m 6s. I have NOT smoked 9920, for a savings of $1,488.01. Life Saved: 1M 3D 10h 40m.Image

marty (gold)

01 Dec 2001, 05:56 #5

Yep, that's me, I'm a one-year quitter now Image 'cuz my meter says NOT A PUFF for one year, : 6572 cigarettes not smoked saving £1,413.17 : 3 weeks, 1 day, 19 hours added to my life

I'm under no illusions. I know so much more than I did a year ago. Yes, I'm the same "one puff" away from being the smoker that I always was.

But that doesn't woryy me. The wonderful thing is that cigarettes no longer hold any attraction for me. I no longer find the thought of smoking appealing. Why would I light up a cigarette ? I truly cannot think of a single reason. or circumstance under which I would do that. If I was a never-smoker today, I wouldn't try my first cigarette, because I have too much knowledge of the dangers. In the same way, I wouldn't take my first shot of heroin, and I wouldn't try bungee jumping.

Maybe it's an advantage of age. I no longer need to do the "dangerously exciting" things in life. In fact they frighten me too much Image . So I'll remain alert, and I will spend the rest of my life protecting this quit that has come to mean so much to me.

But I now know I'll die an ex-smoker.

Stan (Gold)

01 Dec 2001, 06:28 #6

Amen to what Marty says....cigarettes just hold no attraction anymore, however that being said I know that the evil "nicodemon"still lives in the far reaches of my brain and will pay me visits for the rest of my life. But as I was telling a dear friend of many years just this morning...I can't imagine ever smoking again...I rarely even think of it anymore and when I do it is in a negative fashion. Hey, everyone have a wonderful Holiday Season and Best Wishes from the Great State of Texas, USA.....Warmest Regards, YQB, Stan (Gold)

Joel

01 Jan 2002, 19:05 #7

I think we have a number of people who this post applies to today. Congratulations to you all. Everyone just joining in today for the first time look at these people and realize they were right where you are now a year ago and now are still smoke free. I am willing to bet many of them had prior New Year quits that didn't last a week or even a day. The last one was different though--they armed themselves with a lot of information and committed themselves to succeed at all cost and at all times, and have pulled off a year now by reaffirming each day their desire to never take another puff!

Joel

Roberta (GOLD)

01 Jan 2002, 23:35 #8

I am almost to that year and am sure I'll make it by never taking one more puff. I have educated myself on addition and the sneaky nicodemon. I have had three previous quits of at least this duration but never knew enough and thought I could have one smoke during extreme stress. Imagine, wasting three separate quits due to stress. Well, education and Freedom friends here got me through what has probably been the worst year of my life in regard to stress and I am still smoke free. You can do. Best of luck to all. Breathing is such a pleasure.

YQS, Roberta Image I have been Quit for: 11M 1W 5D 5h 23m 15s. I have NOT smoked 10416, for a savings of $1,562.51. Life Saved: 1M 5D 4h.

mitch (Gold)

02 Jan 2002, 23:23 #9

Yo Joel... Mitch here. Yah... I lost a five year quit also with one friggan puff just like Hillary. Didn't know I was addicted... duh! Took 2 years to come around to this quit... by the grace of Freedom.

55,775 cigarettes not smoked John... whew... staggering. Your lungs would have been toast by now had you continued.

I just can't imagine ever sucking in any more of that vile smoke... can't even handle smelling it from afar. But it's clear now... I'm addicted. Not a lightweight realization... to the contrary... quite sobering and illuminating. I am in control once again over my well being.

After 8.5 months of being clean it's clear that FREEDOM RULES.

Yer quit bro Mitch

Joel

05 Jan 2002, 22:01 #10

Image We still have one year quitters popping up pretty regularly here--thought it would be good to keep them reminded as well as everyone else that the goal needs to still stay to make it through today--getting through today is the major reason to celebrate tonight. Deal with tomorrow the same way, and the day after that and so on and you will eventually have thousands of days of celebration for you will have proven over your lifetime that you were able to never take another puff!

Joel