For all of our One Year Quitters

DubiouslyDos

31 May 2003, 02:20 #21

For Joel Image

Nuff said Joel... Thanks!

Image Dos
I have been quit for 1 Year, 1 Week, 1 hour, 39 minutes and 32 seconds (372 days). I have saved $1,674.30 by not smoking 11,162 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 1 Week, 18 hours and 10 minutes of my life.

gaspar (gold)

31 May 2003, 02:29 #22

Joel,

Thanks for all you do. I'm sure glad I found this site and am certain that the information presented and closeness of the entire group helped me maintain my quit. I'm another one of the stat's who had quit for 5 yrs, took a puff, smoked the next 3 years and quit again 1-1/2 years ago. For all those just now quitting heed those words and know they are true, "Never Take Another Puff"

Later

Joel

09 Jul 2003, 21:41 #23

When I see that we have a bunch of people all celebrating a one year anniversary at the same time I sometimes start to think that we did a good job a year ago. But then I quickly come back to my senses and realize that we didn't do a good job one year ago--"they" did. "They" being the group of individual's who quit smoking.

I don't feel that this can be said enough, that each and every individual here is responsible for his or her own quit. We have a disclaimer up in a few places that we refuse to take the blame if any person relapses. A person relapses because he or she took a puff. In all fairness then, we cannot take the credit for all of our successful quitters either. Each and every individual who makes an entire year smoke free did so because he or she stuck to his or her initial commitment to himself or herself to never take another puff! We don't have the ability to enforce that a person stays quit. All we have is the ability to disseminate the information a person needs to understand what he or she must do to stay off of smoking.

As I said many times above, one year milestones are great, as are any milestones, but what is better than making a month, or three months or a year or even a decade is making it through today! Stay focused on today for today is always going to be the most important day of your quit, no matter if it is your first day, 30th day, 90th day, 365th day or thousandth day.

No matter how long a quit has lasted, each day it is essential that you make it through that day to stay smoke free. I have known many people who had years and even decades under their belts smoke free, let their guard down once, and now have years and decades of smoking under their belts again. Those years that were smoke free are now distant memories and are viewed as really quite meaningless to them now.

One puff can take years of hard work and thousands of victories and negate the whole effort. Don't waste this effort, for losing the quit is paramount to losing your Freedom, your health and over time, likely losing your life. To keep all of the perks and benefits that go along with being smoke free requires always remembering that no matter how long you are off--to stay off still requires remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Parker GOLD

09 Jul 2003, 22:34 #24

"Stay focused on today for today is always going to be the most important day of your quit, no matter if it is your first day, 30th day, 90th day, 365th day or thousandth day."

As I walked this morning -- without chest pain or wheezing, thank you very much! -- I gave thanks for the fact that my nicotine addiction is inactive. Can't give thanks for being cured, because I will always, always be an addict.

Anyway, back to the walk when I promised myself, " I will not smoke today, no matter what happens, no matter how I feel." My one year and one month of freedom is not to be taken for granted. As I learned here, we will never be stronger than our addiction, but we can be smarter. One puff and I will be back into a deadly routine of smoking and hating it and longing to quit as I smoke one after another. So, it is imperative that I do whatever it takes to never take that one puff.

For me, that means continuing to participate here. It means frequently reviewing the benefits (dare I say...wonders!) of being quit. It means honestly remembering what active addiction felt like. It means giving daily thanks for my freedom. It means paying attention to my state of my mind. Caring for Our Quit

This is such a precious gift to me. I've fought hard for it and know that no one can take it from me. It is up to me to continue to nurture my freedom.

Regards all,
ImageParker - 13 months of one-day-at-a-time

Dionne (gold)

02 Nov 2003, 01:30 #25

Joel and Parker: "See", that's what I'm talking about! All the above has sunk in more- this my third year into my quit- and this fear of relapse has made me become an active participant in Whyquit again. The thought of relapse is just plain frightening and it seems doable if we do not stay on our toes about our addiction.
So perhaps when I say how long I've been 'quit' I should say I am not smoking today and have kept it up for over 3 years. As I read over your letter Parker, I see I could have added my name to all that you said. Nicely done, thanks.
I'll hope to be reading things you've written for many years.

After 45 years of being an active addict, I am 3 years clean and fresh,
Dionne

Subie0(Gold)

03 Jan 2004, 11:52 #26

I was wondering around the site silently celebrating my three year quit when I came upon this thread. Wow!! I needed to read some of the thoughts in this thread. No matter how confident we become in our quit it is good to be reminded that we are and will always be an addict. I feel that sometimes I am overconfident in my quit because I so love not being a smoker. I love the freedom that has come with the quit that FREEDOM helped me to accomplish three years ago.

I so love not smoking that I have a difficult time believing that for so many years I inflicted my passion for smoking on the innocent people around me as well as on myself. Sometimes I feel myself slipping into overconfidence forgetting to acknowledge that I am an addict and must protect this quit daily. I love not smoking but know that there are still triggers and occasions that could be stronger then my joy in the freedom from smoking. New quitters, you will also love the freedom when you get past the beginning prangs of your quit. IT IS TRULY WONDERFUL. Just hang in there and before you know it three years will have past and you will be reminding yourself to be careful, stay on guard, because there will always be triggers old and new. Two months, one year, three years quit and we are still addicts. Love your quit, take pride in your quit, but always protect it carefully because it is a treasure worthy of care and protection. That is my resolve for this year of 2004.

Thank you Freedom and management. It is because of this site that I have been smokefree for 3 years 1 day 9 hours and 48 minutes. Hang in there new quitters. It is possible to live smoke free and to love it. Get your quit and guard it when you get it. Never take another puff.

Thanks again Freedom. Happy New Year Subie0 Quit 1-1-01

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

15 Dec 2004, 12:51 #27

Congratulations to our ONE YEAR quitters
and as Joel says:

One puff can take years of hard work and thousands of victories and negate the whole effort. Don't waste this effort, for losing the quit is paramount to losing your Freedom, your health and over time, likely losing your life. To keep all of the perks and benefits that go along with being smoke free requires always remembering that no matter how long you are off--to stay off still requires remembering to never take another puff!
Welcome to the GOLD!

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

02 Jan 2005, 00:39 #28

TO THE QUITTERS OF 1-2-2004 (HARLEYBOY, OZEROC, PAIKWA AND WILLIE) Y'ALL ROCK- WE DID IT WE QUIT 1 YEAR.

TO MY QUIT BROTHER HARLEY BOY AND FELLOW BIKER THANKS FOR BEING A STAND UP BRO.

NEWBIES AND LURKERS YOU CAN DO IT. THE SECRET TO QUIT SMOKING = N.T.A.P.

TO ALL MANGERS AND FELLOW QUITTERS THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND SUPPORT.

GUY WILLINGHAM AKA WILLIE IN FT. WORTH

I HAVE NOT SMOKED FOR 11 Months 4 Weeks 2 Days 10 Hours OR 1 YEAR IN LESS THAN 14 HOURS -12,800 CIGS.S NOT SMOKED, WITH A CASH SAVINGS OF $1,918.62 ONLY IN THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS. THIS AFTER 30 YEARS OF SMOKING. THANKS TO WHYQUIT.COM

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

31 Oct 2005, 12:45 #29

Being off a year proves a lot of things, but it does not prove that a person is cured or immune to relapse. Our one and two year ex-smokers are still addicts in recovery and hopefully will stay this way for the rest of their lives. Enforcing one simple rule can insure that that they never will relapse. That rule is to remain smoke free simply entails remembering and keeping in practice the decision to never take another puff!

Unlimitedoutcomes

16 Jan 2015, 16:24 #30

I got the flu, and on January 16, 2014, I didn't want to smoke and kept going. I searched the internet for information about a recovery timetable and found whyquit.com. From there I informed myself, found the additional resources of FFN http://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html and Turkeyville https://www.facebook.com/groups/whyquit/, and maintained my recovery. Knowledge has been and is my recovery method.