Focus on Quitting for Just One Hour

Focus on Quitting for Just One Hour

John (Gold)

20 Dec 2000, 00:58 #1

Just One Hour at a Time!
Many smokers fail at arresting their dependency because they allow their mind to convince them that the mountain is just too high to climb. There in front of them stands what seems from the bottom looking up like the mighty mountain of physical withdrawal. It isn't a hard climb before achieving peak withdrawal, but at a maximum of 72 hours it can feel rather lengthy and clearly requires focus and dedication of purpose. Although the view from the summit is breathtaking, for millions each year the dream of ever sensing freedom from nicotine will be destroyed when dependency fostered diseases permanently turns out the lights. Sadly, roughly 40% of us climb for a few brief hours each year and then simply give up. Why?

Are we too lazy to climb? Are they afraid of heights? Was the climbing too hard? I don't thinkImage so. I think that most of us talked ourselves into believing that there were just too many steps to take. Like our reaction to seeing extremely long lines at amusement theme parks, we simply didn't have the patience to wait in line to experience the unknown. Long term smokers have very little memory of what a healthy body and an unaddicted mind were like. You can tell a 30 year smoker that within three months of ending its use that they could experience up to a 30% improvement in overall lung function, and begin experiencing entire days where they never once think about wanting to smoke nicotine. But if you can't imagine or remember what healthy lungs are like, or going an entire day without concerns of replenshing the blood streams constantly falling nicotine reserves then you've wasted your breath.

If elephant was the best tasting meat in the world, and we told you that you had to eat an entire two ton elephant, you'd say "impossible!" Eating four thousand pounds of elephant is a far greater challenge than the 72 hours it takes for your body to become nicotine free and your withdrawal symptoms to peak, but it is not impossible. How do you eat a 4,000 pound elephant? One bite at a time! How do you make a 72 hour mountain climb? One step at a time.

We smokers are impatient people. We want results now! But it isn't our fault. Our minds have been conditioned by our addiction to expect immediate relief from the anxiety of early withdrawal, which always arrives within 8 seconds of sucking new nicotine into our lungs. Within 20 to 30 minutes our blood nicotine level will again fall to the point that minor discomfort arrives, and again we obtain almost immediate relief as new nicotine laden smoke is sucked into crying lungs. A pack a day smoker repeats this cycle of obtaining immediate relief about 7,300 times a year. Yes, smokers are impatient when it comes to bringing an abrupt halt to the symptoms of withdrawal but we've got reason to be impatient. Our addiction has bred a powerful habit and recovery doesn't happen overnight.

Successful quitters are those who have learned to control their impatience by ignoring the size of the elephant or the height of the mountain, as they continue taking just one bite and one step at a time. There are many tasks in life that require baby steps in order to finish what we've started. You can't build a beautiful wall with just one brick, receive a new baby after one month of pregnancy, obtain a college degree with just one class, or cook a delicious holiday dinner in a few short minutes. Imagine getting half of a meal cooked and then leaving the kitchen or building half a wall built and then walking away. Going the distance in life is normal. Swimming half way across the pool and then stopping is not.
Stop for one hour. Keep your eye on the path and try not to look ahead. Enjoy the hour, don't Imagedread it. The next hour doesn't have to be difficult. It could be flat and level or it might be a bit bumpy but either way it's just one hour and it is certain to end. The 72 hours need to reach the top of withdrawal's mountain are each wonderful hours of glorious healing. With the passing of each, your body grows cleaner as more and more nicotine is eliminated from your body. You know that no crave lasts more than three minutes but that recovery time distortion can make the minutes feel like hours so be sure and look a clock. Soon another hour of freedom and healing will have passed and you can begin celebrating! Celebrate 72 times! Enjoy each step to freedom for if we do this right we'll only take them once. Remember, there is absolutely nothing to fear in coming home to a place where everything we did with nicotine can be done as well or better without it. I know that may seem impossible right now but just one hour and challenge at a time and you'll learn like we did that nicotine addiction is about living a lie. It wasn't who we were, it didn't define us and it certainly didn't help us cope.

You deserve to taste freedom! It's our birthright. There are hundreds of millions of recovered and comfortable ex-users and none were stonger than we are. They simply learned a a bit of patience. Why not give yourself a chance to meet the real you! Stop using for just one hour and then celebrate! Remember, that next craving will end whether it's fed or not. Why not bring them to a permanent end!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,
John (Zep) - The Gold Club
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:22, edited 3 times in total.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

20 Dec 2000, 01:04 #2

glad you started this thread, Zep....just found this in my files about an hour ago and thought it would be nice to add. have no idea who the author is but would like to say thank you to him or her.

"when the task at hand is a mountain in front of you
it may seem too hard to climb.
but you don't have to climb it all at once -
just one step at a time.
take one small step...
and one small step
then another...
and you'll find...
the task at hand that was a mountain in front of you...
is now a mountain you have climbed."

author unknown

LindaImage
Last edited by GrumpyOMrsS (Gold) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

20 Dec 2000, 01:16 #3

That was fast Linda Image but very timely!
Just one foot in front of the other!
Baby steps to glory!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

20 Dec 2000, 18:00 #4

Good one Zep. There is nothing I need to add. Image
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 13 Jul 2009, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

22 Dec 2000, 02:58 #5

Thanks Joel, Nomo & Jitter. I hope it helps Image
Once the hours begin building into full days start taking things ...

Try not to be afraid! There is nothing to fear about coming
home to a place where you begin going entire days without
once thinking about wanting to smoke, chew or dip nicotine!

Yes you can, yes you have, yes you are!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

03 Jan 2001, 23:05 #6

To supplement this post:

"Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME" This concept is taught by almost all programs which are devoted to dealing with substance abuse or emotional conflict of any kind. The reason that it is so often quoted is that it is universally applicable to almost any traumatic situation.

Dealing with quitting smoking is no exception. Along with NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!, ONE DAY AT A TIM is the key technique which gives the smoker the strength to successfully quit smoking and stay free from the powerful grip of nicotine dependence.

When first quitting, the concept of ONE DAY AT A TIME is clearly superior to the smoker thinking that he will never smoke again for the rest of his life. For when the smoker is first giving up smoking, he does not know whether or not he wants to go the rest of his life without smoking. Most of the time the smoker envisions life as a non-smoker as more stressful, painful, and less fun.

It is not until he quits smoking that he realizes his prior thoughts of what life is like as a non-smoker were wrong. Once he quits he realizes that there is life after smoking. It is a cleaner, calmer, fuller and, most important, healthier life. Now the thought of returning to smoking becomes a repulsive concept. Even though the fears have reversed, the ONE DAY AT A TIME technique should still be maintained.

Now, as an ex-smoker, he still has bad moments every now and then. Sometimes due to stress at home or work, or pleasant social situations, or to some other undefinable trigger situation, the desire for a cigarette surfaces. All he needs to do is say to himself, I won't smoke for the rest of today; tomorrow I will worry about tomorrow. The urge will be over in seconds, and the next day he probably won't even think of a cigarette.

But ONE DAY AT A TIME should not only be practiced when an urge is present. It should be practiced daily. Sometimes an ex-smoker thinks it is no longer important to think in these terms. He goes on with the idea he will not smoke again for the rest of his life. Assuming he is correct, when does he pat himself on the back for achieving his goal. When he is lying on his death bed he can enthusiastically proclaim, "I never smoked again." What a great time for positive reinforcement.

Every day the ex-smoker should wake up thinking that he is not going to smoke that day. And every night before he goes to sleep he should congratulate himself for sticking to his goal. Because pride is important in staying free from cigarettes. Not only is it important, but it is well deserved. For anyone who has quit smoking has broken free from a very powerful addiction. For the first time in years, he has gained control over his life, rather than being controlled by his cigarette. For this, he should be proud.

So tonight, when you go to sleep, pat yourself on the back and say, "Another day without smoking, I feel great." And tomorrow when you wake up, say, "I am going to try for another day. Tomorrow I will deal with tomorrow." To successfully stay free from smoking, TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

leslie

05 Jan 2001, 03:53 #7

WOW!! That hit home..just found this thread..on my fourth day and just wanted to say how amazing you all are for taking the time to seriously help and educate all us newbies and everyone else!! It is making this experience so much more enlightening and I have quit for good!!Thanks..Leslie[the grump feeling happier]

John (Gold)

06 Jan 2001, 05:09 #8

Image Image
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

NYPam

07 Jan 2001, 13:43 #9

I have to say that making it to the top of the mountain ((yes, I am afraid of heights, John!)) is what I strive to achieve. i have made it for 4 days ( (I am not concerned of the minutes and hours )) I want to be smoke free..I want to be healthy, and happy. I am tired of going out on the porch to smoke...or worse yet to be on a date and not feel comfortable because "he" is not a smoker. Being a non-smoker is a plus, I want that for me. One hour??? one minute??? I am serious but am afraid that some emotion will yield its ungly head and I will weaken and make excuses. Tell us we are doing ok.'I need to hear that.' Tonight was a challenge. I made it smoke free... I am on my way... but I am weak, believe it or not.

spnas

17 Jan 2001, 22:12 #10

It is my experience this works one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time. :-) I now believe I never have to take another puff!!!!!!!

ODAT
Scott P.

One week, one day, 10 hours, 8 minutes and 1 second. 168 coffin nails not smoked, saving $20.14. Time stole from the Grim Reaper: 14 hours, 0 minutes.