Focus on Quitting for Just One Hour

mela

31 Jan 2001, 01:39 #11

Image this is good reading! i'm printing it so that i may read it again and to share with my son and daughter! hugs and thanks! mela (2nd day of 3rd wk of glorious freedom and feeling great!!!!)
Last edited by mela on 24 Jul 2009, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mari (GOLD)

17 Feb 2001, 04:22 #12

Zep, thank you for starting this thread. I'd just posted to Suzanne that I was going into the library looking for this, but I didn't have a clue where it was. I knew I'd read it before, though. I'm printing the whole thing out and putting it into my notebook.Image

Linda, thanks for the poem. Maybe we should look at the mountain top as a destination, not an obstacle. Image

Ah-h-h-h now with the time saved not having to search for this article, I'm going to relax, breathe deep, read and highlight (I'm an excellent highlighter-er).

Thanks to the entire staff for your dedication to all of us.Image

A 2 Day Quitter, Mari

Fat Tony GOLD

17 Feb 2001, 04:30 #13

I have to disagree with the 72 hour rule. My last quit ended because of it. 72 hours was definently not the top of the mountain for me. I think telling people that it will get easier after just 3 days might do more harm than good. It took me about a week to get to the top..."**** week" is a more appropriate rule of thumb. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!

1 month 1week 16hours

John (Gold)

17 Feb 2001, 05:41 #14

Hi Tony! Your last quit didn't end because of some 72 hour rule Image Your last quit ended because Tony wanted his drug back! No doubt, physical withdrawal symptoms are a bit different for each of us but the "72 hours" isn't a rule of tumb it's a rule of halves. The half-life of nicotine in the human body is about two hours and the blood of EVERY quitter will test negative for nicotine by the 72 mark. You're right though, when we reach the mountain top we still have to come down!

Was your last quit here with us at Freedom Tony? Did you happen to keep a crave log? It's fascinating exploring old quits as they are wonderful teachers! Regarding the crave that you decided to feed nicotine during your last quit, do you recall the details surrounding your defeat? We've got some recent **** week crave studies cited around here somewhere and the numbers are very interesting. I'll try to find it and pull up the thread for you! Congratulations on this newest quit! Stay the boss! YQB, Zep

Fat Tony GOLD

17 Feb 2001, 06:18 #15

Zep...I came to whyquit.com three days before I quit and received the education from your articles that helped be successfull..at least so far. But all my other quits ended because I was under the impression that it took just two weeks or one month or in the last of my quits 72 hour for the nicotine to no longer be a factor. In other word I thought since a certain amount of time had passed that I was no longer addicted and began smoking again because I chose to. Now, thanks to you, I realize that I will always have cravings. I will never be a non smoker, but I will always be a ex-smoker.
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF
1MONTH, 1WEEK, 18HOURS

John (Gold)

17 Feb 2001, 07:22 #16

Tony, Tony, Tony, I'll buy you a soda if you can find where Zep or WhyQuit says...
"Now, thanks to you, I realize that I will always have cravings. "
Nothing could be further from the truth Tony!
Tony, if you keep going strong you you will soon live in complete comfort. I can see that you haven't been there yet Image Gee, are you in for a treat. These are my stats Tony: I have now been free and healing for 1 Year 9 Months 21 Hours 58 Minutes 24 Seconds, there should be an extra 38,574 cigarettes somewhere, and I have not had a real crave in 1 Year and 7 Months. It was about day 60 for me Tony but I really pushed it hard in both my mind (positive thinking) and in attacking the reconditioning of my triggers. I've challenged hundreds of cold turkey quitters both here and at other support sites Tony and I have yet to meet a single quitter who has not experienced their first day of total and complete comfort (zero craves and no "thoughts" about having a cigarette) by day 90. If you go back through Freedom's old posts, I've made this challenge at least 20 times here. I'm sure I'll meet one someday but I' haven't had a taker yet.
What you might be thinking about is "thoughts" and not craves. Craves are loaded with anxiety and reach a peak whereas "thoughts" don't hurt a bit Image, just sort of stay there, and we're in total control of when they enter our mind and when they leave. Think about your favorite food and then immediately start thinking about something else. Smoking thoughts are no different!
Each long term smoker has millions of memories of their relationship with tobacco and nicotine, just like with any other old relationship. My dad says things like, "Oh I still have a crave for a cigarette every couple of years." But then I quiz him. "Did it hurt Dad or did it drive ya crazy?" "No," he says, "I just thought about having a cigarette." LOL It probably was some remote unusual trigger that brought back the memory of smoking that said to him, "a cigarette sure would taste good right now," but if we must call it a crave, in no way did it compare to those that you've been experiencing. Your crave generator is dying!
Around here we get hurricane scares each year (Charleston, SC). A real hurricane (>74 mph sustained winds) is akin to a **** week type crave. Mine each reminded me of Hugo in 89! But the "thoughts" that ex-smokers have a year down the road couldn't even be considered a stiff breeze! Sure, there are bumps in the road for many but comfort does arrive and it does become the norm in your life! Chin up Tony!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Mar 2014, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

24 Feb 2001, 22:19 #17

The next few minutes are all that matter and each is doable!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

happycamper 67

11 Mar 2001, 06:29 #18

being an avid backpacker, this analogy rings clear.
thanks for the perspective, zep!
maggie

Triin (GOLD)

15 Mar 2001, 04:12 #19

Wow, it's so cool...
I'm eating my elephant
one bite at a time :-)
Triin
I have been Quit for: 3W 2D 21h 28m 52s. I have NOT smoked 477, for a savings of $32.85. Life Saved: 1D 15h 45m.
Last edited by Triin (GOLD) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

21 Mar 2001, 21:11 #20

Do it for you! No one else!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Jul 2009, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.