Fixating on a cigarette.

Retraining the conscious mind

Fixating on a cigarette.

Joel

16 Jun 2002, 19:55 #1

What happens to some people is when off a certain time period they start fixating on a cigarette. By that I mean they forget all the bad cigarettes they ever smoked, they forget the ones they smoked without ever really thinking about them even at the time they were being smoked, and they start to remember and focus on one good cigarette. It may be one the smoked 20 years earlier but it was a good one and they are now wanting one again. A common tactic is the ex-smoker will try to tell himself or herself that he or she does not really want that good cigarette. Well, the problem is at that moment he or she does want it. An internal debate erupts, "I want one, no I don't, one sounds great, not it doesn't, oh just one, not just one!" The problem is that if the ex-smoker focus on one there is no clear winning side. The ex-smoker needs to change the internal discussion.

Don't say that you don't want one when you do, rather acknowledge the desire but ask yourself, do I want the others that go with it. Then do I want the package deal that goes with the others? The expense, social stigma, smell, health effects, possible loss of life. Do you want to go back to smoking, full fledged, until it cripples and kills you? Stated like this it normally is not a back and forth debate. The answer will normally be, "No I don't want to smoke under these terms, and these are the only terms a cigarette comes with.

Normally if viewed like this the debate is over with almost immediately after pulled into focus. Again, if the focus is only on one, you can drive yourself nuts throughout the whole day. If they focus on the whole package deal, you will walk away from the moment relieved to still be smoke free and sufficiently reinforced to never take another puff!

Joel

Suekickbutt (GOLD)

18 Jun 2002, 18:40 #2

I like this one - this is how I have gotten myself through some bad moments

Thanks

Sue

I am hijacking this post a little to add in links to videos that relate to this article:

Fixating on a cigarette
The fallacy of "good cigarettes"
"I want one!"
Last edited by Suekickbutt (GOLD) on 11 Mar 2017, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.

blondie (green )

18 Jun 2002, 19:25 #3

Joel,
This is exactly what has been happening to me the last week. And, I was having the exact conversation with myself about THE ONE.

Thanks so much for this timely post . I will use this strategy on myself and see if I can stop this cycle of madness.

Ruth
1M4D

DubiouslyDos

18 Jun 2002, 21:58 #4

Having read this and other articles here.....I've been pretty busy this week reminding myself that one puff, one cigarette will ruin my quit. I keep telling myself that when it came to nicotine....one was never an option. A 28 year habit is what I'm here to kick, but boy oh boy, your mind sure will mess with you! Still clicking along nicotine free....aiming for the green...1 day at a time.

Dos (Dubious) :^)
HoooooHawwwwww!
2 Weeks, 6 Days, 22 Hours, 58 Minutes

Eileen D (GOLD)

18 Jun 2002, 22:12 #5

Joel I really needed this post today so thank you very much.After smoking for 41 years I have to say that my quit was much easier than I thought it would be with regards to cravings but sometimes I think I will suffer from junkie thoughts for the rest of my life.

One month, two weeks, three days, 5 hours, 35 minutes and 26 seconds. 1446 cigarettes not smoked, saving $217.05. Life saved: 5 days, 30 minutes.

angieoo9

19 Jul 2002, 20:04 #6

oh boy did i ever need to read this right now!
My quit has been going along swimmingly, i have found it not easy but i can deal with the cravings,
however i am now dealing with a massive craving that is still going on now. I have been fine all morning, until i came to put the grocery shopping away, I hate this job and always used to smoke through it, but i have put the shopping away before during this quit and not felt like this? Why now? I am feeling stressed as well cos the kids are off school now for the summer. anyway i am reading and eating toffees and i wont take another puff
Angie
One month, one week, 14 hours, 4 minutes and 21 seconds. 1127 cigarettes not smoked, saving £140.95. Life saved: 3 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes.

Juanjuanjuanjuanjuan200

24 Jul 2002, 23:28 #7

A new day, a new lesson. I have benn thinking so much about that sigle cigarrette. That one that ones fixates. I am an addict, and today I learn that one cigarrettes brings a trail of many others, hateful ones.

Juan
1m1w6d without nicotine.

John (Gold)

22 Aug 2002, 22:22 #8

If you're here with us and reading this thread then for you, like us, there is no such thing as just one!
Look at your quit stats meter if you have one. How many nicotine feedings does it say you've skipped? Don't try and picture just one but instead picture trying to fit the smoke from that many cigarettes back into your lungs because that's what is coming and more! We're not fighting a whole cigarette but only one puff - that's all it will take for us to trade places with our dependency that is currently under arrest. John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 08 Jul 2009, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

29 Sep 2002, 20:19 #9

There is no such thing as just one.
Instead, fixate upon all of them!
You deserve self honesty!

How many butts did you kiss each day?
Picture trying to fit just one week's worth of
mandatory feedings into your mouth all at once
because should we take even a single hit of nicotine
that up to 50% of your brain's a4b2-type of acetylcholine
receptors will become occupied by nicotine, stealing a
dopamine sensation that will soon have your brain begging
for more. Picture the thousands upon thousands that
will follow.
The next few minutes are all that matter and each is doable!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 08 Jul 2009, 12:37, edited 3 times in total.

ALONETEARDROP

02 Oct 2002, 09:45 #10

oh my goodness joel, this is just what i needed. i've been clean 6 wks and 2 days and not knowing it, have been fixating...im printing up your message and taping to my bathroom mirror. what we cant do alone, we can do together. thanks, all of you. gods blessings.