Finding Cigarettes

hwc5

09 Jun 2008, 13:37 #11

I didn't share this story last week when I posted about my first car trip (7 hours each way) as an ex-smoker. I was really pleased that I never once felt an urge to smoke during that entire trip. Hour after hour in the car, no urges to fight off.

But, maybe the most telling moment came at a rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike. As I was walking in to get a cup of coffee, I looked down and someone had dropped a pack of cigarrettes, with a matchbook neatly tucked inside the cellophane. I never gave a moment's thought to reaching down or them. Why? Because I'm an ex-smoker. I will never take another puff.

annD2121

30 Jul 2008, 22:13 #12

I just watched this video again. It is one of my favorites. Before my quits have always failed because I have either found cigarettes around the house or someone has offered me one. My husband keeps a pack in his glovebox. He doesn't smoke. We live out in the country and everytime I tried to quit before and failed he has had those in his glovebox so he wouldn't have to go out in the middle of the night, 30 miles away and get me a fix. They are still there. When I had my meltdown a few days into my quit, I knew they were there, a few feet away in the driveway. After that passed and I didn't smoke, I knew this quit was going to stick. That pack is still in his glove box. I guess he is not ready to let go of it yet. The good news is... I am. NTAP

Joel

29 Oct 2008, 23:52 #13

From the string a Short funny clinic story

A couple of years ago I had a clinic graduate relate an incident to me. He had come in the third night of one of my clinics for reinforcement after he had been off for a number of months. He told me that a couple of days earlier he found himself tempted to have a cigarette. He was in a men's room at his work where he saw a a single cigarette (his brand) and a lighter sitting on top of the urinal and all of a sudden thought to himself how tempting it was and how easy it would be to just light the cigarette and take a puff. I asked him when was the last time he ever saw anything else on a urinal in a men's room that he was somehow tempted to put into his mouth. At that he smiled and said, "point well taken." He has been fine since that realization.

Joel Spitzer

23 Jan 2009, 15:36 #14

I noticed some of the posts on this recovery board have not been viewed by any member since we moved our site. This post had no views yet. Now it is possible that new members are reading the materials at www.whyquit.com which is great. There are however numerous articles that we had at the old MSN board and now also at this new site that are not at the www.whyquit.com website. I will try to pop a few up a day for new members, but I do encourage people first joining to to through the boards that we have set up here and read through the articles. The more you read and understand, the more prepared you will be when encountering awkward times such as finding a pack or other kinds of unexpected triggers to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

hwc

25 Apr 2009, 19:18 #15

So, I'm going through some stuff, cleaning up closets and so forth. I find a box that has some leftover Christmas stuff from 16 months ago right before I quit smoking -- cards, some wrapping paper, a few trinket type gifts that never got put up (football decals, etc.). All the sudden, what do I find in the bottom of the bag?

A pack of souvenir cigarettes from my college daughter who had just returned from a trip to China bringing souvenir Chinese gifts. Fancy gold foil box, embossed with the Shanghai skyline. Very fancy. First time I had held a pack of cigarettes since I tossed my last two packs in February a year ago.

I chuckled, imagining some soon-to-be relapser thinking "just one won't hurt" right... But, I've read the One Puff Files too many times to fall for that junkie thinking nonsense. Instead, I visualize Joel doing a video on what to do when you find the souvenir cigarettes your daughter brought back to her nicotine addict dad from China...

I marched them straight out to the garage and tossed 'em in the trash. Actually, I didn't even have any reaction to holding a pack of cigarettes. No desire to open them. Even holding a pack of cigarettes didn't trigger any desire to smoke! Yippee. That's a far cry from the empty pack I found in my car a few weeks after I quit, a discovery that sent electricity shooting up my spine. Glad I didn't find this pack of Chinese cigarettes in my closet back then!

But, ex-smokers don't keep cigarettes, even if they are in a fancy souvenir pack. I e-mailed my daughter and confessed that I had just thrown away a present from her. I think she'll understand.

After smoking for 35+ years, I quit cold turkey One Year, Two Months, Fourteen Days, 14 Hours and 16 Minutes ago. By breaking my active nicotine addiction, I've not purchased and smoked 8792 cigarettes that would have cost me $2,238.17. They tell me I've extended my life expectancy by 30 Days and 12 Hours as a result of quitting when I did.
Last edited by hwc on 25 Apr 2009, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

14 Oct 2011, 16:15 #16

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 03 Aug 2012, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.