False Associations

Subconscious use cue extinguishment

False Associations

JoeJFree Gold

18 Nov 2005, 01:34 #1

On my drive to work this morning I passed a crew in front of a farmhouse that just sold. Looks like the old place is gonna get a new roof. A few guys were standing by their trucks in the chilly 20 degree dawn air. The wind driven snowflakes had to sting their faces. Why weren't they waiting in the truck? Several had cigs dangling from their mouths. A lit bit of tobacco hanging there, smoldering just inches from their nose and eyes.

WHY?

Why would anyone have a nearly 2000 degree fire that close to his or her face?Image

Nearly all of the justifications active smokers / tobacco users use to continue their "habit" are based on False Associations. Our reactive thought processes have been programmed with False information and we've formed Associations based on those untruths.

An example? Sure. A False Association founded in my childhood was that physical labor, like those roofers were about to engage in, required the use of tobacco. Whether in a mine, on a tractor in a field, on a factory floor or up on a roof physical labor necessitated the 'extra strength' gained by smoking or chewing tobacco. Why else would you breathe in smoke or swallow sour tobacco juice that makes you dizzy while you were exerting yourself so greatly?! Smoking or chewing tobacco gave you a boost! RIGHT? My Grandpas, coal miners both, always either smoked or chewed tobacco when performing any task - whether it was working in their gardens or changing a tire (or reading a book for that metter) - they'd have a smoldering cig dangling from their lips, just like those guys I saw this morning. Did it help them work any better? Not really as lots of times they had to stop to cough or blink tears away when the smoke went up their nose or stung their eyes. That stinging, burning, choking sensation should have been a clue. Why didn't they or I take the hint?!

False Associations

Even though limited nowadays tobacco advertising aims to create False Associations in the target of the ads. I also seems that the younger the viewer the better the target as almost all tobacco advertising is youth culture oriented. Tobacco users are portrayed as Rugged or Fun-Loving or Sexy or Outdoorsy or physically active scaling a mountain or frolicking in the surf at a beach. It is a False Association to link smoking with these attributes and activities. False Associations all!

Nicotine addicts require only one thing, an uninterrupted supply of the psychoactive agent. Those guys I saw standing around this morning might just as well have had an IV drip of nicotine solution keeping their blood serum level at the 'right' level, temporarily keeping withdrawal symptoms at bay. However, walking around with the stand on wheels and a needle in their arm would make it much harder to get the work done. So, needing nicotine to feed their addiction, they deliver the new doses by puffing or dipping tobacco.

When you strip away the False Association & cloaking images portrayed in tobacco ads in magazines or billboards, inserted into movies or music videos what's left?

When we look beneath the carefully calculated images that are meant to ingrain False Associations in our memory banks what do we see?

We see cigarette smoking, tobacco chewing or any form of nicotine ingestion (patches, pills, powders or potions whether prescribed or OTC) for what it REALLY is. A means to temporarily stave off constant craving and delay withdrawal another 30 to 60 minutes. A means to an end. Consuming nicotine by using dangerous delivery devices. All the while feeding this fearsome addiction which slowly, constantly, inexorably kills the user a little more quickly with each dose delivered.

The truth about tobacco use a.k.a smoking?

There are no 'Smokers' or 'Chewers' there are only ADDICTS!

If you have not joined all of us here who have arrested our addiction give yourself a chance to LIVE free of the constant need to feed your body and brain nicotine. You weren't (supposed to be) born with it, You don't need it to live, and we promise that after a relatively short while you won't miss it once you decide on living a natural, nicotine-free life & choose to just Never Take Another Puff!

JoeJ
Free - born a nicotine addict and now an ex-smoker for 10 months, 7 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes and 33 seconds (311 days).
I've not had to buy & consume 7777 Nicotine delivery sticks, and saved $1,555.83.
I've reclaimed 27 days and 6 minutes to live as I Choose,Image that's the best part of my gift to me.
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 15 May 2013, 15:28, edited 3 times in total.

ZZRSteve GOLD

18 Nov 2005, 06:14 #2

They didn't have I.V.s or such because that wouldn't look "cool" and in fact, injesting nicotine by smoke may be a more effective delivery method anyway.

The myth....coooooool....

The reality...one of many....emphysema
Last edited by ZZRSteve GOLD on 08 Jul 2009, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

20 Jan 2006, 20:22 #3

There are so many 'False Association' bricks we use to help us build our wall of denial to keep our destructive addictive behaviors safe from the truth.
Some that I can readily think of have been mentioned by others
  • I Must smoke a cigarette after a meal.
  • I Must smoke a cigarette when I get behind the wheel of my car to drive somewhere (also applied as a passenger if the driver allowed it).
  • I must smoke when an intermission break is given in a play

Are there other Strong yet False Associations we held for so long that after removing nicotine from our chemical make-up prove to no longer hold true?

I'd love to hear more about this from all of you.

What False Associations did you carry around to help preserve your justification for addiction?

JoeJ - Free for over a year and no longer delusional about why I inhaled the acrid smoke or swallowed the sour juice of tobacco nearly 3 MILLION times.
I did it because I'm a nicotine Addict! NTAP!
I've got no strings and I'm so glad
No strings at all to make me sad
I had strings but now I'm free,
There are no strings on me
Oh, hi-ho, the way we go
I'm as happy as can be
I want the world to know
Nothing ever worries me!
I've got no strings so I have fun
I'm not tied up to anyone
How I love my liberty, there are no strings on me!
No false ties to bind me, it's now easy to find me,
'Cause I've got no strings on me!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 30 Dec 2010, 15:13, edited 3 times in total.

CindyL 106

20 Jan 2006, 20:42 #4

Joe J.
Here's another incredible false association for you....smoking is glamorous! Image And to think that Bogie died of lung cancer ....If you've ever read Bacall's biography there is a pretty heart rending description of his final days and his struggle...
Here's a quote from the website where I found this picture
"In this, the film often credited with starting a million women smoking, the 19-year-old Bacall actually takes only four drags off her non-filter. But what drags! All from the initial lighting - deeply inhaled and thickly expelled. She blows out a match with one exhale. You can see why others were attracted to the habit."
Boy is that some delusional stuff....Makes me very glad that I have finally seen the truth behind the "glamour"... Smoking is a foul, disgusting, killer ADDICTION and I will NTAP.
Cindy
Last edited by CindyL 106 on 08 Jul 2009, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Em B 12106

02 Feb 2006, 00:52 #5

I've got no strings and I'm so glad
No strings at all to make me sad
I had strings but now I'm free,
There are no strings on me
Oh, hi-ho, the way we go
I'm as happy as can be
I want the world to know nothing ever worries me!
I've got no strings so I have fun
I'm not tied up to anyone
How I love my liberty, there are no strings on me!
No false ties to bind me, it's now easy to find me,
'Cause I've got no strings on me!
ImageExcellent!!! Image Thanks JoeJ Image
- Em
ImageOne week, three days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 5 seconds. 158 cigarettes not smoked, saving $33.62. Life saved: 13 hours, 10 minutes.Image
Last edited by Em B 12106 on 16 Jan 2010, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

03 Mar 2006, 04:54 #6

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 16 Jan 2010, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

MgFeijoo1

04 Mar 2006, 01:33 #7

I believe we all had false associations when we began smoking. When I was 13, I thought if I smoked I would become a beautiful, mature woman, whan I was really only a child without any idea of what I wanted to do or be. I remember I smoked really early, when I went walking to school, on the street, and people stared at me. In that moment I didn't know why, but now, it is the same thing that happens when I see a 13 year old boy or girl smoking on the street, I feel sorry for the mistake they are making, thanks to all the advertising and stereotipes in Mexico, and all over the world, though in Mexico is not as informed as other countries yet.

When I was looking for a web page where I could find information about quitting, I didn't find anything in spanish. Everything I found was in english. I ask myself what happens with people who doesn't speak, read or understand english. I found a group in the National University, but it only has sessions on working weeks during the morning. People like me, who works, can't go there.

In TV they are not advertising any more, not any branch of cigs. In the street I see them less, but there are lots. We need a lot of information too. Two partners at work asked me how I did to stop smoking. I've send them the links to the pages so they can read, and read, an learn about our addiction. They know english as well, thanks God. I really hope I can return in any way this beautiful gift ever.

Marina
1W 6D 9H 20S!! And yes!! NTAP!! Not Ever!!

JoeJFree Gold

20 Apr 2006, 19:36 #8

The truth about tobacco use a.k.a cigarette / pipe smoking or dipping?
There are no 'Smokers' or 'Chewers' there are only ADDICTS!
I wish it was just a nasty little habit
Why do I smoke?

"I smoke because I like smoking!"
"I smoke because I like the flavor"
I am an addict! Hooray!
You smoke because you're a smoke-a-holic

JoeJFree always a nicotine addict and gratefully now an EX-smoker for 1 year, 3 months, 9 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes and 15 seconds (464 days)
I've now reclaimed 40 Days and 8 Hours to live how I choose!Image
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 16 Jan 2010, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

FoolishWorkinj

20 Apr 2006, 20:44 #9

Image Imagethanks, joanne, free for 100 days
Last edited by FoolishWorkinj on 16 Jan 2010, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

forza d animo

20 Apr 2006, 21:45 #10

Image I used to think that working with a cigarette hanging from my mouth made me look, well, like a worker, like my father who I watched work as a carpenter with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. I thought it made me look like a man but as Joe explained so eloquently, it only made me look like a smoker, or more accurately, a nicotine addict.
Joseph
Last edited by forza d animo on 16 Jan 2010, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.