False Associations

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Crystal View1.ffn

23 Apr 2006, 20:35 #11

ImageImageImage
Thanks JoeJ!
Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for One Year, Six Months, Four Days, 23 Hours and 32 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 32 Days and 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9401 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,923.52.
Last edited by Crystal View1.ffn on 16 Jan 2010, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

smokefreeJD Gold

28 Aug 2006, 21:17 #12

Here's a False Association: nicotine is a well-deserved "reward" for just about anything. In fact, it's such a wonderful "reward" that it allows anyone to use that as an excuse. "I deserve it"... "it's my only vice"... "I worked hard today"... "I put up with so much stress I should be allowed to reward myself"... "my husband/wife/son/daughter/neighbor/ex-roommate made me so angry I should be able to light up"...

Jill Image
Kicking Butt for 3 years, 10 months+
Last edited by smokefreeJD Gold on 30 Dec 2010, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

KeithS0

28 Aug 2006, 21:29 #13

That's what was getting me this weekend, "The Big Reward!"
The idea after I finished some job around the house- mowing the grass etc. I deserved to take a break and indulge in a "relaxing smoke". I really am taking it one day at a time.
Smobriety comes to: 0Y 0M 1W 3D 1H 24Mns $-Saved to date: $32.64

danneo8

14 Sep 2006, 03:34 #14

I agree with that "big reward" push by the media. For 40 years I have used that illogical thinking to "give" myself a break after finishing any little job, task or obligation. And the really ridiculous part is I bought into the entire belief system. OH gosh, I just really need this little break. Little did I realize that I did NEED not the little reward or break but the evil nicotene. Yikes! What a fool. So here I am, 16 days in and still fighting that urge to run outside and take a "little break" (with a cig) because I've been hard at it here at work. I may as well run outside and play chicken with the cars passing in front of the building. At least then I could really see the damage caused if I got hit! That's another little creepy thing about smoking. I've been very fortunate in that I've never really had any physical side effects that were visible and everyone thinks I'm in great shape. The scary part is now I know after all my reading here that my insides are a mess (HEALING of course but still a mess) but you'd never know it. Just more of the insiduous devastation that nicotene causes. Just more reason to stay committed to this quit and NTAP. Thanks to everyone for sharing all your insights and experiences. It helps keep me on the straight and narrow. Danneo

JoeJFree Gold

14 Sep 2006, 04:49 #15

Here are a couple more related links:
Are you smoking more and enjoying it less?
Try replacing the word "cigarette" with "nicotine
Wanting vs. thinking, is there a difference?
Breaking links to our crave generator
Did we use nicotine as a 'Reward'?
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 16 Jan 2010, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

dennyb2

15 Sep 2006, 02:53 #16

Joe, in Message 6 you asked:

What False Associations did you carry around to help preserve your justification for addiction?

Minus the tag line here, the Marlboro Man commercials of the past had an everlasting effect on me. I always associated outdoor activities with smoking and how much better these activities were if you smoked while doing them. How's that for backwards (I am an outdoors person) and yet I absolutely believed it was true for a very long time!!
Thanks for continuing to remind us:
The truth about tobacco use a.k.a smoking?

There are no 'Smokers' or 'Chewers' there are only ADDICTS!

Denny B - After 38 years - Free and Healing for Five Months, Twenty Days, 2 Hours and 50 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 21 Days, by avoiding the use of 6059 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,525.61.
Last edited by dennyb2 on 30 Dec 2010, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

10 Oct 2006, 23:09 #17

The first step in recovery is Admitting and Accepting our addiction. You and I did not smoke out of 'habit' for many (some of us over 40) years.
We didn't throw away - were robbed of - tens of thousands of dollars because we felt like it.
We smoked tobacco because we needed to ingest nicotine regularly to sustain our physical & mental addiction to nicotine.
There are many False Associations to break. An important one is getting rid of the stinking thinking were were duped into believing that cigarette smoking is a habit.

As Joel so famously puts it -

"I always state it this way. Treat an addiction as an addiction and a person will learn to control it. Treat an addiction like a bad habit and the person won't have a prayer."

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 16 Jan 2010, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

15 Dec 2006, 05:06 #18

Inhaling the fumes of tobacco smoke &/or sucking in its juices killed or contributed heavily to the unfortunate and untimely DEATHS of nearly all my close relatives in a variety of horrible ways.
Emphysema, lung cancer, liver cancer, prostate cancer, stroke, heart attack, cranial aneuyrsm, congestive heart failure coupled with COPD, ...... etc.
That does not even take into account the years lived in less than optimal health due to continued use of tobacco to maintain their addiction to nicotine.
So I ask you, what part of 'the image' was glamourous enough for any of us to deny the truth and continue killing ourselves for a 'cool' persona?

JoeJFree Gold

23 Mar 2007, 02:46 #19

Nearly all of the justifications active smokers / tobacco users use to continue their "habit" are based on False Associations. Our reactive thought processes have been programmed with False information and we've formed Associations based on those untruths.

Smoking a cigarette makes me calmer before a big interview!
- It also makes you stink like a smoker and may cause you to be disqualified before you ever answer the first question! Besides, after an hour or two of intense stress the active addicts will be in desperate nicotine depletion withdrawal anxiety and unable to concentrate on the issue at hand. The non or ex-smoker however will not be feeling extra anxious due to withdrawal effects and can keep their mind on the interviewers questions - not the door.

Smoking helps me 'Kill' time.
- Smoking tobacco every 60 minutes to keep nicotine levels at optimum - that's really 'killing time'.

Only one reason smokers inhale tobacco smoke - ingest nicotine to feed their addiction.

Only one way to stay free - NTAP!

whiteknucklinnewbie

24 Mar 2007, 06:31 #20

I really like this thread, JoeJ. Thank you for keeping it up.
Amy

---
1m 21:31 smoke-free, 576 cigs not smoked, $72.86 saved, 2d 0:00 life saved