Every Quit is Different.

Joel

19 Dec 2006, 04:13 #31

I saw where a member wrote to another member that there will be rough patches in the future. There is no guarantee that a person will experience rough patches in the future. Such blanket statements can be totally misleading. As this post talks about, every quit is different. There are some people who simply quit one day and never look back and never really seem to experience any tough patches.

Also, people can really minimize the risk of future rough patches by keeping their reasons for first quitting and their reasons for why they still wish to stay off of smoking reinforced. The more accurately a person sees smoking in its true light the more resolute he or she will always stay in his or her commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

05 Feb 2007, 23:08 #32

It is possible that you won't have any major symptoms this time. I have had a lot of four pack a day smokers who smoked 40 plus years who toss them with minimal withdrawal. The reason they never tried to quit before is they witnessed people who smoked one fourth of what they did go thorough terrible side effects and figured, "If it did that to them, it will kill me." But when the time came, their quit was easy in comparison. You may find that this quit will be relatively easy. Stranger things have happened. But if it does, don't think this didn't mean you were addicted. The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.

Just Hannes

07 Aug 2007, 23:18 #33

I reacted to a member which had a question about her anger. I too experienced that anger issue after about the same period. But my wife who quit 2 months after me never had any problem with her temper/emotions.

Frits (8 months)

John (Gold)

18 Sep 2007, 07:29 #34

Yes, this quit is probably different but ....
Although not at all unusual to see a quitter having what can be termed a "cake-walk" quit, don't lull yourself into minimizing your dependency or your accomplishment as there's absolutely no guarantee that, should you relapse, your next attempt would go the same. What is it that allows the conscious thinking mind to so calm and quiet the impulsive limbic mind that the objective of coming home is initially met with little or no resistence? What dreams could be so great or awakening so powerful that no smoking urge, crave, impulse or desire seems to grow bigger than a stiff breeze?
Drug addiction is about inventing lies to get our drug back. For us it's rationalizing, minimizing or engaging in blame transference to invent reason to smoking, chew or dip nicotine, to give the rational thinking mind justification for again surrendering to our chemically captive impulsive primitive mind. Don't let "easy" or "hard" be your mind's excuse to relapse.
Whether touched by serious challenge, your own inner dreams and desires or moved by stories such as Kim's, Bryan's, or Noni's, never forget that the true test of nicotine's power isn't in how hard it is to quit but how easy it is to relapse. Still just one guiding principle ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew!
John x8
Last edited by John (Gold) on 07 Mar 2009, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

forza d animo

13 Oct 2007, 03:41 #35

We need to take care not to make generalizations when replying to the posts of others, especially early in our quits. Every quit is different, every quitter is different and so is every trigger or situation. Quitting is not always difficult nor is it always easy. It is what it is.

Living nicotine free is a long term commitment to living one day at a time. While we can learn from the experiences of others we should not assume that everyone will react the same way to every situation or that we will recover at the same rate or that because a certain trigger or period of time was difficult for us it will be difficult for all.

Joseph

Roger (Gold)

28 Jan 2008, 02:30 #36

Image Don't fall into the trap of comparing your progress with that of others. Your comfort will come as long as you never violate the Law of Addiction.

Joel

03 Apr 2008, 23:11 #37

It is possible that you won't have any major symptoms this time. I have had a lot of four pack a day smokers who smoked 40 plus years who toss them with minimal withdrawal. The reason they never tried to quit before is they witnessed people who smoked one fourth of what they did go thorough terrible side effects and figured, "If it did that to them, it will kill me." But when the time came, their quit was easy in comparison.

You may find that this quit will be relatively easy. Stranger things have happened. But if it does, don't think this didn't mean you were addicted. The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.

hwc5

17 Dec 2008, 16:49 #38

Even the same quit is different! People ask, "when do the craves stop"?

At least for me, there was no black and white cut off date. There came a time when I would go days, even weeks, without a crave, and then some "first time trigger" would come along and I'd find myself reaching for the imaginary pack of cigarettes in my shirt pocket. Pure reflex. A crave? I guess some people would call it that.

Quitting is such a dynamic process that it's really hard to make definitive statements, other than the fact that it seems to generally get better and easier and more comfortable as the months go by.

Joel Spitzer

04 Nov 2014, 23:15 #39

New video based on this thread:
Every quit is different

Video discusses how it is impossible to determine with any certainty what kind of withdrawals or problems a person may encounter when quitting because every quit is different.

Related videos:

Comparing quits with others

Amount smoked

The fear of failure

"If I relapse I'll smoke until it kills me"

Quitting is more doable than most people think

What is withdrawal really like?