Emotional Loss Experienced from Quitting Smoking

The emotions that flow from nicotine cessation
BillW Gold.ffn

16 Jan 2005, 23:27 #41

Hi RickD, and welcome to Freedom! Image

Fantasy cigarettes sound like the Bargaining phase of grieving for your addiction. It means that your quit is progressing, and you are healing.... just remember to win the argument against that inner voice that says "just one...".

John (Gold)

19 Feb 2005, 06:53 #42

There's a rose bud slowly opening and it's you!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Mar 2009, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

25 Mar 2005, 23:22 #43

• Not one tastebud inside either lung, where we intentionally sucked smoke
  • No love lost for the 43 carcinogens in each puff
  • No love for any of the 4,000 non-flavor chemicals
  • No love when we waited too long and badly needed a fix
  • No love for having interrupted some of life's best moments to leave and feed
  • No love for paying our own money to slowly destroy a bit more of our body's ability to receive and transport life-giving oxygen
  • No love for killing ourself 13 to 14 years early
  • Knowledge that 100% of cigarette flavor additives are still available in non-addictive form
  • Knowledge that the more than 200 neurochemicals we used nicotine to steal were each already ours.
  • Knowledge that arresting our chemical dependency and returning neurochemical control to us and life is as basic as no nicotine just one day at a time, to Never Take Another Puff!
  • An appreciation for the fact that every cessation related sensation we experience during this amazing temporary journey of re-adjustment is part of our healing at the physical (re-sensitization), subconscious (trigger re-conditioning) or conscious level (an opportunity to shed honest light on years of denial rationalizations, minimizations and blame transference).
  • The honest realization that with each passing day the challenges will gradually become fewer, shorter in duration and generally less intense.
  • An understanding that should we experience a few days during early recovery without significant challenge that we will naturally drop our coping defenses, and when a challenge is at last encountered it may feel more intense - a wonderful sign that the gaps between challenges are widening.
Our dependency is now under arrest.
Free and healing, the next few moments are doable!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 17 Mar 2009, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

BillW Gold.ffn

19 Apr 2005, 00:27 #44

For MaryMac, with my condolences.

I have also lost loved ones, and the process of grieving the loss of a loved one is very similar to the process of "grieving" the loss of an addiction.

In both cases, you really can't go back. You can't allow yourself to become stuck in one phase forever, either.

The way out is the way through. God be with you.

BillW

whosthisitsmesilly

23 Mar 2006, 00:40 #45

Ive had all the stages. The last one was depression What for? I used the tools i have read on here to cope with it and use logic. Especialy when i have been out with friends who smoke and ive had a drink with. I think its coping being me now ! without nicotine. I have accepted its an addiction and i dont need nicotine. I can live life and enjoy it without nicotine.

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 16 hours, 41 minutes and 12 seconds (14 days). I have saved £60.98 by not smoking 293 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 08/03/2006 00:00
cathy Image

chel

12 Apr 2006, 18:46 #46

I thought I had acceptance but yesterday and today Ive been dipping into depression
all the great education on here and my head (addict) is telling me Ill never be happy without cigs.boy do I know that one and of course smoking does not make me happyI have been quit for 4 Weeks, 2 Days, 5 hours, 46 minutes and 3 seconds (30 days). I have saved £78.62 by not smoking 302 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 1 hour and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 13/03/2006 06:00

JoeJFree Gold

22 Oct 2006, 02:25 #47

If you have not yet read Joel's Library from cover to cover at least once then now is a great time. Don't skip the "Why Do People Smoke" chapter as it's loaded with pearls of wisdom on a host of logical yet faulty rationalizations. The chapter is a wonderful aid in helping sort through years of often less than honest thinking.
Baby steps! The next few minutes are entirely doable and there is only one rule - no nicotine, not a puff! Everything you did while dependent upon nicotine you can do as well as or better as "you!" I know it's hard to believe right now but before long you'll see that it's much much easier being a comfortable and relaxed ex-smoker than it ever was feeding nicotine's never ending two-hour chemical half-life! Just one rule ... no nicotine just one hour, challenge and day at a time. The next few minutes are all that matter and each is entirely do-able!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John

Joel

25 Nov 2006, 03:46 #48

The video version of this thread:
The emotional stages of loss Dial UP
3.05mb
HS/BB
30.4mb
Audio
1.23mb
Length
08:18
09/28/06

VICKIGOLD2006

23 Feb 2007, 03:26 #49

This is the thread that made this all possible for me...thanks JoelImage

ImageVICKI - Free and Healing for Six Months, Nineteen Days, 21 Hours and 56 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 14 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4078 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $925.35.

JoeJFree Gold

14 Mar 2007, 03:21 #50

From Paragraph 9 of the initial post by Joel:

.....What does all this have to do with why people don't quit smoking? People who attempt to give up smoking go through these five stages. They must successfully overcome each specific phase to deal with the next. Some people have particular difficulty conquering a specific phase, .......