Emotional Loss Experienced from Quitting Smoking

The emotions that flow from nicotine cessation
ComicForces GOLD

20 Mar 2003, 03:38 #21

NOT to be a pain with 3 posts in a row but I found some really good threads pertaining specifically to this bridge between depression and acceptance in the Depression Board as Bill suggested...

Thanks.

CF
3 weeks, 5 days without a single puff

BillW Gold.ffn

20 Mar 2003, 03:40 #22

Hi ComicForces:
From the year I've spent here, I've watched people completely walk away from smoking once physical withdrawal was done. One week. Ten days. I personally was well through the progression by six weeks to two months. I'm one of those who finds it useful to take an antidepressant.... did you know an absurdly high percentage of mental patients smoke? And which came first? The mental illness or the smoking. The new thinking is that the smoking may be the cause of some of this.
But at the high end, watch bronze and silver celebrations. Occasionally you will find a Silver who is still struggling.... very, very occasionally. Go back into the Milestones board and read what people say in their celebration posts. Double green. Bronze. Silver. You'll get a good idea of the spread involved.
But more to the point..... how long will it take for you? That seems to largely depend on attitude, on a shift in your belief system from being a "quitter" to being an "ex-smoker". Acceptance, the last stage, depends on how long it will take you to stop grieving the death of our "good friend"......
You can do this! You are doing it! And it will get better..... I'd have relapsed months ago if not.
BillW One year, one month, one week, four days, 5 hours . 12127 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,395.10. Life saved: 6 weeks, 2 hours, 35 minutes.
Last edited by BillW Gold.ffn on 10 Apr 2009, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

20 Mar 2003, 03:51 #23

It was not meant to be misleading. The part you quote was:

"Within two weeks the addiction is broken and, hopefully, the stages are successfully overcome and, finally, life goes on."

The fact is that within two weeks the addiction is broken. By that I mean the body no longer has any need for nicotine to alleviate physical withdrawal symptoms. The second part said, "hopefully," the stages are successfully overcome."

I wrote this piece for my clinic graduates who generally do overcome most of these emotional adjustments quite quickly. I spend a lot of clinic time making sure that people work in developing a proper attitude. I spend quite a bit of time destroying all kind of denial strategies, rationalizations and mind games that people often play with themselves when they quit on their own.

If not for this focus, some people could have dragged out the emotional stages, in fact some people can go through them the rest of their lives if they are not careful. People who hang on to the idea that they are depriving themselves of smoking or just working on the basis of quitting out of fear from smoking can prolong the emotional ties and thus extend the emotional withdrawal for an indefinate time period.

I think the vast majority of our Freedom members follow the course of most of my clinic graduates too--working on sustaining the kind of focus and attitude to accept the fact that they are glad to be free from smoking. Attitude can make a huge difference in the length of the time period of emotional recovery.

I will bring up a few other articles addressing these concerns. Hopefully people will read them and understand them. Take noticed I said "hopefully." For how hard people work at seeking out and utilizing different tools provided to them is hard to predict. The only thing we can predict with any certainty is that anyone can stay successful ex-smokers forever if they always keep in practice their own commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

OBob Gold

23 May 2003, 08:06 #24

Last edited by OBob Gold on 16 Mar 2009, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

30 Jun 2003, 22:17 #25

An Intense, Dependable and
Destructive
Relationship Has Ended

A long and intense relationship has ended. Although extremely abusive, destructive, costly, and deadly, you depended upon nicotine laden cigarettes (5% of the dry weight of each cigarette) to replenish your falling blood serum nicotineImage level (cut by roughly half every two hours) to keep you from experiencing chemical withdrawal and it never ever once let you down (unless the cigarette was wet, the matches wet, the lighter empty or the pack was empty). The basic chemical bond and the endless need to feed caused you to accumulate a mountain of psychological baggage as you selected and developed patterns and cues for feeding your ever declining nicotine reserves.

Once beyond early chemical withdrawal, look upon the remainder of this temporary journey of adjustment as you would moving beyond the end of any other long and intense relationship. If you were a pack-a-day smoker averaging 8 puffs per cigarette then you sucked up to a nasty smelling but dependable butt 160 times a day, 58,400 times each year. How many times did you say your name last year? How many times did you hug the human you love most? Is it any wonder that it takes a bit of patience and time to adjust to engaging life as "you" again?

Baby steps! The next few minutes are entirely doable and there is only one rule - no nicotine, not a puff! Everything you did while dependent upon nicotine you can do as well as or better as "you!" I know it's hard to believe right now but before long you'll see that it's much much easier being a comfortable and relaxed ex-smoker than it ever was feeding that endless need for more!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Mar 2009, 23:24, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

30 Jul 2003, 20:16 #26

Image Image
The Emotional Journey of Adjustment
Denial - "Who am I kidding, I can't quit!" "My cigarettes are my friend!" "It's too hard!" "Who am I kidding, I can't quit forever!" "It's getting worse not better!" "I won't be me anymore!" "I'm no fun without smoking nicotine!"
Anger - "This isn't easy and it isn't fun but I'm gritting my teeth and doing it!!!" "Get out of my way, Dog!" "Leave me alone, People! "No one seems to appreciate the tremendous sacrifice I'm making, here!!" "I've giving up my entire life here, my happiness, my best friend, and for what!!!" "What do I get, craves and hastles!!!
Bargaining - "Hey, I've quit for a whole day!" "A little reward, just one little puff!" "I've earned it!" "I'm stronger than all those other quitters at Freedom!" "They won't know!" "Even if I do relapse, I think I can do it again!" "But I won't need to, I sure I can handle one big puff of nicotine!" "I'm different!" "Anyway, I'm sure it can't be as nearly addictive as they're all saying!" "They're just trying to scare me!"
Depression - "Well, I've held-out and it looks like I'm going to make it but how can I possibly function without smoking nicotine?" "I don't feel like a smoker anymore and I'm not any comfortable ex-smoker either." "I feel lost and oh so alone." "Is this what it's like being an ex-smoker?" "Is this what it's like being me?"
Acceptance - "Hey, this isn't so bad after all and great tasting coffee too!" "I sort of like all this extra time and the fresh air!" "A passing thought or two when I saw smokers smoking but not a single crave yesterday!" "Amazing, and the quitting chatter that fogged my mind seems to be lifting too!" "Is this me?" "This is good!" "This is far far easier than living life out of a pack!" "I know I can handle any challenge that comes my way!" " This is entirely doable!" "I know with every fiber of my being that I'll never put nicotine back into this body, I'll Never Take Another Puff!"
The next few minutes are doable and only one rule - no nicotine today!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John (Gold)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Mar 2009, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Roger (Gold)

03 Jan 2004, 07:12 #27

Image We all experience emotional changes to some degree or another when we quit. It is a matter of patience and understanding what you are going through. One minute, one hour or one day at a time.

Despite how you may feel during this temporary period of adjustment we call quitting, This journey of healing you have chosen to take is well worth putting up with withdrawal symptoms both physical and psychological.

I, and many others at Freedom will promise you this. The journey gets so much better. What you are possibly feeling at this time is not what it feels like to be a comfortable x-smoker. There is no amount of discomfort you will experience that will overshadow the comfort that will embrace you not so far down the road.

I read a quote that kind of went like this....

" Each and everyone of us will experience some sort of emotiuonal suffering in our lifetime." "How long we allow this suffering to continue is a choice we make."

Joanne Gold

12 Jan 2004, 14:42 #28

Just for today, not one puff, no matter what! Image
Last edited by Joanne Gold on 16 Mar 2009, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

Joanne Gold

28 Jan 2004, 12:43 #29

for nofumaImage
"Bargaining is probably the most dangerous stage in the effort to stop smoking. "Oh boy, I could sneak this one and nobody will ever know it." "Things are really tough today, I will just have one to help me over this problem, no more after that." "Maybe I'll just smoke today, and quit again tomorrow." It may be months before these people even attempt to quit again."

Almost Island Gold

21 Feb 2004, 07:02 #30

Thank you again for all this reading. Emotional loss??? yes, that's it. It's being very tough some moments and now I know it's all in my head.
But I'm beginning to think I'm strong and I'll never take another puff! (everyday I repeat this over and over) and I read, read, read
Fernanda -
Free and Healing for Ten Days and 22 Hours, while extending my life expectancy 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 197 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me0,85 .
Last edited by Almost Island Gold on 16 Mar 2009, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.