Electronic Cigs???

Electronic Cigs???

Toshman

16 Mar 2013, 18:59 #1

Don't know if I'm just not looking in the right place, or maybe there aren't any posts relating to it. So, what's the story with the e-cigs? I'm asking because my wife just refuses
to entertain any thoughts of quitting. I have been waiting almost 10 years for her. Every time I bring up the subject, she changes it. Or does the old "yeah I have to quit" then the subject disappears.
Anybody else have an addicted spouse who won't quit? Are these e-cigs harmful? I imagine it has to be at least less harmful than regular cancer sticks, but I haven't really investigated.

Breathe deeply, stay strong, Rock on, NTAP!

Joel Spitzer

16 Mar 2013, 20:26 #2

Toshman

16 Mar 2013, 21:40 #3

Thanks Joel! Much appreciated and to the point as always.

JohnPolito

16 Mar 2013, 21:54 #4

Toshman, while hundreds of fewer toxins and 81 fewer carcinogens, it may be decades before science learns the long-term consequences of sucking nicotine into the lungs of a person whose body was already compromised by years or decades of tobacco use.  Nicotine is a super toxin, with neonicotinoids a major farm insecticide that's also prime suspect for killing off bees and colony collapse disorder.

ImageWhile promoting alertness via central nervous system stimulation (a major selling point), it is also a super toxin believed to destroy brain gray and white matter.  Via angiogenesis, nicotine both accelerates tumor growth rates and causes hardening of the arteries.  While the list of diseases and conditions associated with nicotine continues to mount, obviously clean nicotine delivery is vastly less destructive than smoking.

But more to the point, we are a nicotine cessation site.  The only time e-cig use comes up around here is when long-term e-cig users arrive seeking help in breaking free. It's what we do.

Clearly, the logical and intelligent move is nicotine cessation.  And while long-term health is massive, to my thinking nicotine dependency's greatest harm isn't in how we eventually die but how each and every hour and day gets lived.   Just like you and me, your wife is a REAL drug addict.  From this forum's perspective the only real question is, on which side of dependency's bars will we live the balance of life?

Sorry we can't be of more help, Toshman, but certainly you understand that we're not here to make folks comfortable about introducing a highly addictive toxin into the body.

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John - Gold x13