Eat, drink and be merry.

Eat, drink and be merry.

Joel

31 Dec 2000, 16:12 #1

Eat, drink and be merry. The holiday season is again upon us. It is the time of year when people celebrate as they reflect on their year's accomplishments and rejoice with their loved ones for all their good fortunes. It is an emotionally rewarding time of year for children and adults alike. Why blow it all on a mistake like taking a cigarette? I must address this issue because many ex-smokers return to their past addiction during the holiday season. While most people fear they will return to smoking due to some horrible crisis, smokers are in fact more prone to take their first puff during a pleasant social encounter, typically after a couple of drinks.

There are two reasons why people are more likely to return to smoking at this time of the year. First, and probably most importantly, alcohol consumption, which is characteristically higher during the holidays, can trigger a very strong desire to take one cigarette. Smokers and ex-smokers alike strongly associate alcohol and cigarettes. The reason for this association is the physiological effect of alcohol on the urine pH level. Alcohol makes the urine more acidic than normal. Whenever the acidity of the urine is increased the excretion rate of nicotine is dramatically accelerated. Since the smoker is in a constant battle to maintain a high level of nicotine in the bloodstream, this physiological effect leads to increased cigarette consumption, and hence, a conditioned response between cigarettes and alcohol. This, in addition to the fact that alcohol can lower your level of inhibition, can create an atmosphere ripe for experimenting with one cigarette. Unfortunately, this kind of experimentation can be a tragic mistake. Instead of just smoking one cigarette, the first puff usually reinforces the full fledged addiction, sending the person back to the old multiple pack per day, deadly habit.

Another holiday situation which often triggers the response for taking the first puff is dealing with people and situations you have not encountered as an ex-smoker. The first time you take part in any new experience as an ex-smoker can create a powerful urge, similar to those encountered during the initial quitting process. Handle the urges the same way you did during those first few days without smoking. Take it one day at a time! By the next day, instead of fighting the urge you will be wondering how you could ever have considered taking one. You will be eternally thankful that you didn't give in.

Lets start out the New Year right. Be especially careful this holiday season. Have a happy and healthy New Year and keep in mind our one simple fail-safe method of staying free from cigarettes this season as well as for all future holidays. . . NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

freeflight silver

01 Jan 2001, 01:08 #2

Image My plans for today and tomorrow involve colored pencil sketches, watching the New Years celebrations on tv, making a few calls to family and friends, cooking and posting here in between my activities. Most importantly, I will be doing them while remaining smoke free. My smoking was done in my house, when I smoked. I didn't smoke at work , on breaks or in the truck and I seldom went to public places where there was a lot of smoking. While on vacation, I experienced billing errors, plumbing concerns, computer problems,cleaning issues,
frustration while honing my art skills, but mostly I experienced the joy of finding some really great, caring people who stuck with me and encouraged me. Most of my vacation time was very enjoyable especially the time spent posting and replying and I made real progress with my art. So all in all, I'll have to say this has been by far the most beneficial vacation, I've ever had, just running around in sweats, playing with my cats, making new friends and doing it all
SMOKE FREE!

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

01 Jan 2001, 03:06 #3

To all our Freedomites....
Eat, Drink, Be Merry, Read, Cook, listen to music or do whatever makes you happy.....whether alone or in a group.....have a wonderful time and remember....NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!
Best wishes to all of you for a happy, healthy, safe and wonderful last day of 2000!
the Freedom Staff

Joel

31 Dec 2001, 18:00 #4

Joel

28 Dec 2002, 23:47 #5

Image I used to bring these posts up on New Years Eve, but realize many people won't get to their computers to check in just prior to going out. I thought it might be better getting everyone notified earlier on of having their guard up and ammunition ready in the event the holiday does trigger thoughts and desires. During this holiday and in all your future holidays too your quit will stay strong and secure as long as you always remember why you first committed and are still committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

31 Dec 2002, 20:24 #6

OBob Gold

18 Mar 2003, 08:34 #7

Joanne Gold

20 Apr 2003, 20:52 #8

I get nervous when people quit at New Years. For so many people have made resolutions year after year and have failed that sometimes relapse is an expected and "acceptable" outcome, considering the person accepted it every other time in the past. If a person gets through a few weeks I start to feel a little more confident that the person is quitting for more than just a New Years Resolution. The other time of year this is an issue for many at the end of Lent. Many people have made past commitments to quit at Lent, and again, past experienced can have the association of a built in relapse. So today is an important day to get through for those people. But when it comes down to it, today is an important day for all people to take a few seconds to focus on not smoking. Tomorrow will be another day that it is important to do that. Taking a few seconds each and every day to recommit to staying smoke free is one sure fire way to always remember that the way to stay smoke free is to always remember why you first committed and are still committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

25 Apr 2003, 17:56 #9

ImageFor Chad

Joel

25 Dec 2004, 21:08 #10