"Dying for a cigarette!"

"Dying for a cigarette!"

Joel

07 Nov 2003, 05:29 #1

There is a good chance that you remember expressing this sentiment at one time or another when you were an active smoker. I want to make sure that you recognize that when you were making such comments in the past that in reality the statement was never true. No one dies because he or she wants a cigarette.

While the term "dying for a cigarette" has no real validity, it is crucial to note that millions of people die every year because they would not allow themselves to break free from cigarettes.

If you ever find yourself thinking that you are once again "dying for a cigarette," remind yourself that the reality of the situation is that you are living healthier today and are likely going to live longer because your real desire now is to stick to the commitment that you made to never take another puff!

Joel

Mshiggins5272

07 Nov 2003, 05:40 #2

I can't tell you how timely this post is. It's SCARY how timely this post is.Image

VoluntaryDebraSilver

22 Dec 2003, 10:10 #3

Hello Joel, For a little over three weeks I have not been thinking I was dying for a cigarette because in my mind every time the odd thought would pop up I would replace the picture in my mind with Bryan. I don't need to die for a cigarette because Bryan did it for me. I don't have the words for how bad I feel for him and his family. I don't have the words to express my gratitude to them for possibly saving my life by sharing his story. But if there is a God I think it happened for me. All of my gratitude forever, Debra Flower - Free and Healing for Twenty Three Days, 19 Hours and 25 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 714 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $110.82.

ijaq and silver

04 Aug 2004, 03:56 #4

Dying for a cigarette? - Never again!
I've found FREEDOM
Thank You one and all
IJAQ
Nicotine Free since 7/9/04 - Three weeks, three days and 20 hours.
497 cigarettes not smoked, saving $74.61.
Life saved: 1 day, 17 hours, 25 minutes.
Life is Fragile - Handle with Prayer
Last edited by ijaq and silver on 07 Jul 2009, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

Crystal View1.ffn

30 Dec 2004, 11:23 #5

Wow!, Joel, thanks for bringing this string to the top! "There is a good chance that you remember expressing this sentiment at one time or another when you were an active smoker. I want to make sure that you recognize that when you were making such comments in the past that in reality the statement was never true. No one dies because he or she wants a cigarette." This is SO cool! I just came through a tough Christmas visit to my family and I love the idea that when the thought "I am dying for a cigarette" comes, it is UNTRUE. WOW!

Thanks! Katie

Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for Two Months, Twelve Days, 13 Hours and 19 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1250 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $250.84.

Joel

10 Jun 2007, 23:57 #6

I saw a title on the board that made me think of this one. Contrary to the popular use of such a title as this one, "Dying for a cigarette," in reality this very rarely occurs. I say very rarely because there are times when people do foolish things in order to go for a cigarette--like going out in a blizzard or hurricane or other dangerous condition to smoke or purchase a cigarette or a pack only to be killed from being out in the inclement condition. I suspect in those events you could say they were dying for a cigarette, although the reality of the situation is they died in pursuit of the cigarette. While "Dying for a cigarette" is quite an inaccurate representation of real life events, "dying from a cigarette" is an all too common occurrence--actually happening to thousands of people each day and worldwide, about 5 million people a year. Here are a few of our Freedom string that address this issue of dying from cigarettes:

It's only cigarette smoking not a crime punishable by death

"But smoking is the only vice I have left..."
For people who think quitting smoking is the hardest thing they have ever done
"I don't want to die!" - the bottom line?
Smoking and circulation
The Real Cigarette Induced "Roller Coaster" Ride
Smoking: a crime punishable by death
Puffing on Polonium
Smoking's Impact on the Lungs
"I'm safe from smoking related problems by my genetic makeup."
What price would our loved ones pay?
If cigarettes were as deadly as you say they are...
Post-operative complications and slower healing
Smoking and pancreatic cancer
ICU patient nicotine use death rate 6 times higher
Medical Implications of Smoking
Have you met Noni?
Smoking and Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms
April 2002 at the ALA's Wall of Remembrance
For people wondering if quitting is really worth the effort...
Last edited by Joel on 17 May 2013, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

18 Oct 2008, 04:01 #7

From above:

From above:

Contrary to the popular use of such a title as this one, "Dying for a cigarette," in reality this very rarely occurs. I say very rarely because there are times when people do foolish things in order to go for a cigarette--like going out in a blizzard or hurricane or other dangerous condition to smoke or purchase a cigarette or a pack only to be killed from being out in the inclement condition. I suspect in those events you could say they were dying for a cigarette, although the reality of the situation is they died in pursuit of the cigarette. While "Dying for a cigarette" is quite an inaccurate representation of real life events, "dying from a cigarette" is an all too common occurrence--actually happening to thousands of people each day and worldwide, about 5 million people a year. Here are a few of our Freedom string that address this issue of dying from cigarettes:

(I am at a computer right now that cannot do links. See post 43 above for referred to links)