Don't Give Up!

Don't Give Up!

JoeJFree Gold

06 May 2008, 21:28 #1

One of the underlying currents here at Freedom is that what happens when we each say 'No More - Enough!' to tobacco products of all types is not really what is commonly called quitting. 
Freedom - Your Journey to Comfort is different because what is taught here is abrupt cessation (cold turkey) and addiction recovery support. 
Additionally there is quite a bit of relapse prevention coaching and support via the educational materials offered here.

Early on in my personal journey back to the real meImage something Joel had written (one of several things actually) really stuck in my mind. It is contained in his article - "No thank you, I can't have a cigarette ".  
Man, did I say that to myself and others far too many times each time I'd 'tried to quit' before discovering Freedom From Tobacco and the plain truth of my addiction dependency relationship with nicotine. I never realized it back then but I believe that outlook of self-serving deprivation was at the core of my own repetitive undoing. I'd been programmed to believe relapse was inevitable. Quitting Smoking was 'hard'. I'd need help of some sort, maybe a drug or gadget to help me through the unending yearning for tobacco.  I was programmed to believe that 'quitting' would be forever unbearable. Those are just some of the many lies - False associations -commonly cited about ending the use of tobacco products that I'd come to know.

The central message of Joel's reinforcement letter I reference was that we should NOT look at stopping tobacco use as 'Giving Up' anything. Quite the contrary. There need be no regret or feeling we are being deprived of something valuable when we BEGIN TO TRULY LIVE......... by stopping the deadly delivery of dose upon dose of a harmful and addictive substance - nicotine. That's why I knew early on I was not going to give up anything I liked while deciding I would no longer allow nicotine entry to my body again.

I got rid of something harmful. 

I gave up nothing.

Nope, we are doing ourselves a big favor by GETTING RID of nicotine and beginning a life of freedom , in control of our chemical dependency.

"You don't 'Give up' smoking.
You get rid of it" - Joel

So those of you earlier on this path of Freedom, our shared road of recovery.......Don't Give Up! Get on with the rest of your life, live it as it was always meant to be lived - clean of nicotine and free to choose. By the time I arrived here I'd already tried to smoke all of 'em and it darn near killed me - now I choose to smoke or chew none of 'em by deciding to
not take another puff - just for the rest of today.

Quite simply the best decision I can make today for the rest and best of my life.

Joe J Free & living comfortably nicotine free as I was supposed to be all along.
3 years, 3 months, 26 days, 23 hours, 8 minutes and 11 seconds (1211 days).
Decided to not purchase and consume 32723 deadly doses and saved $8,258.00 in my 'Freedom Dividend' account.
I've reclaimed 227 days, 5 hours and 50 minutes of my life to live as I choose which is the best part of this gift I give to myself each and every day I choose to NTAP!

Edited by Joel to fix broken links for articles No thank you, I can't have a cigarette and Freedom - Your Journey to Comfort
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 24 Dec 2013, 15:50, edited 14 times in total.

zoe

07 May 2008, 04:21 #2

Right on.... yup.

smilingthyme0

07 May 2008, 17:39 #3

Imageyes, very good. Thanks JoeJImage
Last edited by smilingthyme0 on 04 Nov 2009, 15:09, edited 2 times in total.

WavyDavy7

07 May 2008, 21:55 #4

Newby here. I quit April 22nd. It seems I did all my cogitating and writing about smoking over the last several years while still unable to conceive of quitting, I've got a stack of legal pads about four feet tall!!!

There's not much for me to say; you guys have said it all. No wonder it's so hard to quit for most people when the advice given out all over the place is so bogus. At last I have an intelligent group to hang out with. Way to go!

VICKIGOLD2006

09 May 2008, 07:10 #5

ImageThanks JoeJ. I remember when I was new here at Freedom and you had written about "putting down" nicotine. I could relate to that too. I just read an article in The New Yorker and the author wrote about his experience as a smoker. He describe the end of his smoking career by saying he had "finished with smoking". Today, that is how I feel.
Thanks Joe J.
Last edited by VICKIGOLD2006 on 04 Nov 2009, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

butterflybeth82

09 May 2008, 09:45 #6

Joe, you are very powerful in your posts and I am always glad to read something that you've written or reccommended.

I appreciate your help in every way and you have been a great motivator in my quit.

Thank you for this post. It has been an inspiration.

Beth

JoeJFree Gold

04 Sep 2008, 06:05 #7

Wendy's post of today - Growing UP - brought this ramble to mind.Image
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 25 Jun 2013, 14:56, edited 2 times in total.

Chipits GOLD.ffn

04 Sep 2008, 10:31 #8

And keep up the rambling there JoeJ! Always a steadfast and solid read from your inspirations! I agree> nothing valuable to attribute to tobacco use whatsoever>we are not deprived of 'it'. If anything, 'it' certainly deprived us of health, $$$, fellowship and family members and friends who died far before their time because of this addiction. I certainly won't be giving up > and by that I mean I will never give up spreading the word about Whyquit and Freedom from Tobacco. I will never give up cherishing my quit and the truth we all have found here that liberates all who choose to get rid of nicotine. Thank you JoeJ for all you contribute to the welfare of others.
Wendy---2 yrs.+
Last edited by Chipits GOLD.ffn on 25 Jun 2013, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Pinball757

04 Sep 2008, 21:50 #9

One of the many wonderful moments I have experienced since stopping my use of nicotine was when I realized that I truly no longer want a cigarette. It was especially wonderful since I thought that I would always "suffer" as a result of quitting. What an amazing revelation when I realized it was the opposite - I suffered every time I fed the addiction!

Mike - Free and Healing for Two Years, Five Months, Thirteen Days, 2 Hours and 50 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 93 Days and 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 26914 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $6,284.39.

JoeJFree Gold

23 Dec 2008, 00:32 #10

Change your base of thinking and your thinking will undoubtedly change.
Choose to measure your time free not your time without.
You're not living your life without 'it'. You are living your life truly free of 'it'.Image
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 22 Nov 2009, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.