Don't Get Discouraged!

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
dogmomgreenplus

04 Oct 2006, 03:08 #41

Thanks, Joe. My quit is SAFE - I am committed. Discouragement is just one of my obstacles - I'll ride it through. What's nice is having a place like this where I can vent to others who understand. I really have no one else with whom I can share the ups and downs of this ride.

Thanks for caring ....
Jeanine
(12 days)

DebRDance

04 Oct 2006, 11:03 #42

ImageI just read this post and I thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. I have up days and down days and think what's wrong with me? When do I get to sit at the computer and not have a thought (fleeting or otherwise) about smoking? When do I get to be okay with my coffee at home? When do I get to think in terms of months or forevers in reference to not smoking instead of days or hours? I thank you for this post because you spoke volumes to me and I appreciate the fact that you are honest about it all...Thanks I needed that!Image

Debbie - Free and Healing for One Month, Twenty Days, 15 Hours and 42 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1013 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $228.42.

JoeJFree Gold

18 Oct 2006, 07:35 #43

(from above ..........)

...Perhaps some people think that you quit smoking and now it's over. End of story. Close the book. File this away as an unfortunate incident of the past. You don't need to think about it anymore. Well, we do need to think about it - not obsessively, not continually - but it needs our attention. We need to remember how desperate we felt to quit. We need to remember how awful withdrawal might have been. We need to remember how we began to gradually feel better and could concentrate on something besides not smoking. We need to remember how we began to understand that years of smoking had stunted our emotional responses. We need to remember cutting ourselves off from other people in order to smoke. We need to remember that we quit smoking because we valued our lives and ourselves enough to take a frightening step into the unknown territory of recovery.

It's fine by me to get a little scared once in a while. Keeps me grateful for my quit. Reminds me of what a precious gift I am giving myself every day.

So, don't lose heart!

Don't get discouraged!

This is hard work, but it does get easier. All you have to do is keep reading here and you see that. Post after post after post reinforces the message that this is doable and desirable. There is real comfort on this journey and it is yours for the taking as long as you never take another puff.

(There I go stealing Joel's lines again!) Image

Parker - GOLD!

megsfolly

06 Nov 2006, 02:16 #44

Well today was a really bad day for the wanting!! After posting on my diary and being sent some reading - which I read, re read and then read again just in ncase I missed something!! I went for a brisk walk, I had a long bubbly bath and nothing helped.

I came accross this thread and it seems to have helped - I no longer feel that I am the only one having these thoughts. I will not get discouraged - I will never take another puff. I may be an addict but I'm in control!!

Thank you Image

Megan - Free and Healing for One Month, Three Days, 19 Hours and 15 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1392 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £383.38.

Julia Rose1

06 Dec 2006, 19:58 #45

This was just what I needed to read today, thanks.

Roger (Gold)

12 Feb 2007, 11:41 #46

ImageA few of our members are wondering if they will ever feel the comfort that is promised because they feel different! Read below what our Parker had to say about that.

(from above ..........)

...Perhaps some people think that you quit smoking and now it's over. End of story. Close the book. File this away as an unfortunate incident of the past. You don't need to think about it anymore. Well, we do need to think about it - not obsessively, not continually - but it needs our attention. We need to remember how desperate we felt to quit. We need to remember how awful withdrawal might have been. We need to remember how we began to gradually feel better and could concentrate on something besides not smoking. We need to remember how we began to understand that years of smoking had stunted our emotional responses. We need to remember cutting ourselves off from other people in order to smoke. We need to remember that we quit smoking because we valued our lives and ourselves enough to take a frightening step into the unknown territory of recovery.

It's fine by me to get a little scared once in a while. Keeps me grateful for my quit. Reminds me of what a precious gift I am giving myself every day.

So, don't lose heart!

Don't get discouraged!

This is hard work, but it does get easier. All you have to do is keep reading here and you see that. Post after post after post reinforces the message that this is doable and desirable. There is real comfort on this journey and it is yours for the taking as long as you never take another puff.

(There I go stealing Joel's lines again!) Image

Parker - GOLD!
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on 03 Jun 2011, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

DynamicAsh1

19 Feb 2007, 10:36 #47

Thanks so much for your honesty, It is soo real

Take care of your quit and it will take care of you..
NTAP

TonyKY2

19 Feb 2007, 10:46 #48

Thank you for this post. This is exactly what I needed right now. :)

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 36 seconds (20 days). I have saved $65.50 by not smoking 403 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 9 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/29/2007 6:00 PM

JoeJFree Gold

18 Sep 2007, 02:16 #49

ImageImage For Chris Anne.

Don't get discouraged. Quitting isn't a problem it is a solution.
Withdrawal anxiety and being uncomfortable making the necessary Adjustments: Dealing With Life Without the Drug will not shorten your life and make living it less worthwhile - continuing to smoke tobacco will surely do so.

Thinking about the tobacco smoking nicotine induction activity is normal for a recovering person. Thoughts cannot hurt you. Taking action on those thoughts of wanting can and will hurt you. Actions speak louder than words - or thought

This is hard work, but it does get easier. All you have to do is keep reading here and you see that. Post after post after post reinforces the message that this is doable and desirable. There is real comfort on this journey and it is yours for the taking as long as you never take another puff. - Parker

JoeJFree Gold

30 Oct 2007, 11:27 #50

This is a very good example of the riches you will find in the back pages of some of these older discussion strings. Go ahead, explore by utilizing the navigation controls at the top and bottom of each thread. You just might find the 'key' thought that makes the difference for you. Education is our key along with a belief that what those who have already trod this road have recorded with thousands of posts tell true - each day is in some way better than the last as long as we keep our personal pledge to never take another puff. - Joe J Freeee
Recovery is a lifelong journey. Recent months have kept me so busy that I haven't had time for posting but I do read at Freedom at least every couple of days. I return so that I'll always appreciate my journey and acknowledge all of its aspects.

Once in a great while a smoking thought will pass through my brain. I appreciate the reminder that as a smoker, I was not the master of my own time, my own activities, my own life - I was so much at the mercy of my addiction that AT NEARLY 15 MONTHS CLEAN, the siren can still sing out. It's a potent reinforcement of the fact that nicotine cravings ruled me for twenty years. I am forced to remember how I responded immediately, a slave to my drug, over and over, all day long, every day. I was a gerbil on a wheel.

Now, I'm gratefully back in charge and life on this side of the bars is so much better in so many ways. So, when a brief thought visits me, I accept it as evidence that I have been permanently altered and proof that I can never take another puff. I remember how nicotine was integrated at every level of my conscious and subconscious life like a parasite and take the opportunity to celebrate reclaiming my birthright to exist free. I walk on and walk tall.

I never have to smoke again.
What a relief.
What a joy!
YQS,
Alyson
14+ months (and 4 years and a month or so)