Don't Get Discouraged!

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
JamieIsGoldNow

23 Mar 2005, 00:26 #31

I'm really glad I saw this. I have the daily digests coming to my email, but I rarely look too closely. Lately, I've been having urges for a cigarette, and I really thought I'd be over them by now. I just want to point out to the folks that are still new in their quit that the urges may not stop coming, but mine, at least, barely last long enough for me to give voice to it. In fact, it's more like any other wicked thought that runs through my head - I just have to let it keep running. So there's the hope - the urges might still be there, but nothing at all like the CRAVINGS used to be.

Jamie

I have been quit for 11 Months, 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 22 hours, 20 minutes and 16 seconds (352 days). I have saved $3,088.13 by not smoking 17,646 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Months, 6 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/3/2004

JoeJFree Gold

07 Jun 2005, 02:04 #32

Parker has penned a classic.
Thanks Gitte for again reintroducing us.

Don't get discouraged!

This is hard work, but it does get easier. All you have to do is keep reading here and you see that. Post after post after post reinforces the message that this is doable and desirable. There is real comfort on this journey and it is yours for the taking as long as you never take another puff.

JoeJFree Gold

10 Oct 2005, 00:12 #33

For Billie.

This is hard work, but it does get easier. All you have to do is keep reading here and you see that. Post after post after post reinforces the message that this is doable and desirable. There is real comfort on this journey and it is yours for the taking as long as you never take another puff. - Parker
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 03 Jun 2011, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

FreeBillie61

10 Oct 2005, 00:31 #34

Thanks Parker.

Billie

Mike851

31 Mar 2006, 18:44 #35

Parker,

Bravo!!!Image Thank You, Sir!!Image

All the points you made went ImageImageImage for me.

Kind regards,
Mike W...no nicotine since 13th Feb 2006

Sal GOLD.ffn

06 Apr 2006, 20:55 #36

ImageFrom above:
The thoughts would only have power if I latched onto them.
If I grabbed that thought as it was flying by and captured it and began to stroke it and worry about it and magnify it and reproduce it and clutch it to me….then it would cease to be powerless.
It would grow in size and strength and take up more and more space in my brain.
I might begin to feel less grateful for my freedom and more like I was deprived of something. Then perhaps some feelings of resentment might arise. Maybe I might even begin to entertain the thought that this one puff leads to relapse business is a bunch of malarkey.
I imagine that more than one of you is nodding your head in recognition as you read this. We've all been there---this is junkie thinking. This is one of the long-term results of drug addiction.
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 03 Jun 2011, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

06 Jun 2006, 22:16 #37

Parker's post seems doubly (quadruplely ? Image) appropriate today.

The freedom and comfort that eventually come by living nicotine free, as we were meant to be, is worth any amount of struggle we go through to get to the other side.

JoeJFree Gold

07 Jul 2006, 04:03 #38

from above ..........
Perhaps some people think that you quit smoking and now it's over. End of story. Close the book. File this away as an unfortunate incident of the past. You don't need to think about it anymore. Well, we do need to think about it - not obsessively, not continually - but it needs our attention. We need to remember how desperate we felt to quit. We need to remember how awful withdrawal might have been. We need to remember how we began to gradually feel better and could concentrate on something besides not smoking. We need to remember how we began to understand that years of smoking had stunted our emotional responses. We need to remember cutting ourselves off from other people in order to smoke. We need to remember that we quit smoking because we valued our lives and ourselves enough to take a frightening step into the unknown territory of recovery.

It's fine by me to get a little scared once in a while. Keeps me grateful for my quit. Reminds me of what a precious gift I am giving myself every day.

So, don't lose heart!

Don't get discouraged!

This is hard work, but it does get easier. All you have to do is keep reading here and you see that. Post after post after post reinforces the message that this is doable and desirable. There is real comfort on this journey and it is yours for the taking as long as you never take another puff.

(There I go stealing Joel's lines again!) Image

Parker (who is now over 4 years removed from active addiction)

and (as we all are) one puff away from many a day.

To add another wonderful Parker line -

"We are never cured of our addiction."

SandraJ0 Gold1

02 Sep 2006, 04:15 #39

ImageSeems no matter what I need I find it here.. This was perfect for today.
Sandy Freedom math 1 = all ..and.. none = freedom ..and..216 days free = 7 Months, 4 Days, 6 hours and 15 minutes which = $1,081.29 more dollars in my pocket and 4,325 cancer delivery sticks not smoked.and 2 Weeks, 1 Day and 25 minutes extra time to enjoy life. whoo hoo freedom feels great.
Last edited by SandraJ0 Gold1 on 03 Jun 2011, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

03 Oct 2006, 01:08 #40

Image ImageFor Jeanine. Don't get discouraged. Quitting isn't a problem it is a solution. Withdrawal anxiety and being uncomfortable making the necessary Adjustments: Dealing With Life Without the Drug (Parade) will not shorten your life and make living it less worthwhile - continuing to smoke tobacco will surely do so.

This is hard work, but it does get easier. All you have to do is keep reading here and you see that. Post after post after post reinforces the message that this is doable and desirable. There is real comfort on this journey and it is yours for the taking as long as you never take another puff. - Parker
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 03 Jun 2011, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.