Don't Get Discouraged!

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Parker GOLD

24 Aug 2004, 01:45 #21

For Jeff...who has worked hard to maintain his beautiful quit.

johnny

25 Aug 2004, 04:21 #22

WHAT A BLAST FROM THE PAST! THANKS PARKER. I NEEDED THAT! johnny-free&healing
I have stopped nicotine for 3 months, 25 days, 18 hours, 21 minutes and 24 seconds (116 days).
I've not smoked 2919 death sticks, and saved $439.98.
I've saved 10 days, 3 hours and 15 minutes of my life.
Last edited by johnny on 05 Nov 2009, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

kwhtlw

25 Aug 2004, 05:24 #23

What he said!
Thanks Parker!!

Kevin, NicFree & Luv'n It for 68 days. I quit chewing tobacco on 6/17/04, and have save $341.49 while expecting to be on earth 2 Days, 8 hours and 50 minutes longer.

John (Gold)

04 Dec 2004, 02:45 #24

The nicotine industry wants us back as we each represent thousands of dollars in lost income .... if we lived that long. They're spending billions and billions in marketing each year to lure us into relapse by trying to convince us that we're missing out on pleasure, adventure, flavor and taste.
Don't let the facade and maze of marketing at the gas station, grocery store or pharmacy convince you that one chemical is worth 14 years of life. That's absolutely crazy. But that's what chemical addiciton is all about, a craziness willing to exchange freedom, health and life itself for an unearned flood of dopamine.
Baby steps, just one day at a time and it won't be long before the primary discouragement you feel isn't about quitting nicotine but of watching other smokers you care for or love be deprived of their own natural beauty hidden beneath de-sensitized neuronal pathways, scores of conditioned feeding cues and a small mountain of dependency rationalizations. Millions of words in Freedom's 250 thousand member posts but only one rule ... no nicotine today! John (Gold x5)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 05 Nov 2009, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Parker GOLD

18 Dec 2004, 21:19 #25

"Do I ever have an undefeated trigger slap me in the face?
Rarely, it happens, but it doesn't last very long.
Do I ever find myself wanting to smoke?
Rarely, it happens, but it doesn't last very long.
Do I allow these rare and fleeting thoughts to consume me and make me romanticize the drug that was ruining my life and trying to kill me?
HECK NO, I DON'T! I just acknowledge the trigger, remind myself that I no longer smoke.... I also acknowledge that it would only take one puff to make me not care about the stench anymore, not care about my kids anymore, not care that my life is calm now, even when things get crazy, I am still calm because today I have the ability to choose whether or not I'm going to smoke. When I was smoking, I never had that choice. All my choices were made for me."

~Jeanne

VoluntaryDebraSilver

09 Jan 2005, 08:49 #26

I came looking for inspiration for the over a year quitter, sure it wouldn't be here because of all the New Year Newbies, and it took only 2 clicks of the mouse. I don't come here for weeks at a time but when I do someone is ready to speak to my heart. Thanks so much.
Debra...about 409 days

Starshinegrl Gold

09 Mar 2005, 02:32 #27

Image for Mark

please make sure you hit the ImageFirst button!

Thank you, Parker! Image

Gitte
102 days and a bit

JoeJFree Gold

09 Mar 2005, 06:01 #28

Parker, the entire theme of this essay truly will make a difference in the thought process of every member of Freedom who is lucky enough to catch this as it passes atop the board again. I also now realize that it is not unheard of nor all that unusual to have a request for assitance from even a well established Freedomite. We are all indeed just one puff away. I will remember to suggest this essay in reply if I ever again am on the board when a request for assistance is posted. THANKS.

This excerpt is the core of your message for me -
"There is no denying that those recent posts are scary . They remind us of the deadly power of this addiction. We don't just quit and then lah-di-dah our way through the rest of our lives. Initially, we need to work hard at our quits. Then comes a time when we realize the work is not as hard. We are able to ease up, we think less about it. But, we never get to forget that we are addicts in recovery.
Nobody graduates from addiction."

I, for one, am not discouraged by the fact that I'll always be an addict. I am empowered by this fact. I was reborn in that wonderful moment of realization and acknowledgement of my addiction to nicotine.Image
Knowledge of my addiction is not a millstone that I'll have to lug around the rest of my natural-born days (really like that phrase now). I carry the knowledge of my addiction and how I keep it disconnected with me at all times by recalling how I inscribed NTAP in red ink on my inner left wrist daily for the first three weeks of this journey to freedom. I look down even now and can still 'see it'. It is my own personal Freedom Key that unlocked the door to my freedom to live Nicotine FREE. Knowledge of my addiction is not a burden, it is a cherished gift.
Maybe I will get that NTAP! tattoo done.Image
World class quitters all and so many world class writers in the archives here at Freedom I may never post again. NOT!

joejFree for 57 Days and have now reclaimed an extra 4 Days and 23 Hours. ImageNTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 13 Dec 2014, 00:36, edited 2 times in total.

tumnisbb

09 Mar 2005, 22:32 #29

Image Great post ! i hadnt seen this before , thats why i stopped in today to care for my quit and give others who are just quit encouragement , reading the post from those who have just quit helps me to keep it perpective .. becca I have been quit for 10 Months, 5 Days, 12 hours, 47 minutes and 8 seconds (309 days). I have saved $1,315.50 by not smoking 7,738 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 20 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/3/2004

TeraGold

11 Mar 2005, 03:07 #30

Wow, yeah, exactly.

"We need to remember how desperate we felt to quit. We need to remember how awful withdrawal might have been. We need to remember how we began to gradually feel better and could concentrate on something besides not smoking. We need to remember how we began to understand that years of smoking had stunted our emotional responses. We need to remember cutting ourselves off from other people in order to smoke. We need to remember that we quit smoking because we valued our lives and ourselves enough to take a frightening step into the unknown territory of recovery."