Does Joel have any books?

OBob Gold

13 Jun 2003, 05:34 #21

Great news! I hadn't looked in on this thread before, because I knew the answer (or I thought I did).

Bill, you rock!

Joel, you rock too!

Ditto John!

Thanks for the book, guys. I'm gonna download it and have it on hand for distribution to the next non-computer user looking for help.
ImageBob

OBob Gold

13 Jun 2003, 05:43 #22

Just emailed it to a doctor friend of mine, suggesting that he a) hand it out to any patient expressing a desire to quit, and b) leave a copy in his waiting room.

I think the waiting room thing could be an EXCELLENT place for people to read this. They're at a doc's office, so their health is on their mind. And they've got time to read (what else do you do in a doctor's waiting room).

Reaches a whole new audience.

This is totally AWESOME! (for some reason, my California vernacular's coming out today)

John (Gold)

13 Jun 2003, 08:21 #23

An Important Moment for Many!

Wowsers Bill, thanks for all your hard work! I hope you appreciate what you've done. Most importantly, you've made an amazing collection of insightful wisdom, with the potential to change thousands of lives, more mobile and accessible than ever before. But on top of that, you've forever deprived Joel from being able to say that "he doesn't have a book!" Yes, Joel's first book may have been electric, free and bound by thee, but that doesn't mean that this isn't a very important moment that's coming to the lives of many! Since it's free, by definition it cannot become a best seller but it may help thousands unload the worst buy they're forced to make - nicotine!

We've just finished adding and amending links on the following pages:
  • Freedom's Joel's Library index page where the PDF will remain available for download, with our thanks to Bill
  • WhyQuit.Com's main page where the PDF file will remain a permanent direct link with our thanks to Bill
  • WhyQuit's Joel's Library index page where the PDF file will remain a permanent download link
  • WhyQuit's What's New? where we'll give visitors notice of its addition for a few months, with
  • With an oh so small thanks on WhyQuit's About Us page.
There are soooo many names not listed there that have contributed so much toward helping create some amazing tools, that have transformed this place into what it is today, including some still active in the posting like Nora, Kim, Joy, Marty, Ed and the list goes on and on and on! Thank you Bill!

Joel

18 Jun 2003, 07:05 #24

The book was updated today. We added a new preface and updated the acknowledgement for Bill's layout work. For those of you who downloaded it already and don't want to download it again I will attach the new text below. For those who have not downloaded it yet, if you download it now it will be the latest version.
Preface
Never take another puff

Txgranny (Gold)

18 Jun 2003, 21:14 #25

Very impressed!!!! This is wonderful!!!!

I am so glad ya'll did this, I think it will reach many more people, thanks so much for working so hard to put this together.

I have a doctor's appointment next week and I will print and take this to him.

Txgranny

Joel

19 Jun 2003, 19:32 #26

Well last night I was handed a copy of my book. I actually was wondering if many people were actually going to print it out, especially considering the fact that I hadn't printed one out yet. Well here I was about to start a seminar when one of our Freedom members, Tessie, who also happened to have quit smoking in my last clinic came in and handed me over my own personal copy. I was touched. Not only that, but another Freedom member, AIR, who also graduated my last group came in and told me she had printed herself out a copy too. Not only that, but Tessie said she had already printed out two others that she had passed along to other people who didn't have Internet access. I am thrilled to know people are doing this.

It was a pretty interesting seminar. The first five people there were all Freedom members. It was not set up to be this way, it just kind of happened. Then we had two people who were clinic graduates of mine not affiliated with Freedom coming in for reinforcement, one person who started a clinic four months ago but only stayed a few days and felt that it was so easy he didn't need the rest, who went on to lose the quit, who came in to start again, and two people who were hopefully planning on quitting last night. Actually one was planning, I am not totally sure of the other ones intention yet.

One of the people there was the woman who had used NRT for 12 years before I had met her. She had spent over $15,000 on NRT over that time period and had never truly broken free from nicotine. I actually thought it was $10,000 dollars she had saved but she did the math for me last night. Actually she said that she had one time period early on in that time that lasted a few months but had relapsed by taking a stick of nicotine gum. That stick ended costing her thousands of dollars and kept her in a perpetual state of drug withdrawal. Now she was feeling really free for the first time in over a decade.

I think all of the people who came in for reinforcement really helped to show the two who were there looking to quit that life is really a whole lot better as an ex-smoker. I hope everyone here appreciates the great symbiotic relationship that we all have here at Freedom. Our longer-term members showing that quitting is possible and that life is so much better without smoking, our newest members reminding our longer-term members how hard and yet important quitting is and making them cherish their newfound Freedom even more.

Again, I hope all of you find the opportunity to help others you care about to find real Freedom. Whether it be by letting them know about WhyQuit.com and Freedom, or giving them a book, or best of all, by continuing to set for them the example that permanent quitting is possible and life becomes better once you take the leap and stick to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

StepperM

19 Jun 2003, 22:37 #27

THANKS FOR THE BOOK!
ImageThis is absolutely awesome!!Image
I am amazed at the work BillW put into compiling all of articles! Image
You all are the best!
I have already printed a copy for myself to have when I have the need to read. I've also printed 2 other copies for my sister and brother-in-law who have both talked about wanting to quit. I've also emailed to some other friends. Great idea to have a copy at the doctor's office too, thanks OBob, I'm going to do that!

From a very grateful Freegirl Image

Gr8fulGirl Silver

20 Jun 2003, 05:47 #28

Hi Joel,

Wanted to add to the list of THANK YOU's for this amazing book! I have been reading it on-line, and have printed out a copy to send to my mother-in-law. Pretty amazing that several of your seminar members were Freedomites! I have a question for you, if you happen to see this post...Do you ever do seminars in Houston, Texas? I was looking at your website and noticed most, if not all, of your seminars are in Illinois? I personally do not live in Houston, but a family member does. Thank you again for your incredible book and your incredible gift of yourself and your wisdom and support to this website and it's worldwide membership!!!!

Gr8ful Girl
I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 4 Days

Joel

20 Jun 2003, 18:23 #29

Hello Gr8ful Girl:

All of the clinics and most of the seminars I have done have been in the Chicago area. I have done a few professional conferences in other states or in other parts of Illinois, but in all honesty I don't like doing clinics too far from home. The programs go a couple of weeks where I would have to be away from my home base of operations. I basically have operated a live hotline for my clinic graduates for the past 25 years and being away for two weeks would leave managing those calls difficult. Before 2000 I had a few people I worked with who would help me handle those calls for short time periods. Actually, with technological changes in pagers and cellular phones I could take the clinics on the road now, but as of this time I don't have any strong interest in doing that. I really feel like I would be spread too thin.

That is the beauty of the Internet though. Through www.WhyQuit.com and Freedom we can reach far more people from far more distances than I could ever travel. Now with the book, which I see people from here are printing out and distributing and hearing the same thing from some of my clinic graduates, even people who don't have Internet access are benefiting from the material. I really have tried to put all of the material out here on the Internet that I use in the clinics, it just takes a little more work on the person quitting to get the information--meaning the individual has to read the articles as opposed to me spelling it out for him or her.

I have had numerous people come to the clinics from other areas, but at this point in time I really think people can save a lot of money and time quitting with us here at Freedom or just by working with the materials at www.WhyQuit.com. The communication technologies that we have today has really made the need to travel around the world to get information a little obsolete--at least in the case of getting simple information. Quitting smoking is really a pretty simple process too, it is simply coming to the understanding that quitting is something that you should do for a lot of reasons, something that you want to do for many reasons, and something that you can do by simply stopping the administration of any source of nicotine and then understanding never to administer it again via any source. To stay smoke free is as simple as keeping your personal resolve reinforced and strong to never take another puff!

Joel

Gr8fulGirl Silver

21 Jun 2003, 06:53 #30

Thank you Joel, I'm going to print out your book and pass it along to my mother-in-law. I guess I am just yearning to get her to stop smoking so that she is around to see her grandchildren grow up - and hopefully by living the example myself, she'll have the desire to make her own choice to never take another puff, someday soon. I think I will go read your writings on getting other people to quit so that I don't continue to drive myself crazy! Thanks again, and I won't keep bringing this post back to the top.

Gr8ful Girl
43 days