Does Joel have any books?

BillW Gold.ffn

06 Jun 2003, 10:38 #11

Hi Grace!

Its interesting that you should bring up this topic just when........

........well, anyways, I for one agree with you. While a real, physical book would not have the online support that Freedom does, there is still a huge part of the human race that doesn't own computers, and yet have easy access to tobacco.

Joel has made this material freely available, and I understand that while it all carries copyright notices that when it shows up on other sites (and it does), that he allows it.

But the decision to write a book.... or to publish the one that he's already written Image ......that decision is up to Joel.

BillW

BillW Gold.ffn

06 Jun 2003, 10:38 #12

..... and no, Joel, I didn't put Grace up to this.

BillW

BubblyDoodlebug Gold

11 Jun 2003, 00:22 #13

OK I know I am only a month old but I think a book with the one page writings and DON'T TAKE ANOTHER PUFF at the end of each one would be great. Before I joined I copied lots and lots of stuff. I bought a pretty three ring binder and put holes in my sheets and put it in the binder. I carry this in my brief case for when I am at work for three days straight. I love having it and I share it. It's like a devotional. I went from packing my cigs to packing my book. See Joel you do have a book out there and you did write it and it is all mine. Thanks for the book.Image If you do decide to publish a book you could even have some of the people in the group share and put in the different pictures from the post. A few blank pages so people could journal a bit and write down their quit dates. It would be so cool. In fact I am going to do this with my book, after I leave the computer. You already have a title. Don't Take Another Puff If you end up at Borders doing a signing I will be there, but you have to buy me a cup of coffee. OK I'll buy yours.

BubblyDoodlebug Gold

11 Jun 2003, 00:25 #14

Joel I am so very sorry "NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF" In all my excitement I became confused. Please forgive me. Katherine

CKay87

11 Jun 2003, 00:58 #15

"I guess I don't think writing a book is going to really help the masses. It would get put on a shelf in a bookstore sitting next to the dozens and dozens of books out there. I find it hard enough to get people to read my stuff for free let alone paying for it."

You are a saint, Joel. Sure you could help the masses by writing a book - it would get you on Oprah!

Grace

11 Jun 2003, 01:24 #16

Just wanted to say that I wasn't put up to this Image really! I just love to read and right now I don't have access to a computer at home, my computer took a dive while moving and I have some boards to replace. I have been burning the printer up at work though and have my favorite articles with me all the time. Thank you to everyone who works so hard to bring this website together and contributes. My life for this past (ALMOST A MONTH and yes I am grinning while counting) has been full of some really difficult moments but also full with reading, being gratefull to everyone here and celebrating my life. Grace
Free for 4 weeks, 1 hour,41 minutes,49 seconds. I have not smoked 561 seconds. I have saved 119.21. I will be green on 061303 at 7:45pm! Yippee

BillW Gold.ffn

11 Jun 2003, 01:34 #17

sorry Grace..... I don't mean to be cryptic, and my post was kinda an inside joke with Joel.

For the last month or so I've been working on bringing together Joel's library as an "ebook", an electronic book, with a cover page and a table of contents and an index and the whole thing. Your post popped up right in the middle of that effort, and I was kidding Joel that I hadn't set you up to makeing it....

If the ebook works out, and the managers approve, it should be offered here for download (current estimates is its about 1.6 Megabytes with the color pictures.). You'll be able to print the whole thing (about 225 pages) or any part, and can have it on your own computer to read, copy onto a disk for others to read, etc.

.....that also gets it just one step shy of sending the manuscript off to a publisher.... but that's a step only one person can take......

BillW One year, four months, two days, 4 hours . 14615 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,886.36. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, 55 minutes.

Grace

11 Jun 2003, 01:56 #18

That is really great! Please let us know if the ebook works out. I would love to have it.
Reading about my addiction has been the one thing that has actually stayed in the foremost part of my brain and many times in the last month has kept me from taking another puff. Having that knowledge is an incredible gift! ImageGrace

Joel

12 Jun 2003, 07:52 #19

From what I understand Bill is putting on some finishing touches to "The Book." Hopefully it will be ready for distribution in a day or two. Actually, all of the materials in it are already available on our site, but Bill has done a spectacular job at laying it out in a logical and easy to read and indexed format. I hope you all download a copy to have on your own computer and feel free to email it and pass along to anyone at all interested in quitting. For those times that your Internet connection may be down it can be a good resource.

I want to thank Bill for all of the time and effort he has put into this project. I truly hope that his efforts help you to help yourselves and to help others achieve long-term success by simply understanding how to quit and and how to stay smoke-free forever by staying totally committed to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

13 Jun 2003, 04:41 #20

Well we have a book at Freedom and WhyQuit.com. It may get a little revised yet, we may move it to another site for downloading, or over time we may figure out new routes of distribution. But for now we have it in a way where you can all download it and pass it along via email to others or print it out to give to people you care about.

I wish to once again thank Bill for the effort he put in to laying out the book and to all of those here at Freedom who kept harping on us to put it out in an easier to distribute format. I should also note that John has been encouraging me to put this kind of book together for over three years now as well as Joanne, Linda and many others. Bill was just more persuasive--he did all the work for me.

Actually, John did a marvelous job of laying out the online version of Joel's Library quite some time ago and we know that thousands of people have read through it and are hopefully benefiting from the material. Also I need to thank Dave who has done some major editing and proofreading over the past year as well as Melissa who has done much of our customized artwork.

While I am at it I wish to thank Bob for giving WhyQuit.com the professional look that it has today and of course to once again thank John for creating www.WhyQuit.com, inviting me in to be part of it and for putting in such a tireless effort to this day letting the world know that we is out here and to help the smokers of the world who feel that they are hopelessly addicted to know that there is a way to quit smoking that is affordable to all. We really are an inspired team of people here at Freedom.

I hope we see similar results from this new format to what we have seen from our previous formats now. So read away everyone and feel free to pass along to all you know the knowledge that to quit smoking and to be able to stay successfully smoke free is to follow the one simple rule in the title, on top of each page and at the end of every article which is to stay a successful ex-smoker is as simple as just staying committed to never take another puff!

Joel

http://whyquit.com/joel/ntap.pdf