"Do whatever it takes to quit smoking"

"Do whatever it takes to quit smoking"

Joel

19 Mar 2003, 20:51 #1

I originally had a variation of this post in the The Teaching of Conventional Wisdom at Freedom thread at Freedom. It was prompted when a member on the board wrote to another member that he or she should do what ever it takes to quit smoking. The example specifically given was drink water or eat ice cream. I have to say, if someone plans on going the ice cream route they had better be ready to go buy a whole slew of complete wardrobes, of ever increasing sizes. If your crutch for smoking thoughts are going to be any high caloric food weight gain of massive amounts should be expected.

As far as using "whatever it takes," I guess that can be translated to taking any food, any drug, legal or illegal, or participate in any activity, no matter how ludicrous or dangerous that activity might be. Does the comment smoke crack cocaine, or shoot up heroin, or drink as much alcohol as it takes, or administer lethal dosages of arsenic or cyanide make any sense to anyone as practical advice to quit smoking? If not, the comment of do whatever it takes loses any real concept of credibility.

As far as quitting smoking goes, the advice should not be "do whatever it takes to quit smoking," but rather, "do what it takes to quit smoking." What it takes to quit smoking is simply sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Also see Crutches to Quit Smoking

Related video:
Video Title Dial Up High Speed MP3 Audio Length Created
"What bad habit should I replace it with?" 1.86mb 18.4mb 2.30mb 05:04 10/02/06
Last edited by Joel on 07 Mar 2009, 12:26, edited 4 times in total.

Golddabler1

22 Mar 2003, 19:44 #2

ImageI WAS GOING TO POST I BEAT MY BIG TRIGGER PARADE.BUT THIS POINT IS SO GOOD AND I WANTED TO KEEP IT NEAR THE TOP FOR A VITAL READ.I TAKE IT JOEL IS SAYING LETS NOT PLACE AN ADDICTION WITH ANOTHER ADDICTION.I AM Image CHUFFED TO BITS TODAY I HEADED AT MIDNIGHT FROM MY LOCAL BAR TO THE CITY CENTRE TO A NIGHTCLUB WHERE I LOST A YEARS QUIT BUT ALSO WHERE MY ADDICTION STARTED IN 1998[PS THIS IS NOT ADVICE EVERY QUIT IS DIFFERENT AND EVERYBODYS QUIT IS DIFFERENT] MY QUIT HAS BEEN EASY BUT SO WAS THE YEARS QUIT I LOST WHICH LEAD TO SEVERAL DIFFICULT QUITS.I PASSED MY TEST WITH FLYING COLOURS.HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES WELL FOR ME IT TAKES LIVING MY NORMAL LIFE WITHOUT SMOKING IE I,M NOT AVOIDING OCCASIONALLY PARTYING TO THE EARLY HOURS IN A PLACE WHERE MY ADDICTION I,M NOT AVOIDING ANY PLACE OR TIME THAT I USED TO SMOKE I,M CREATING NEW HEALTHY ASSOCIATIONS.PS I CAN,T ATTACH THREADS BUT LOOK FOR EVERY QUIT IS DIFFERENT.RICKDABLER 1 WEEK 5 DAYS 7 HRS 40MINS NICOTINE FREE.

Patsy (Gold2)

03 Jul 2003, 20:25 #3

Before I found Whyquit.com & "Freedom", I had tried to quit smoking. I failed over & over being the victim of "just one". It was so pointless!! Almost everyone I knew, even if they had quit for a long time, had gone back to smoking.
My "independence day" came & I found "freedom" when I realized & understood that it really is as simple as
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF
YOU CAN DO THIS!!
Patsy
(Gotta dust off the quitmeter I used to watch the seconds click off)
Two years, one month, two weeks,
7 hours, 12 minutes and 23 seconds.
42641 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,863.21.
Life saved: 21 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, 25 minutes.
PS Don't use the excuse (lie) "I live with a smoker. I can't quit."
My husband is still scared & refuses to "get it"Image Image........but
YOU CAN!
Last edited by Patsy (Gold2) on 07 Mar 2009, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.

BubblyDoodlebug Gold

06 Jul 2003, 21:04 #4

If ever a thread was written just for me, this would be the one. I did this; I started eating my "favorite" foods when I quit smoking.  To be honest, and this is so embarrassing to admit, when I was doing all the reading before I quit, I read that you should watch your sugar when you quit because sometimes sugar will drop. I took that little bit of information and I ran with it. It became part of my motivation to quit, I really thought I could go back to eating like a normal person. I made myself so sick. Ended up on two new meds and the other one was doubled because me sugar went sky high and I couldn't get it down. I was a mess physically and mentally. When my sugar is up everything seems so big and distorted and my emotions are so out of control. I even did the same thing with the money I was saving from not buying smokes. "Oh I can buy this or do that because I am not spending any money on smokes." Well, I was spending five times more than what the smoking was costing me. I realized I don't "deserve" to be pampering myself to "death" because "I quit smoking". It's OK to be good to yourself, just use common sense while doing so. I do this a lot, I'll do good in one area only to mess up in another. I am nicotine free and my sugar 133 this morning. 1 month 3 weeks 3 days 825 smelly cigs not smoked. The education I have gotten here at Freedom I have found I can use in so many other areas in my life.
Last edited by BubblyDoodlebug Gold on 09 May 2013, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

11 Jan 2004, 20:16 #5

The Law of Addiction
Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

11 Sep 2004, 21:32 #6

We have a lot of new members posting a Freedom right now. Not that we have more new members than usual, but more who have decided to post rather than read. It is really important for each of you to spend the majority of your precious time here reading and acquiring the tools to make this quit last. It's okay to cheer a person on, but to give advice before understanding the implications of what you are saying, can be dangerous to someone reading here and posting for the first time.

It amazes me just how many "newer" members have come to grasp and learn the basics of nicotine addiction and point the newest readers in the right direction on the board, but every once in a while, I see a bit of The Teaching of Conventional Wisdom at Freedom mixed in.

There is only one thing each of us need to do to remain smoke free, nicotine free and healing for the rest of our lives, and that is to remember why we must never take another puff.
Linda
Last edited by GrumpyOMrsS (Gold) on 07 Mar 2009, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

29 Dec 2004, 10:50 #7

I saw a suggestion up earlier about things that a person can do rather than smoking--eating sunflower seeds being one of the suggestions. The same comment in the original post in this string about eating ice-cream can easily be said about turning to any high caloric food as a substitution for smoking. The advice we give at Freedom is not "do whatever it takes to quit smoking," but rather, "do what it takes to quit smoking." What it takes to quit smoking is simply sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!
Freedom is different than most other sites. We want our new members to be spending a lot more time reading than posting. It takes a lot more time and effort to meet people and write stories that it does to read. While meeting others and sharing your own stories might seem more fun it is not likely going to be giving you new insights to effectively deal with quitting. If you have questions or concerns let us know but spend the bulk of your time enhancing your learning about your addiction and how to treat it.
See also Crutches to Quit Smoking
Last edited by Joel on 07 Mar 2009, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

25 Nov 2006, 04:54 #8

I saw where a new member went out and got acupuncture after quitting. I know some people will think people should do whatever it takes to quit smoking. This string addresses this issue.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of people who have successfully quit smoking in this world did not use acupuncture, hypnosis, lasers, drugs or any other quitting aid to pull off their quits. Also, the vast majority of people who relied on acupuncture, hypnosis, lasers, drugs or any other quitting aids failed in their attempts with these products or services.

Our belief at Freedom is that people should not have to spend a penny on any product or service to quit smoking--all they need to do is make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

forza d animo

27 Dec 2006, 01:39 #9

Image I saw where a member wrote that they would do whatever it takes to quit smoking and nicotine. This is a common amongst newcomers. I think what people mean to write is, "Come what may, I will never use nicotine again." Knowing your addiction and how to minimize the side effects of withdrawl will certainly make it easier but all that it takes is a commitment to never take another puff.

Joseph
Gold x2

Joel

23 Oct 2007, 04:10 #10

I saw a comment written in a new member's thread that they should do whatever it takes to quit smoking, along with the additional comment that the person should exercise and drink lots of water.

The truth is, if a smoker drank enough water to adequately hydrate him or herself while he or she was a smoker, there is no real reason to increase the quantity of water consumption when he or she quits smoking. As far as for exercise, ex-smokers often find they can increase the amount of exercise they can do because of greater endurance capabilities they gain after quitting, but it is not something that any ex-smoker has to do, and, can be a problem if any ex-smoker starts to believe that the exercise regime is keeping him or her from smoking.

The string Crutches to Quit Smoking addresses this issue. Also, the video below talks about the risks of taking up exercise or drinking water as a substituted behavior for smoking:
Video Title Dial Up High Speed Audio Length Date added
"What bad habit should I replace it with?" 1.86mb 18.4mb 0.75mb 05:04 10/02/06