Divine Revelations

Divine Revelations

Joel

21 Dec 2000, 20:23 #1

Divine Revelations

Jeff was sitting at his desk talking on the phone to a business associate. The Stop Smoking Clinic which his company was sponsoring was about to begin. He was in the process of debating with himself as to whether or not he should show up for the group in which he was enrolled. Finally, he said to his friend, "No, I don't think this is the time for me. Maybe next time I will be more ready." All of a sudden a loud cracking sound filled the room. Jeff looked down at his glass ashtray and to his amazement he saw that it had split down the center. Without being physically touched, his ashtray had cracked in half. He looked up at the ceiling and said into the phone, "I have to hang up now, its time for me to quit smoking."

The above story may sound like an unlikely occurrence. But it actually happened to one of our clinic participants. While most smokers do not get such divine revelations, all smokers get direct messages that they should stop smoking. The messages come from the smoker's own body. It may be in the form of a cough, a chest pain, tingling sensation or numbness in an extremity, headaches, indigestion, difficulty in breathing and a multitude of other complaints. Unfortunately, though, while the messages are constantly being sent to the smoker, they are not often received.

Sure, the smoker will feel the symptoms, but he will often disregard any association with cigarettes as being the causative factor. Sue, another clinic participant, had constant bouts with chronic bronchitis. Her doctor told her she was highly allergic to cigarettes and had to quit smoking. She accepted the fact that an allergy was causing her problems, but refused to believe her sensitivity was to cigarettes. She changed her diet, got rid of her carpeting, wore hypoallergenic make-up, and dusted constantly. She did everything possible but quit smoking. Even with all the positive changes her condition did not improve. But when she finally quit smoking, the attacks immediately subsided. She could then no longer refute the evidence--cigarettes caused her bronchitis.

The odds are when you smoked, you too received personal messages that smoking was not for you. Always remember these warnings for they become very powerful ammunition for overcoming the occasional urges for cigarettes. Whenever Sue would get an urge, all she had to do was remember the pain and terror involved with a severe bronchitis attack. Jeff kept his cracked ash tray on his desk as a constant reminder of how he should not smoke. Think of your personal messages when the thought occurs and it will be easy for you to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

One humorous side note. On the fifth day of the clinic, Jeff confided to me that he was a little concerned because he was snacking more since he quit smoking and was afraid of gaining weight. I told him not to worry. When it was time for him to diet, he would probably go to the refrigerator and see the door fall off.
Last edited by Joel on 25 Apr 2015, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

21 Dec 2000, 20:24 #2

I saw Chele referred to devine interventions in an earlier post today to Heather. Thought I would repost this article to follow through on the concept.

Joel

Jitterbug

21 Dec 2000, 20:28 #3

Joel, I'm glad you brought this up again, too. I love this article. My daughter is on her 5th day of **** Week, and I've been bringing articles home to her. This is one of the articles I wanted to bring.

Jitterbug

Joel

01 Jan 2001, 22:37 #4

I know some people are quitting on a whim today, being new years and all, and that they sometimes think that it would be so much easier if they just had a clear cut reason that will make this quit different. Well in fact their usually is no one clear cut reason unless the person has waited to bottom out which is a risky way to quit. I will bring up a post on that in a minute. While there may not be one clear or focused reason, there are dozens of reasons that have been around for a long time but just never allowed to be developed and acknowleged by the active smoker. The addiction was clouding your sensibilities but once you clear the initial hurdle, detoxing the nicotine from your system so that your mind is the primary control of your actions, you will realize that you were getting messages to quit for a long time and will be glad you finally listened to them. To keep yourself in control once breaking nicotine's iron clad grip always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

05 Jan 2001, 20:01 #5

I just saw Casey write a post about quitting earlier than planned because of feeling a burning in her throat. Thought she would enjoy this.

Joel

mirigirl (silver)

14 Mar 2001, 07:27 #6

Hey Freedom Family ~ I love this post about Divine Revelation!

Yes... I've had lots of "messages" over the years...and now I am finally free!!
Thank God for Freedom!

Bought Freedom to this Nicotine Addict!

(PS I'm still waiting for the fridge door to fall off:-))

yqs Image Maz
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF
One month, three weeks, 10 hours, 32 minutes and 12 seconds of FREEDOM!!

trixie (gold)

17 May 2001, 11:19 #7

Image Hi, loved the message! I strongly believe in Divine Revelation, Divine Intervention., amd even Divine Retribution. As I have said before, I lost Mom on April 13th due to complications from lung surgery from smoking. We had many days in the hospital to discuss life & death issues. Mom was very spiritual and so am I, We discussed heaven often. I asked her to send me a sign when she got to the "other side". We talked about her being a butterfly, a bird, something that would tell me all was o.k. (not referring to reincarnation here) A few days ago, my son & I were outside and a butterfly was flying around us. I told my son about my conversation with Mom, he stood really still and held out his arm straight, palm up. The butterfly landed right on his palm. After it flew off (crying now) he asked me to try and see what happened. I stood the same way and the butterfly landed right on my palm. Who knows what this means, maybe nothing. But here in Illinois, the butterflies don't usually land on you unless you have petals and smell REALLY good. You can never catch them because they are so flighty. Anyway, great message, I choose the angel because Mom collected them. your quit friend, Tracy

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

17 May 2001, 11:34 #8

dear Tracy,

My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your mother. I'm sure that she knows you quit smoking and is very proud of you.

and Joel.....I'm still waiting for the door on my fridge to fall off or I'm not coming to see you next month. (just kidding)

hugs to you both,
Linda

Joanne Gold

17 May 2001, 11:50 #9

Well Tracy, I couldn't sleep and decided to sign on to check the board. Glad I did, your post really is something. I can relate to what Joel speaks about in this article. He knows it is one of my favorites, that is why I brought it up.Image When Joel first came to our forum I was a few days short of celebrating my one year milestone. What I have learned about my addiction since then, is amazing, I really feel equipped to survive now. I am grateful for the knowledge and the understanding, it is all God given.

Thanks for sharing your story, my heart is deeply touched. I lost my mother fours years ago, my sisters and I are always seeing wild birds in places that they usually don't come to. They are about landing on us at times. Each time one of us experiences an unusual "bird" situation, we share it with the other and relate it to our mother. The moment she died we were at her bedside and found two Mallard ducks quacking (very loud...and within seconds of her departure) outside her bedroom window...it was strange and none of us will forget it. Never before had any of us seen actual ducks in the area she lived.

Signs of hope are every where, using a computer to quit smoking? Who would have thought? When I see a newbie post and they tell us how it was in error they found us, it warms my heart. I just know each of us are being cared for.

Thanks Tracy, your note meant a lot to me. Keep up the good work. Our mother's are very proud.Image

With love and gratitude...your quit sister,

Joanne

ps. I live in Illinois, too. : )

Nopuffsmel gold1

30 Aug 2001, 21:59 #10

Joel - After reading Devine Revelations - I need to tell you my story. One evening I was sitting on the sofa watching tv and smoking a cigarette. I fell asleep with the cigarette still in my hand. Suddenly something or someone slapped me in the face. It really startled me because I knew I was the only one home and when I opened by eyes no one was there. That was always on my mind. Like I say - someone up there is looking out for me.

JUST ABOUT DONE WITH **** WEEK
Nopuffsmel