Diversions

Welcome to Freedom, a support group dedicated to educated cold turkey nicotine dependency recovery. Prior to applying to join, it is critical that you read: (1) The Law of Addiction (2) Our Mission Statement (3) Relapse Policy and (4) Rules.
John (Gold)

12 Apr 2005, 19:35 #31

Freedom is Different
If you are a new arrival to Freedom, looking in and trying to compare what you see here to what you'll find at other forums, it's really rather simple. This is one place on the Internet where the actively feeding nicotine addict gets no voice. We each already know most of the excuses used in order to justify that next fix, or used to attempt to explain relapse, and the time for games is over.

If you're looking for a fun filled place to make lots of new friends, a place that celebrates birthdays, anniversaries, hundreds of national or religious holidays, or where each new world current event gets discussion, focus or tribute, this isn't it.

But if you're looking for a place that attempts to take your freedom, health and life expectancy as seriously as the risks posed by your addiction, then you are in the right place. The risk that continuing dependency upon smoking nicotine will permanently impair or cripple your mind and health is tremendous. The risk that smoking will deprive you of 13 to 14 years of life is 50%.

Only in a drug addict's mind is an exchange of 5,000 sunrises for one chemical a rational trade. If you're not afraid to explore an addict's mind then you're in the right place.

We ask that you check your ego and sensitivities at the door as words are the only window we have into the junkie mind. Honesty may feel like tough love but do expect our members to notice and explore every potential denial minimization, rationalization and blame transference they see, as to ignore them is to leave you with fuel for relapse.

This can be the most amazing adventure we'll ever make if only we'll open our minds to the possibility that the real quitting took place on the day nicotine took control. Millions of words here at Freedom but just one guiding principle determining the outcome for all (a principle that will always be our common bond) ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff, Dip, or Chew! John (Gold x5)

Last edited by John (Gold) on 26 Apr 2009, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

09 Jul 2005, 04:31 #32

Freedom is a board with members from all over the word. Unfortunately, there are tradgedies and events occuring everywhere and every day... natural or man made, that may or may not affect the lives of Freedom's members. Below is a post Joel has written that explains why our boards is not a place to discuss these events:
I am bringing this one up again because I want to reemphasize the importance of keeping Freedom focused on not smoking. We appreciate that most of the rest of our members from other countries are behind America at this terrible time, but in fact we are not an American board, and we are not a board focused on any political or ideological issues, no matter how popular they may be. We are a truly international site whose members share one purpose--to break free and stay free from tobacco.

People come here to focus their attention on the importance of their quits. It is not that we are trying to be an escape here from other world issues. We all suspect most of our members are absorbed a good part of their days now on other issues and keeping apprised of such matters are likely of great importance. But I would suspect that if anyone here went to a bulletin board designed for supporting victims of terrorism and started writing about quitting smoking issues, you'd either be ignored or ridiculed by the majority of members there.

I would hope neither situation would happen, that instead of being ignored or ridiculed you'd be directed to go to a support group whose interest was helping you to quit smoking. That is what we feel here, that if any of our members feels the need to let out feelings on terrorism or support of America, spend time at sites dedicated to those premises. But spend your time here supporting your quit or helping others support their quits.

We are Freedom from Tobacco, and our members here are fighting to sustain their health and enhance the quality and lengths of their lives. They accomplish these goals by continuing to reinforce their focus and resolve to never take another puff!

Joel

Crystal View1.ffn

09 Jul 2005, 23:07 #33

am always awesomely grateful for Freedom and the support I receive here. My "addict ego" started working overtime in preparation for a trip home to visit my family, who all smoke. I have posted about my trips home before. There have been three since I quit using a drug to anesthetise the raw emotions of, well, life! I found myself reading Diversions and John's post: "Freedom is Different". It was just what I needed. "We ask that you check your ego and sensitivities at the door as words are the only window we have into the junkie mind" Wow, this will propel my honest view of what my executive assistant is doing and enable me to move forward in truth and reality!!! Thanks! Katie
Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for Eight Months, Twenty One Days, 2 Hours and 7 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Days and 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4507 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $911.19.
Last edited by Crystal View1.ffn on 26 Apr 2009, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

28 Sep 2005, 02:00 #34

Freedom though is a smoking cessation site, not a weight control site. If people are interested in weight control support groups there are plenty of them on the Internet, although it is probably best to talk with your doctor have your doctor refer you to a nutritionist for dietary counseling if you are considering any major dietary changes after quitting smoking.

Our only position on weight control is that it is possible to quit smoking and to stay smoke free even if you pursue other lifestyle changes--weight control efforts being one of them. To stay smoke free even when watching your weight is as easy as sticking to your commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

15 Jan 2006, 13:03 #35

What kind of focus would Noni have found if she'd arrived here while there was still time to make a difference? We're told that one-quarter of all adult smokers will die in middle-age. It may be true but let us dedicate ourselves to never being party to helping make it happen. Just one rule ... no nicotine today, Never Take a Puff!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 26 Apr 2009, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

12 Feb 2006, 04:52 #36

Quitting smoking is why people came here originally and why they stay. To reinforce their own resolve and to reinforce everyone else's, especially our newest members. We want people to grow more secure in their quits so that they have time and resolve to face other diversions, or more accurately, time and strength to live their life.

Joel

Joel

03 Apr 2008, 22:29 #37

I am copying a section of a post above that was addressing some legal issues around smoking restrictions. It explains how we historically have dealt with such issues at our board:

...We could spend time discussing these other issues, and some of them will not be so clear cut so that every single person reading here will share the same opinions. This can lead to some very lively debates. But when it comes down to it how is this debate really going to help any single individual quit. If any of us are pulled into these policy debates it leaves the opportunity for us to alienate or offend people of the opposing viewpoint. Why risk such confrontation when the issues at hand are not really crucial in helping secure any specific individual's quit?

There is another group of people who I worry about though even more than our regular members. It is people who are first looking into our site who are wanting to get help to quit smoking. What if the first post they saw was a string developing on smoking restriction laws being too permissive or being to prohibitive. What impression are they going to have of what Freedom from Tobacco is. Will they see this as a site where people are working at quitting smoking or may they conclude that we are a site set up and designed to enforce anti-smoking laws? Will we be viewed as their advocates or as anti-smoking policy enforcers? To a person who is off smoking for weeks or months a group working at strengthening such policies may not be seen as a bad thing, but to a person who is still using we can easily be viewed as a fanatical group trying to enforce smoking regulations to protect our rights to not have to breath polluted air.

This is an issue I have been very cautious about for over 30 years. I am often asked to speak at certain forums where second hand smoke and smoking restriction issues are the agenda. I have a very good track record of avoiding all of these engagements. In my first few years of lecturing I did do presentations to a few groups that were anti-smoking advocates. I never refused any groups that asked me to talk back then. These were of course easy lectures--I would talk about the dangers of smoking and everyone there would agree that people should not smoke. What could be easier? I never joined these groups but I would sometimes get written up in local papers as an expert coming out to push their cause.

The truth be known though is that their cause was not my cause. I have never focused my efforts to make people quit smoking. My desire has always been to help people who want to quit smoking to accomplish their goals. I do smoking prevention programs too, where I speak to kids about the dangers of smoking. Even in these programs I don't push the concept that they should not take up smoking because of social or moral implications but rather because of the long-term effects it is going to have on them specifically as opposed to the effects that it is going to have on others around them. I guess the only group that I will take a stand with is when lecturing to pregnant women but even then I point out that if the quit is going to last over the long-term the women are going to have to personalize their reasons for quitting to themselves and not to the children.

I feel the need at times to discuss second hand smoke issues here at Freedom but only on the point that second hand smoke will not cause a person to relapse, that nicotine cannot be delivered in a sufficient dosage to cause a person to go into withdrawal from exposure. If anyone raised the point that second hand smoke is going to put his or her quit on the line I will make it clear that this is not the case. I can also point out that there are health implications of second hand smoke exposure and that our members should avoid such exposure whenever possible for the benefit of their health. I will even come out stronger and say that if a person has specific allergies to tobacco smoke or COPD or cardiac conditions that they may need to make a real concerted effort to limit their exposure at all times and may even have to make a clear stand at a workplace or maybe even leave places because of the real immediate risks that are posed to them by second hand smoke exposure. Again, this is to protect people who are in a clear and present and immediate danger from such exposure and I feel like I am shirking an important responsibility if I do not address this group of people and even to help people who smoke realize that there are people out there at great risk from such exposure.

There are other sites out there to deal with these issues in depth and there are other experts out there who are not working at helping people quit but working instead on the legislative front. My only hope is that people who feel strongly on any side, if they are smokers themselves and one day realize that they want to quit, that they see us as a resource and people who are going to be their advocates in helping them to achieve their goal to never take another puff!

Joel