Jerm (Gold)
Jerm (Gold)

January 13th, 2003, 5:13 am #41

Hmm, fun posting...

Have you ever taken all of your butts out of the ash tray, emptied the tobacco out of them and rolled them up into papers to smoke them unfiltered... I have because I'm an addict!
Your Quit Brother
Jerm
364 days of being free from nicotine.

Lilycatt
Lilycatt

January 13th, 2003, 1:05 pm #42

I like this one, OBob -

Have you ever picked your old cigarette butts out of the dirt in the garden to salvage a puff? I have... because I'm an ADDICT.

Have you ever locked yourself in the bathroom and lit up, puffing the smoke out the window, and DENIED doing it to your husband when you got caught? I have... because I'm an ADDICT.

Lilycat
5 months

misha (Gold )
misha (Gold )

January 13th, 2003, 2:35 pm #43

Have you ever torn your house up knowing you have a pack somewhere??? Have you ever run up on packs in strange places and realized that your kid hid them because she was scared that you were going to smoke yourself to death? *sigh*

Yes, I have done all of the above, because I am an addict.

David Gold
David Gold

January 13th, 2003, 8:07 pm #44

Have you ever thrown a full pack(s) out the car window only to go back and get out of your car in the middle of a busy street to pick up the smashed pack and salvage as many as you could? I have because I'm an addict.

David
6 months +

Sherry30
Sherry30

January 13th, 2003, 8:49 pm #45

Have you ever risked you career to have a forbidden cigarette? After you had been caught once and reprimanded?

Have you ever been late to work so you could have "just one more"?

Have you kept your quit a secret, because that whole thing about telling everyone you're quitting hasn't helped the last 5 or 6 tries and the very idea of you trying to quit is now a joke?

I have. Because I'm an addict.

Sherry
1 week 9 hours

Lilycatt
Lilycatt

January 14th, 2003, 11:01 am #46

Oh Gormo, I have done that and more... I dried them in the oven! Why, because I'm an addict

Lilycat

BestieUK (Bronze)
BestieUK (Bronze)

February 11th, 2003, 11:42 pm #47

This is brilliant!

Have you ever..... gone out with your sister and your baby nephew and managed to remember the cigarettes but not the baby's bottles? Our mum never let us forget that one.

Have you ever..... gone through the ashtray beside your dad's bed and unpicked his old roll-ups and rolled the stinking old dregs of tobacco up and smoked it?

I have done both of these things, and plenty more, I'm sure, because I'M AN ADDICT. GRIM!

But now I haven't smoked for more than 3 Weeks 4 Days and 13 Hours.

Sharie (Bronze)
Sharie (Bronze)

February 12th, 2003, 12:03 am #48

Have you ever bummed money from a complete stranger or worse - your little children (birthday money), just so you could buy a pack of cigarettes? I have...cause I'm an addict.

Have you ever been late for work cause you were out of cigarettes and you were driving around looking for a gas station that accepted checks? I have..cause I'm an addict.

But I don't do these things anymore cause I quit!!!!! Yippee!

L z l
L z l

February 12th, 2003, 12:08 am #49

Talk about brutal honesty. But it's necessary and healthy I guess.

Okay. here's mine (and I am totally ashamed to admit it).

Have you ever had someone you love desperately in the hospital not knowing whether or not they were going to make it through the night, and you actually spent 10 minutes of every precious hour outside smoking your brains out ?

I did that, because I'm an addict, and I'm not sure I can ever forgive myself even though he survived just fine.

Lazuli

~ Quit Proud For 3 Weeks 2 Days 8 Hours 21 Minutes 34 Seconds!
700 Forlorn Gag-a-rettes still sitting on the store shelves, unloved, unwanted & Definitely NOT smoked ! ~

LornaMc5
LornaMc5

February 12th, 2003, 12:42 am #50

Have you ever... gotten antzy sitting at your mother's side in the hospital because she is on oxygen after having a severe asthma attack due to her smoking. And then you make up a stupid lie/excuse to be able to run outside and stand in the freezing cold to get your fix, and then you go back to her room reeking of smoke - and hear her say, "oh that smells so good, I wish I could have one"...

Have you ever... stood up to speak at your beloved stepfather's funeral and not been able to read your heart felt eulogy - not because you are too sad about the fact that he just keeled over from a massive smoking related heart attack nine days after his 58th birthday (it's true that you are so sad you think your heart might break too ) but you can't speak because you've got the kind of smoker's cough that hits whenever you cry or laugh - and right then, with hundreds of people looking to you on the podium for words of wisdom - you can't stop coughing...

Lorna Mc

so glad not to have used nicotine for 1 week 13 hours 40 minutes and the seconds just keep tickin' away...

smokefreeJD Gold
smokefreeJD Gold

February 12th, 2003, 12:47 am #51

Have you ever seriously considered pawning something valuable in order to have enough money to buy cigarettes? I have... that was about as rock bottom as I hope I ever get in my life. Luckily I still have the diamond ring I got when I turned 16, it's a family heirloom, but it was almost history. Only a drug addiction can make us do something absurd like that.

Jill
4 Months 1 Week 2 Days

Trew Silver
Trew Silver

February 12th, 2003, 1:01 am #52

Have you ever...smoked night after night in your brand-new car, that you and your fiance just bought and promised each other you would not smoke in but you did it anyway, after he was admitted to the hospital after having 2 TIAs (mini strokes), knowing that he is a 30-year smoker and knowing that his doctors have told him since admitting him that he must quit smoking now and suspecting that his problems are hypertension and smoking-related? Duh-HUH....I have. I am an addict.

Tracy
I have been Quit for: 3W 1D 20h 45m 3s.

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

February 12th, 2003, 10:57 am #53

Speaking of cars............

Have you ever tossed a cigarette out the window of your car only to have it blow back in the back window which was cracked...except you didn't notice and went on in to your meeting and came back out a couple of hours later to discover it had burned a hole the size of a dinner plate in your back seat? Have you ever done that and paid lots of money to replace the seat and berated yourself and been so ashamed you never told anyone but your husband...but you kept on smoking anyway? I have. I'm an addict.

(And now I've told all of you, too.)

Parker - 8 months of not smoking in my car or anywhere else for that matter!

David Gold
David Gold

February 12th, 2003, 11:08 am #54

Have you ever made an excuse to leave the basement where the rest of the family is huddled during a tornado warning so you could sneak a cigarette? I have because I'm an addict.

David
7 months +

IrishLotus GOLD
IrishLotus GOLD

February 13th, 2003, 4:32 am #55

(Inspired by Parker's awry window toss)

Have you ever tossed a cigarette butt out the window of your car, only to have it come back in the driver's side window, and go down into the back of your pants and you nearly get in an accident, skipping across lanes on I-95 trying to keep yourself from catching on fire?

I have, because I am an addict.

Man...maybe I shouldn't have shared that one (How embarrassing to almost set your butt on fire with a butt, huh?). Well, I know THAT will never happen again, because now
I AM FREE!
Lotus
HEALING 4+ Months

Toast (GOLD )
Toast (GOLD )

February 13th, 2003, 5:04 am #56

Heya MK,

I dropped one between my legs on hot summer day, driving down the parkway. How elegant I must've looked trying to get the lit butt away from my short-clad thighs, etc., while trying not to wreck!

Another time I threw a butt out the window and it blew back, but I didn't notice - til the quilt in the back caught fire! That was a handmade, cotton-filled quilt my great grandmother had made. Was is the word.

Alas.

So don't feel alone in your embarrassment! Luckily, we aren't compelled to put ourselves in those positions anymore.

Melissa
20 months

MsArmstrongKIS
MsArmstrongKIS

February 26th, 2003, 5:39 am #57

Have you ever borrowed your parents' car for a semester while you were student teaching, and they promised you could have it for your last semester at college AS LONG AS YOU DIDN'T SMOKE IN IT, which you DID, of course, because student teaching is stressful and blah blah blah, so now you are flipping burgers for minimum wage instead of substitute teaching for $125/day. . .because your parents meant what they said and took the car away?

I have. I'm an addict.

By the way, I'm absolutely furious with my parents for doing this to me, but something tells me I'm going to be intensely grateful for it later on. For all of you with teens who smoke, make it hard on them!! I'm probably lucky to have parents who are favoring this tough love approach. . .because without it I don't think I'd have quit at all, not even with the help of Freedom.

Alex

1 week three days 22 hours 38 seconds

Toast (GOLD )
Toast (GOLD )

February 26th, 2003, 5:46 am #58

Hey Alex,

Hats off to your parents! Go give them a hug from me! I know it's hard on you, but these are the consequences of your choices. Just like heart disease, cancer, stroke, emphysema, etc. are hard on those suffering the consequences of smoking.

At least you are only temporarily flipping burgers and not planning chemotherapy, eh?

Melissa
21 months

sharonah silver
sharonah silver

February 26th, 2003, 6:00 am #59

Hello,

My name is Sharon and I am a nicotine addict.

I have done 99% of things listed here, maybe more. What shames me most is leaving the hospital bedside of a loved one because my addiction was more important. My loved one, also a smoker, and on a respirator in a room just behind the nurses station in ICU, would beg me for just one puff. We had once had a conversation about how his father begged for a smoke on his hospital deathbed and no-one would give him one. He wanted to make me promise that I would never do that to him. I think I made that promise, but when it came right down to it, I could not keep it. My loved one did not survive, and I still live with the guilt of what I did. And it has been almost 20 years.

Nicotine free for 1 month 4 days 1 hour 57 minutes and ever counting up
420 stinky smelly cigs NOT smoked
$79.99 NOT in big tobaccos pocket
1 day 11 hours of my life saved ~~ PRICELESS

MsArmstrongKIS
MsArmstrongKIS

February 26th, 2003, 6:10 am #60

True enough. I know that there are a lot of people here who have kids and I want to make sure they are aware that I am not kidding when I say that I'm furious with my parents right now. I won't speak to them and am being extremely cross about the whole thing. I am pretty sure this is hurting them.

If you ever find yourself in this position with your kids (or anyone who is in your care for anything) in regards to smoking--don't give in! I think I need to be this angry at my parents right now because what it actually is is anger at myself. I'll simmer down. I know it is really hard for them to stick to their guns but THANK GOD THEY ARE. It's very weird to have so much hostility combined with a lot of gratefulness.

Anyway, smoking has lots of consequences before people start looking like Bryan and Noni, and I think it's best to feel them as intensely as possible so that you DON'T end up looking like them.

BikenutGOLD
BikenutGOLD

February 26th, 2003, 11:40 am #61

YEp, I have done it all. because I am an addict!. I have burnt myself, burnt my car, gone out in a blizzard so bad I walked 4 miles to by some smokes, because the roads were too bad to drive. I have driven many miles late at night becasue the nearest 24-hour mart was a long way, 20miles or so. I have also sorted through ashtrys and rerolled some old rank tobaco to get my fix.

And they say nicotine is a choice, and not an addiction. I know better because I am an addict!

No More!!!

---
1w 4d 4:38 smoke-free, 564 cigs not smoked, $126.90 saved, 1d 23:00 life saved

Laureysgold3
Laureysgold3

February 26th, 2003, 1:13 pm #62

Ok, here's mine...
Have you ever had your water break (ok, guys excluded), and gone out for a smoke before calling the doctor, then gone out to smoke again before waking your husband, then smoking again before leaving for the hospital, and then being surprised when you started bleeding uncontrollably (placenta abruption is directly related to smoking) during labor which led to an emergency c-section...only to smoke the moment you got out of the car upon arriving at home?
I have, I'm an addict.
Laurey
3months, 3days, 23hours,8mins.,40sec. clean.
2878 cigarettes not smoked, money saved, $604, life is now longer by 2weeks, 5days, 23hours, 49mins.,31sec.

66skylark
66skylark

February 27th, 2003, 2:17 pm #63

Have you ever turned down the trip of a lifetime? I turned down 2 trips to Majorca, Spain and one to Germany (all paid for) because I couldn't stand the thought of the long flight without a smoke. Now the chance is gone! I did because I am an addict.

Two months, three days, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 34 seconds. 2606 cigarettes not smoked, saving $586.52. Life saved: 1 week, 2 days, 1 hour, 10 minutes.

Judi

Free4ever (Silver)
Free4ever (Silver)

February 28th, 2003, 4:36 am #64

Have you ever snapped your cigarettes in half and put them in the bin - determined never to smoke again - only to rut them out of the bin two hours later and stick a one back together again with tape.... I HAVE BECAUSE I'M AN ADDICT. I also have to say that it tasted really weird (never having smoked plastic before) and gave me a really bad head ache.

Thank goodness those days are long gone.
YQS
Free4ever
I have been nicotine free for 3M 4D 17m 49s.

LornaMc5
LornaMc5

March 7th, 2003, 12:31 am #65

Hi Woggy!

Welcome to the site! Good to have ya here posting & showing your "colors" so to speak... There are a few other bikers here. My Green brother, Tubes, rides. So do I.

I'll tell ya one thing - I sure won't miss HAVING to pull up just to smoke.

Or have you ever gone ahead and smoked while still riding, and had the cherry from the cigarette go under your shades and into your eye!! Ouch!

I've been there because I'm a nicotine addict...

Biking is better when you don't smoke!

Your quit sis,

LornaMc
1 month 2 days 13 hours 27 minutes... (wow!)